Light-O-Rama Forums

Credit Card Fraud

BrownOut

I use a PayPal credit card for online purchases so I can watch and block online activity if there is a problem- I have it setup so I have to verify and allow each transaction. I placed an order online with a holiday vendor (I am not going to disclose the site or name on the forum and no, it is not LOR) and hours later had a call from MasterCard informing me about fraudulent charges trying to be made to the card.

The holiday company I ordered from called me that the card declined and I gave them my bank card Visa number- the same thing happened to that card later in the day. Today was my third order this year from this company and forth time I have had to cancel a credit card and get a new one. One of the orders was made over the phone to the company and I never entered it on my computer. This seems kind of odd.

Anyone else have similar problems this year?

I don't use Paypal much anymore other than to send payments occassionally.

But I use my CC to order online all the time. So far I've had to cancel my card twice since January. The kicker is that these are not off the wall sites. These are sites that I've used for years.

I know WikiLeaks has hacked both Visa and Mastercard at least once this year, so who knows how many card numbers were stolen and cloned.

Anyhow, it sounds like this company that you are trying to purchase from has a skimmer and doesn't know it.

I certainly would call the offending dealer, ask for the owner/president and let them know of your problem. They need to get rid of that skimmer today. I'd ask that they call you back and let you know their findings. Otherwise, don't order again from them without that assurance.

Richard

The skimmer could be either a hardware (which would be pretty easy to spot) or a software (they need to get a good updated virus detection product).

The other option is that one of their employees is stealing/selling your CC info. That's a pretty common occurance now-a-days.

The possibilities are endless. But this is a good place to start just to see if anyone else is having the same problem with the vendor. If no one else is, then it's gotta be one of the options above.

My Mastercard and Discover card both have the option to use a "virtual" credit card. From their web site, I can generate a CC number that is limited to one use only. Once it's entered on a vendors site for a purchase, that number is useless to anyone else.

I hate paypal and will never ever use a debit card for any online purchase.

A little bit of cheap security,I use prepaid cards that way I only load what I need.only 3 bucks if you use it not bad in my book

BrownOut wrote:

I use a PayPal credit card for online purchases so I can watch and block online activity if there is a problem- I have it setup so I have to verify and allow each transaction. I placed an order online with a holiday vendor (I am not going to disclose the site or name on the forum and no, it is not LOR) and hours later had a call from MasterCard informing me about fraudulent charges trying to be made to the card.

The holiday company I ordered from called me that the card declined and I gave them my bank card Visa number- the same thing happened to that card later in the day. Today was my third order this year from this company and forth time I have had to cancel a credit card and get a new one. One of the orders was made over the phone to the company and I never entered it on my computer. This seems kind of odd.

Anyone else have similar problems this year?

So maybe I'm missing something but...you have had this happen with the same company multiple times?