Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaping arches

Kevin Doucet

I know there is alot of post about leaping arches but i read thru alot of them and didn't see anything about how you get them to bend, I bouthgt a piece of pvc pipe 10' sch 40 and when I tried to bend it, it snap in 2. I probably didn't do it right, any advice.

In Louisiana it bends easy in 100 deg.f
In Canada you may have to warm it in the house first.
Most people drive rebar into the ground about 6 ft apart for 10 ft sections at a 30 deg.angle towards each other.

I havn't made mine yet but I understand heat plays a major part in bending.

I plan on buying and bending my 16' aches in the next few weeks.

When I know it will be 30 or above (around 90 F) I will try bending them and use rope or wire to keep the shape.

Gotta tell you that you have me a little worried...

Guest Don Gillespie

The pvc bends very easy I use one inch sections for my lights there is seven of them then i use a 34 inch pvc at 10 feet in length insert your one inch sections on the 34 inch pvc drive two pieces of rebar into the ground about 7 feet apart if you want a higher arch then put your rebar closer together I don't recomend anything closer than 5 feet as the pvc pipe will break however I found at around seven feet apart you get a nice arch approximatly 3 feet in hieght next slide the 34 inch pvc over the rebar and voila you have a nice arch plug everything and watch the magic

Don wrote

The pvc bends very easy I use one inch sections for my lights there is seven of them then i use a 3 inch pvc at 10 feet in length insert your one inch sections on the 3 inch pvc drive two pieces of rebar into the ground about 7 feet apart if you want a higher arch then put your rebar closer together I don't recomend anything closer than 5 feet as the pvc pipe will break however I found at around seven feet apart you get a nice arch approximatly 3 feet in hieght next slide the 3 inch pvc over the rebar and voila you have a nice arch plug everything and watch the magic

I am lost now !!!

PaulXmas wrote:

When I know it will be 30 or above (around 90 F) I will try bending them and use rope or wire to keep the shape.

I think I tried to bend it a bit too much, previous post says rebar at 6' apart, i didn't measure mine but pretty sure was closer then that, will just have to try again at 6' apart. I was also thinking of trying to cut a piece a ply wood in the shape of an arche and cut it at like 2" wide and then insert that into the type of pvc that is usually use for burial it comes in a roll instead. Just wondering if that would be better for the Cold winter here in canada.

Kevin,

What size PVC did you use? Most of us use 3/4 inch for arches and have no problems with bending them. If you are drilling holes in them for any reason, it will weaken them.

Kevin Doucet wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:

I think I tried to bend it a bit too much, previous post says rebar at 6' apart, i didn't measure mine but pretty sure was closer then that, will just have to try again at 6' apart. I was also thinking of trying to cut a piece a ply wood in the shape of an arche and cut it at like 2" wide and then insert that into the type of pvc that is usually use for burial it comes in a roll instead. Just wondering if that would be better for the Cold winter here in canada.

Never heard of anybody having this problem even in cold weather. Bent mine for the first time at the end of November at about freezing temperatures. Spaced probably about 5.5' - 6'. Used 10' white 1/2" PVC with 1" black poly sleeves over it ("Harbs Sleeves").

Maybe we make our PVC here in the States with better quality materials than you Canadians. :D

Get the grey electrical pvc as mentioned above.Its made for bending.The white pvc in cold weather can break pretty easily.I use 1 inch grey pvc and like how the light spacing came out on my arches with incadescent lights.Hope they come out as good when i change them over to led lights in a couple weeks.I also used a come-a-long to bend my arches.I then put a peice of wire about 6 inches up from each end and made the bend permanent.

Guest Don Gillespie

Ron Amedee wrote:

I think you meant 3/4":shock::D

Ha Ha Ha Ron you are right a guy misses one hyphen and a 4 no wonder you were lost LOL yes I use 34 inch pvc for the main sleeve. hopefully that clears everything up. :P

my problem was i was using pvc that was too big, i tried 2'', now that i all your comment i bought a 3/4" today and it bend no problem, thanks for your advice..

Guest Don Gillespie

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Maybe we make our PVC here in the States with better quality materials than you Canadians. :P

Now thats funny, maybe you guys use more vinyl than plastic in the PVC, :P

Yo Paul you do not need 30c to bend grey electrical conduit pipe. I bend that stuff at CT almost each time I go in there, 1/2" or 3/4"

My basement is like 16c and even though I am only bending 1/2 grey electrical conduit pipe, it bends easy.

I am going 1/2 inch for my fans. I am making a PVC base for the two fans. Going with 10ft fans this time instead of 12ft like last year. Making the fans into two parts.

By the way, why do you want 16 ft arches? You saw just how big my fans were at 12ftwide and 6ft tall.

I can say 3 good things about using a trampoline for fans or arches, you get a perfect arch, and per installed marks. Those slots where the springs go make good guidelines when adding lights. Ever second slot. Disadvantage for arches is that you might not be able to use sleeves. The third thing is that they are strong.

Two 10ft 3/4 grey electrical conduit pipe should do the trick for you, unless you can buy 2 12ft pipes.

Surfing4Dough wrote

Never heard of anybody having this problem even in cold weather. Bent mine for the first time at the end of November at about freezing temperatures. Spaced probably about 5.5' - 6'. Used 10' white 1/2" PVC with 1" black poly sleeves over it ("Harbs Sleeves").

Surfing4dough said it that SAME way I do it here in Upstate NY! As cold as it gets here, I had no issues!

I have three arch's and I am using 20 foot pieces and I have them at 10 feet wide each as an arch. I am using white 3/4 inch schedule 40 pvc. I have used them in the summer and winter both hot and cold. Never had an issue with bending them. My arches are three years old now with no issues or breaks.

Take care and have fun with your arches.

• 2 months later...

Miller Automation wrote:

ok so new what do you put on it (lights) for chasing or what not

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Can you clarify your question?