Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 7 Update - Do not choose optional USB Serial port updates

paulanator

Hey Gang,

I should know better, but tonight I chose to install a couple of optional Windows 7 drivers for the serial/USB port. The drivers are called FTDI USB Serial Converter and Port.

These immediately hosed my LOR connection. I tried to roll back the drivers, and it still would not work. I did a system restore to yesterday, and that worked, and everything was back to normal.

I repair computers for a living and run updates on computers all day long, and I should have known better, but hey, newer driver, really cool, probably need it... not so much.

Just don't choose it like I did and it will not install since it is optional. Usually Windows updates don't have problems (except video drivers windows likes to push on you) so this was a bit weird, and may have been fixed by some fiddling, but a system restore was quick and easy and solved the problem.

I have attached a screen shot to show you the drivers you DO NOT want to install.

Back to my midnight sequencing and installing random updates for random reasons...

Attached files 246373=13407-Bad USB update.JPG

Know what you mean Paul. This update changed my com port number to 10 or 11 I think. The original numbers were 'in use' but had nothing connected to them. Had a tough time getting the lower numbers usable again.

HMMM...I have been having issues with my COM ports failing when my show goes on every night. I wonder if this installed without me knowing...

Now I have to look into this! Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Greg