Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini but mega trees

JimCanfield

Here is my thought. My mini trees made out of tomato cages with 600 lights on them for 3 years have basically given out. Some strands have gone out, so I just wrapped another strand and left the old one on there. Basically I have to much weight for those poor tomato cages, and I am kind of tired of that look. So what I came up with was to have a typical 36" mini tree, but set it up like a mega tree. It will have 4 channels per color. I'm sure this has been done, and if it has, how did it look? I am thinking of replacing my 8 mini trees with 8 mini mega style trees. It will be red and green with each color getting 4 channels so all 8 will do the same thing. I have 16 free channels so I have 8 more if needed.

JimCanfield wrote:

Here is my thought. My mini trees made out of tomato cages with 600 lights on them for 3 years have basically given out. Some strands have gone out, so I just wrapped another strand and left the old one on there. Basically I have to much weight for those poor tomato cages, and I am kind of tired of that look. So what I came up with was to have a typical 36" mini tree, but set it up like a mega tree. It will have 4 channels per color. I'm sure this has been done, and if it has, how did it look? I am thinking of replacing my 8 mini trees with 8 mini mega style trees. It will be red and green with each color getting 4 channels so all 8 will do the same thing. I have 16 free channels so I have 8 more if needed.
i didn't do that exactly but have made something like that to test my mega tree sequences in my office.

JimCanfield wrote:

how did it look?
pretty good, made a hoop out of irrigation tubing so that it would maintain shape. once hooked up to my controllers looks like a mini version of my mega tree.

• 6 months later...