Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem downloading v 2.9.4

Tim P

Hello all,

I have a new laptop and I am trying to download the latest version of software, I have followed the instructions but are get meesages that read,

Error: Bad file name or number on step. Install Demos.

Lor is not correctly installed.

Any idea what is wrong? I also have my product key ready, but never got to a point to enter it. I hit save, and then eventually the run button when prompted, and it appears the programs are there (start/all programs/lor/control panel. That is when it goes through a few steps/accept etc, then the error message.

Thanks.

Tim

My initial thought is is to uninstall, and re-download the file and start completely over (meaning don't try to just reinstall what you already downloaded). Sometimes it is just due to a corrupted download initially.

At some point before it puts out that error message, I believe it would have asked you for a directory to store your LOR data files in. What directory did you specify? Does the Windows user account you are using have security privileges to access that directory?

What happens if you specify some other directory instead?

Ok Bob, I got some info.
It wants to put it into cprogram files (x86) light o rama.

It does give me an option to "change" but I don't know what to.

last, I am not sure about windows user account and security privileges?

HOpefully this helps

Thanks
Tim

Tim P wrote:

Actually Bob, I found the screen right before the error has this info for a directory,

c:usersownerdocumentslight o rama.

That make more sense?

Tim

Are you logged on as with the Windows user account named "owner"? Or some other account?

Does the directory "c:usersownerdocuments" exist?

What happens if you try some other directory? For example, "c:LORData"?

Tim P wrote:

yes im logged in under owner, also yes, the directory exists.

not sure about another location, havent tried, don't know how.

tim

When it asks you to select a directory to put your LOR data files into, push the little "..." button to the right of where the directory name is shown. That should open up a folder browsing dialog allowing you to select a different directory.

Bob I tried that, same thing happens. I must being doing something wrong. The only thing that I can see that is different, I upgraded to Internet Explorer 9 right before I tried to download LOR to this laptop.

Puzzled, or shall I say clueless.
Tim

Tim P wrote:

Bob I tried that, same thing happens. I must being doing something wrong. The only thing that I can see that is different, I upgraded to Internet Explorer 9 right before I tried to download LOR to this laptop.

Puzzled, or shall I say clueless.
Tim

I'm not sure, but maybe we're talking about two different things... Are you talking about the directory that you put the download into? So, you click on the download link in your browser, and choose a directory?

If so, I'm talking about something after that. When you run the installer (after having downloaded it), and it gives you that "Error: Bad file name or number on step. Install Demos." message, it should have asked you, immediately before that,

Light-O-Rama needs to know where you would like to store your data, such as sequences and audio files. If you would like to specify the folder where Light-O-Rama should store these files, select it now. Otherwise, Light-O-Rama will create its own folder.

Under that should be a text box with some directory name in it, and to the right a button that's labeled "...". If you push that "..." button, it should open up a directory browser, which you can use to select a different directory.

If your using a windows 7 machine, and its the professional or home premium edition, you might want to try installing LOR in XP SP3 mode, go to the download folder where you saved the 2.9.4 installer right click on the icon, select compatibility and choose XP SP3. I had this same error on another installer from a different software vendor and that worked for me. I know LOR is 7 compliant,

Paul,
you are correct, I have windows 7 and yes it is home premium edition. I also followed your instructions and when I got to "check compatability"... there was no option to select xp sp3.
What happend after I hit check compatibility, it gives u options to check a box.

Any other ideas or help? I think you are onto something though.

T

do not use the view downloads option that IE9 opens up, just use windows explorer and go to the download folder, usually located in your C:usersyournamedownloads Right click on the LOR download icon, click Properties then Compatibilty and there you should see the "run this program in compatibilty mode" click that box(see attached pic)then click the box that says "run as administrator" hit Apply. now you can try to install again

If you don't see this compatibilty tab, make sure you have Windows Service Pack 1 installed on your machine. I use Windows 7 Professional, but my wifes computer is Home Premium SP1 and it shows the compatibilty tab.

hope this helps

Attached files 248701=13502-LOR Properties.JPG

Paul, THANKs, your instructions were easy to follow, and I did exactly what you said, However it didnt work. Wonder if I should do what you said but maybe in a different order( meaning "remove LOR" ) and start completely over. or restart etc
Thoughts?

Tim

you could try installing LOR in a different directory, say c:/LOR/ instead of the default directory. it couldn't hurt.