Light-O-Rama Forums

Window Shell Commands

CK57

What is the best "Window Style" setting to enable RDS enabled radios to see the name of your song being played. There are several settings but minimal information on what the results would be?

I can't say for sure since I don't know anything about the RDS program that you use, but I kind of doubt that it matters.

The window style option controls how the program that you start up is displayed on your computer's screen. So, for example, if you have a sequence that you tell to start up your web browser, the option allows you to say whether the browser should be maximized, minimized, or so forth.

For something like a program that sets what your RDS is broadcasting, I imagine that the program starts up, sets the broadcast data, and shuts down, all more or less instantly, and its window style wouldn't affect the data that it's setting.

I think I personally would go with "minimized", but again, I suspect that it doesn't matter.

I am referring to the settings which would enable you to transmit the name of the song playing in a sequence and picked up in a car or truck with an RDS enabled radio. From the LOR notes it reads as though you can edit the Window Shell Commands to pick up the name of the song as you enter it in the command line, and when the song is played it would be transmitted with the audio signal? This would be a nice feature. I could even see where you could use a short music gap to send out a message such as "Remember to dim your lights" over the radio display just before a sequence started.

LOR's Windows Shell Command feature can be used to start up any Windows program whenever a particular sequence is played.

One example of a Windows program that it could start up would be a program that sets the RDS data that is broadcast. Many people who use LOR's Windows Shell Command feature actually do use it for this purpose.

For that particular use, I doubt that the "Window Style" option matters.

JD,

I don't run RDS but have read. Check your RDS software. Some will write out anything that is in a particular define folder. So it would be a mattter of writing what you want sent via RDS into that folder or file.

So the LOR windows command would do something like copy from point A to point B.

Chuck

There is alot of info in that posting to absorb. As the last entry was commented in 2008 what is the current status of the security issue in regard to sharing the Shell Command between multiple computers. I generally sequence on one, use another for my actual shows. Should I wait until my sequences are completed and copied to the show computer before I modify the Shell Commands, or will they work with the 2.94 software? Also, I am using a Ramsey FM Transmitter, and I have no idea what my soundcard frequency is able to send. How do I check that to confirm that the signal is going to work? I need to read thru that posting a couple more times. Thanks for the link.

There are no security or frequency issues like that.

The PC sound card output is standard non-amplified like any mp3 player jack. Your transmitter will accept any input and transmit on your selected frequency.

The windows command you enter into a sequence is actually stored in a file named cmdmap.lcm

If you are using windows shell commands and also use different PCs to program and as your show computer, you need to copy cmdmap.lcm to the show computer also.

Thanks for posting that Ken, and thanks to the author Pat Downs. Some year when I have some free time I want to play around with shell command. That info will come in handy.