Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Off

Nurples

This is my first year doing an animated display and I just wanted to show off a sequence that I think is one of the best I've done (of 7 completed). It's to Wizards Of Winter and even though the song is fast and very active, I think it was one of the easier songs I've done. Tell me what you think... You can say it sucks, I'm cool with that. :D

I liked it as well. I think it is cool to see that song so many times and each time it is different.

That actually doesn't suck too bad at all... But you'll still look back at it in a few years and shudder...

I hate to admit it (tho I am sure I'm not the only one) but I am SOOO over Wizards in Winter. However, it appears to be a very popular piece. And TSO keeps a strong steady beat with its music, making it very visually effective when sequenced well.

Your version is very visually effective. I like the way you've grouped the elements for the different sections of the piece. And I like that you move to different elements, but use them in a similar way, when the song motifs repeat. (I'd have motifs if Ida brushed my teefs more as a youngun!)

I also agree with George: As good as it looks, you'll be saying in a year or two "I can't believe I uploaded THAT for everyone to look at!"

Keep it up.

haha... Thanks for the comments. I let my wife watch it and she said she was bored about half way through and that it seemed to be repetitive. Hope she get's more supportive by Christmas time. I'd hate to put up all these lights alone. lol

An interesting issue with the visualizer is that you can "see" your whole yard without moving your eyes. Does that make sense?

When you go live with your show it will cover your whole yard, people watching will have to move their eyes around (or even their heads) to follow your lights. As a result they don't see the whole display at once. Sometimes they even get fixated on one element, waiting to see what will happen next.

That might be why your wife said she was bored half way through. Watching on the visualizer she can see the all the arches move while still seeing the roof line lights. When you go live that won't be the case.

I have had people tell me they have to come back several times to see the whole display. They started watching my Robin Wheel and didn't see any of the other lights LMAO!

Trust me, your live show will be awesome! My first year I had 16 channels total. I look back at the videos and think to myself "how the hell did I get so excited over that?" You just won't believe how great the live show will be!

Inspiring for a first timer like me too so I remember it's possible for the first year and glad to see I'm heading in a different direction with my version. It gets old when you see everybody doing the same thing over and over again.
As a complete novice myself I think it's a good start.
Santa's firetruck is my inspiration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KuP8iDkHU
While they have most of it automatic and kinda boring I want to go for the energy of the chorus like they have.

excuse me but being a retired firefighter that video of the truck rocks YOU HEAR ME!

Mark Showalter wrote:

Nice work Nurples! Remember, as good as this looks in the visualizer it will look so much better in real life.

Thanks! I sure hope so. I would imagine that it would be much more entertaining on a larger scale anyways. On the screen, it's just a few flashing dots, not a whole yard and house. :)

Thats why the wife thinks I am nuts !!! Elements spend much time in the family room during sequencing to see the real effect. Do one ...Then in comes the next....HUMMM...If I start hanging them from the ceiling and some on the walls ..Might be able to fit the whole yard inside !!!!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

Might be able to fit the whole yard inside !!!!!

I do have a very large basement! hummmmm.....