Light-O-Rama Forums

Are your lights/LOR on now?

Guest guest

Putting them out this weekend. "Dry Run" tuning with the actual lights then. Target for the shows to run is around Thanksgiving. Depends on if we go out of town on whether it is Thur, Fri, Sat, or Sun.

rns

I started putting the lights on my house on October 21st.

October 22st -- Outline of the house, and 3 out of 5 windows

November 5th -- Took advantage of 70-degree Chicago and put up the remainder of the lights.

The lights are up, but I haven't turned them on yet. Probably start the week of November 20th.

Take care!

Paul

Got all my lights up and built frames for my LOR boxes but haven't powered them up yet. Once I do have all the power running though it will be hard for me to not at least check/test them nightly :waycool:

I'm a very firm believer in the "anything before Thanksgiving is way too early" paradigm. I don't even have any of my noticable displays, mega-tree, etc. up yet. It's just too early to be pulling up to a "winter wonderland" every night.

As I put lights up, I drag a few large cords around to test things. Then they stay unconnected until the last minute, when I wire everything up and test it. It preserves the "surprise factor", even for me, and minimizes the temptation to keep turning things on too early. The first time I see the display "dancing" to the lights is usually the first night the public does. Of course, there's usually a few tweaks for the first couple of nights.

-Tim

I have everything up except the small yard ornaments. (Gremlers, deer, sleigh, molds, puffers) It has been fired up several times early in the morning when all the peering eyes were asleep. I will not run a sequence or turn it on for any amount of time until the day after Thanksgiving.

jeff

That's what I have been doing. Waiting until midnight or so and taking my laptop or Dell Axim to the middle of the circle and controlling the entire show wirelessly. That way I can turn in on breifly, take a picture or video, then turn it all off right there and not have to run inside each time.

Luke

I know this sounds early, but I started decorating my roof at the end of September, I built a structure over my driveway and put lights on it in October and now I have approx. 175 blowmolds installed already. This past Sunday I tested my 80 channels and approx. 34,000 lights. I can't stop - I'm completely addicted BUT my lights are not on yet. They will be turned on 'Thanksgiving @ 5:30 pm'.

Bill Jr.

llbarnes wrote:

snip...Dell Axim to the middle of the circle and controlling the entire show wirelessly.

Luke

Luke, Luke, Luke, Please fill me in on how I could use my Dell Axim to control the show. I had no idea there was a way to run the lights from my Axim. Dawn would kiss you if you knew how to stop me from running repeatedly in and out to control the lights!

Any info you coud provide would make you a hero in the Millard house...

jeff

House and garage eves are up and tested (5 channels), We will test as we go, but nothing will come on until the day after Thanksgiving.

Charlie! you know better.......send the wife and little ones to the inlaws for a week, just make sure mama pre-cooks the dinners for you.

Email me if you need a hand.

Started putting lights out but set up is now way slow. I don't know if I'm going to get it completed now due to everything happening. I had a manager quit, a supervisor laid off, and now remembered hunting season is only about a week away. Working double shifts, and only one day off a week is not much. If I dont get my Lor's hooked up, it'll be a static display again this year. So I'm running, running behind, running crazy, and running out of time.:shock:

I started putting lights up last Saturday, and have worked some on it each day until today (rain). I have 25 channels ready to rock and have the next two days off to get some more ready. I do have a sequence that will turn each channel on for 1/10 sec and then off, and I'll go outside for a couple minutes at night with that running, just to verify that the day's work is functioning (and to tease :laughing: the neighbors).

D.T.

I will join the camp of I haven't started yet, but then I still have two coffins in yard, some corpses, a three pneumatic props, and pumpkin lights in the trees. I'll start putting lights up as I take down the rest of the pumpkin lights, and am planning on starting the show Thanksgiving. I'll probably finish my sequences with my wrapping.. midnight Christmas eve :]

This is my first year, not only with LOR, but putting up so many lights. In the past, it has basically been icicle lights on the house and a couple strings in the yard. I started putting lights on the roof the last week of October. I just finished building a mega tree, a REAL learning experience, today. That alone took me three days to get the lights on. Tomorrow, I start running extension cords, which I figure will take me at least another three days since I have to make most of them from bulk wire. My five new circuits will be installed this weekend and I have to finish building the enclosures for my LOR boards. After I built the LOR boards, I tested them but have yet to do anything with them as I have not even tried to set up a show yet. My sequencing is finished, but need to organize them into a show. I do plan to go outside one night next week and give everything the "smoke" test, if I am successful in setting up a show in LOR. This year has been and is the learning curve for me. If all goes well, everything will go live at Thanksgiving, but I need the next week to make sure I am doing everything correctly. Next year, I hope, I can delay set-up, etc. for a couple weeks. But right now, I am beginning to go into "panic" mode for fear I have something messed up. My controllers worked fine with the hardware utility testing, but I have yet to send a sequence to a controller. Anyway, that is where I am right now. Good thing I don't drink anymore!

jeffmill wrote:

llbarnes wrote:
snip...Dell Axim to the middle of the circle and controlling the entire show wirelessly.

Luke

Luke, Luke, Luke, Please fill me in on how I could use my Dell Axim to control the show. I had no idea there was a way to run the lights from my Axim. Dawn would kiss you if you knew how to stop me from running repeatedly in and out to control the lights!

Any info you coud provide would make you a hero in the Millard house...

jeff

Ha, I knew I would get a rise out of somebody with that one. Technically, the Axim is not controlling the show, but by using the Terminal Services client of the Axim, I can remotely control the main computer that does have the LOR installed. I have a wireless network that reaches a few houses down so outside the front of the house is not a problem. The Axim is awfully small, so it makes more sense to use my laptop to Remote desktop to the main computer. Remember that you can only Remote Desktop/terminal service to a computer running Windows XP Pro. Not Home edition.

I don't have them up now, but I did set up my megatree in the back yard last week to test it. I have also set up several different lights in the hallway to test different patterns. I'm getting a new roof this week and want to wait for that before I start putting up the lights.

Mark