Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Build in NEMA 4X Enclosures

Guest guest

Alot of you may not know me, I was a big Halloween guy then this year changed over to Christmas. I am inclined into electrical so I thought I would post up some j-box (junction box pictures). I wanted more protection for my LOR controllers I just got this year, so I optioned for NEMA 4X protection in a fiberglass box from AutomationDirect.com. I also used cord grips to keep the protection active against moisture or rain. I'll keep you posted as I get this stuff online for the first time this year. It's been alot of fun for sure.

Attached files 86247=5197-lightorama01.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice looking boxes.

I'm looking at plactic beacuse it's lighter and a little easier to drill but I'm a little concerned about heat buildup. The 4X are water-spray tight so there's no air circulation and plastic is an insulator whereas steel conducts heat away.

Did you have any problems with heat even though you are in Indiana?

I didn't have any problems with heat because it's 20 degrees outside in Dec. (like you said)....We've had alot of rain this year, it's raining right now, and no water has gotten in anywhere. My main concern was WATER. I wanted a completly sealed enclosure, even using sealing washers on the cord grips.

Attached files 112270=6736-lights-001.jpg

chakorules wrote:

... so I optioned for NEMA 4X protection in a fiberglass box from AutomationDirect.com.
I also used cord grips to keep the protection active against moisture or rain.

What size is the NEMA 4X enclosure? (or part number)
Is the bottom sub-panel purchased from AutomationDirect.com or did you fabricate your own?
Where do you get your cord grips?

I may be building four more 16 channel controllers for 2007 so I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks for the hints!

That is a nice setup and way of protecting the board. I don't have lor yet but hope to for 2007, I will bulid my own. I like the enclosures that you show here and have looked at them. But I wonder what kind of moisture bulid up from temp changes and being sealed up would cause or create or would this not even be a problem in doing it this way? I also live in south georgia so it stays warm alot, would it need venting of some sorts to prevent heat build up? I dont know how arm thse get. Thanks..

Griswold wrote:

What size is the NEMA 4X enclosure? (or part number)

Here are the part numbers:

12 x 10 J-Box
HW-J121005SC
desc: 4SCREWS OPQ CVR GRY 4X 12X10X5IN

12 x 10 Sub Plate
HW-MP1210A
desc: SUB-PANEL ALUMINUM FITS 12X10IN

Be careful you don't seal it TOO well! You must leave a way for condensation to exit.

I fight this problem with a small 20 w. heater element that is always on and some sort of small hole on the bottom.