Light-O-Rama Forums

Solder irons

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

I haven't soldered anything for oh 30 years, is a 60 dollar solder iron good enough to solder the EDM transmitter or am I looking at a much higher number, and the next question is should I solder this myself or pay some one to do this??? :D

Guest Don Gillespie

friskybri wrote:

shoot a $30 dollar one is good enough. 40 watts or so is what I use for everything.

Its been a long time since I soldered must be like riding a bike, keep in mind I fell off my bike lots LOL

Heat the wire first..Let it suck the solder then the chase and the wire..A smooth flow asures no cold slder joints. Good luck !!! If it looks like "Gorillia" welding ..not hot enough..Board starts to bubble , tooo hot !!!

Remember you get what you pay for. I would highly recommend getting one where it's temp controlled, changeable tips. Well worth the money, you never know what else you'll need to solder.

If all you're doing is the power jack for the EDM, don't spend a bazillion...30 watt or so iron, nothing fancier needed...not like you're doing SMDs or such...

I've grown accustomed to a cordless iron, but the classic 30-40 watt corded pencil iron will do you fine

Guest Don Gillespie

DonFL wrote:

If all you're doing is the power jack for the EDM, don't spend a bazillion...30 watt or so iron, nothing fancier needed...not like you're doing SMDs or such...

I've grown accustomed to a cordless iron, but the classic 30-40 watt corded pencil iron will do you fine

Thanks guys