Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to Understand Tracks

nmonkman

I am trying to understand the main purpose of and use of individual tracks. Until I understand it better I have created a policy on my custom built sequence website that I will not sequence them, at least not without a "master" track that contains all the channels.

I can see their functionality as an orginizational tool as far as separating different groups of items (i.e. mega tree, arches, etc)

However I find it extremely diffucult to sequence with a channel configuration that is multiple tracks. The primary problem comes with scrolling vertically as I am sequencing. I can be at, let say, 2:14 of a song, but when I scroll vertically, other tracks are at a different section of the song, like 1:30.

There does not seem to be a definite pattern that I can see. I always understood the use of tracks more for animations. You could program a specific event, save it and then insert it anytime you want. I never thought they should be used on musical sequences, at least not consistently.

I have never used them. I have 288 channels this year and simply separate groups with my dead channels that I mark the song out with. It makes scrolling much easier and I never had an issue.

I always try to use any software to its full potential so if there is something that I am not seeing, I would appreciate any feedback or comments.

Thanks,

I tried tracks and really see no need. With the ability to switch timings at anytime during the sequence now it just seems it is not needed.
I am sequencing 5-16 channel controllers and 8 CCR'S without any problems without tracks. Each has their preferrance though.

Can't imagine how hard it would be to sequence without tracks. Last years config had 19. This year will be 25-30 I guess.

It is much easier to hide tracks to see elements next to each other. When one set has 15 and another set has 7 and you want to sweep them both, two tracks with different timings works great.

Guest guest

I just started using Tracks this year, less than a couple weeks now and I wish I'd known more about them last year! Would have made my sequencing go a little smoother and possibly even quicker! I have converted all my 2011 Halloween sequences over to the track format.

My Display is now broken down into 9 tracks. Some tracks only have 2 channels, others have more.

I have tracks set for my Halloween display for 2011 for my Bells(7 channels), another for Wire Frames(4 channels), another for Blowmolds(6 Channels), another for Fence Line/Cemetery sign(10 Channels), and another for my Cemetery Ghosts(6 channels), etc.

This way I can work with those particular elements of my display and NOT get confused or lost trying to find which channel I want to work on by having to scroll up and down, looking at all the channel buttons text to find the item I want, with a track they are all in one place under one category that I can select from the Track drop down menu at the top of the software in the tool bar. This makes it very, very easy to work on and find that display item.

It makes things so much simpler to sequence them in this manner. At least for me.

Tracks are definitely needed and are a big plus once you know how to utilize them!

Basically in a nutshell, tracks are used to break down your display into elements, you can set tracks up as like items in your display, or how your display pieces will be placed in your yard. Either way, it makes it easier to work with the display items!

I, too, can't imagine sequencing my 400+ channels without tracks. Most of the custom sequencing I do is for displays with over 96 channels and unlike Neil, I won't work on a large layout without tracks. The ability to group and align different elements, as already mentioned, is a priceless time and aggravation saver, and not having to scroll up and down all the time is, for me, the difference between enjoying sequencing and it being an exercise in drudgery.

Guest guest

I only had 80 channels last year(2010), didn't know about "tracks" or how to use them and it was a royal pain getting those Christmas and Halloween Sequences done. Always scrolling up and down trying to find the display item I wanted to work on and many times missing it, having to re-scroll again to locate. What a pain that was!

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm on-board with most of the others here, Tracks are definitely the way to go! (And it's not all that difficult to add any new item(s) into a track either!)

The only thing I knew about tracks in 2010 was I could paste the song name I was using in the "track window", never realizing just how much more potential there really was to using it.

I'll bet I could have gotten a lot more songs done if I had been using the tracks method in 2010, and it has been a huge asset for my 2011 display for Halloween. So you can bet all my 2011 Christmas sequences will also be using tracks too.

It looks like this is pretty much "to each is own" method from what I have read. I only have two more questions. Well one new one since the first has yet to be answered.

1. Has anyone else had the issue of tracks not being at the same timeline when you scroll vertically?
  2. I was working with multiple tracks, but there were no timings in any of them except the master track. So I had to change them all to a 0.04 grid. I saved and exported the LCC. However, when I went to do a new song with that LCC file, there will still no timings in the tracks.

If I could find some information on those issues, maybe I can find a way to work with them.

Thanks for everyones input so far.

I too have the issue with the tracks not staying on the same timeline vertically, and it can be a pain. I have not seen a pattern to when the tracks "get out of sync", but I have noticed it happens a lot more often with the CCR tracks. The way you have your channels arranged is kind of home built tracks anyway, seems the advantages you lose are; to have different elements on different timing grids at the same time (I don't see this as a huge disadvantage), and the ability to hide tracks.

Once again, I too have noticed that when you start a new song, the configuration comes in with labeled grids that have no timing marks. I assumed that was done so that you could use the wizards etc and not have to rename the grids. After all, why would you want an element to have a beat wizard grid from Wizard of Winter while sequencing Faeries? It is curious to me why the grid names remain on the list, but the timings do not, but I bet there is a good programing reason.

I use tracks to isolate sections of the display or elements from each other (you do that by inserting a dead track). The ability to hide tracks lets me have elements next to each other for sequencing. Doesn't help with CCRs, but they are a special case anyway.

Bottom line, you have figured out the sequencing method that works best for you.

I'm just wondering; when program for someone else why would it matter if you do or don't have tracks? Can't they be setup or removed when you start sequencing, and then put back or removed when finished? Do customers specify a sequence to have tracks or to not have tracks?

ainsworth wrote:

I'm just wondering; when program for someone else why would it matter if you do or don't have tracks? Can't they be setup or removed when you start sequencing, and then put back or removed when finished? Do customers specify a sequence to have tracks or to not have tracks?

Oh I am sure they could be removed and put back, but when you have 30+ customers waiting and you sequence 7 days a week, there is no time to re-arrange anyones channel line up.

Time is my biggest enemy. If I work at it 8 hours I can complete a 300 channel sequence in a few days, I just dont have that kind of time. I typically work on sequencing 3-4 hours a day, every day. But, I also have my own display to get ready. This year I am adding 48 more mini trees so I have to get all those built.

Tracks not synchronizing time-wise has been a problem since S2 was first released. LOR has been aware of it from the beginning. Dan keeps saying it will be fixed but it never has been.

I've never created a new sequence and had timing marks in place before putting them there. I'm not completely certain, but I'd guess the software doesn't know what kind of timings I want until I tell it. It asks when the musical sequence is created.

I see your point! I find is interesting that people have you sequence and specify tracks or no tracks.

Doing as much sequencing as you do, I understand why you want to find out if your missing a tool that would help you work faster. Unfortunately, I don't think tracks are that tool for you.

I have 128 channels and 2 CCRs, and sequence about 20 hours a week. I can't imagine taking on someone else's display to sequence, let alone 30+ others!

ainsworth wrote:

I can't imagine taking on someone else's display to sequence, let alone 30+ others!

HA HA HA, what can I say, it's a living. Well not really. Some people use money from their donation box to buy new stuff (lights, controllers, etc) and I do not think that is necessarily wrong. That has been a subject of debate before.

My thoughts are it is the same as any other non-profit. If you are putting back into the show that creates the donations to get even more donations and help even more, that is not a bad thing IMHO.

I even heard of people that put out a gratuity box. I dont think that is bad either. I would pay money to see some of the displays on here.:P

We choose not too, so the sequencing pays for new items each year.

I think perhaps if the timing issue gets fixed, I might give it a whirl with tracks someday. For now I ask my customers to simply include a "master track" of all channels.

ainsworth wrote:

I can't imagine taking on someone else's display to sequence, let alone 30+ others!

HA HA HA, what can I say, it's a living. Well not really. Some people use money from their donation box to buy new stuff (lights, controllers, etc) and I do not think that is necessarily wrong. That has been a subject of debate before.

My thoughts are it is the same as any other non-profit. If you are putting back into the show that creates the donations to get even more donations and help even more, that is not a bad thing IMHO.

I even heard of people that put out a gratuity box. I dont think that is bad either. I would pay money to see some of the displays on here.:D

We choose not too, so the sequencing pays for new items each year.

I think perhaps if the timing issue gets fixed, I might give it a whirl with tracks someday. For now I ask my customers to simply include a "master track" of all channels.