Light-O-Rama Forums

where do i start?

dannyv6

still fairly new to this but added 80 channels for next year. thought I had things programed and ready, only running 6 songs w/112 channels so I thought I'd look on youtube at some of the songs I have for next year, now I need another 16 channels during the sale in july? build more displays get more lights and start changing programs again.

dannyv6 wrote:

Well, I bought 4 controllers during the grab sale. I then purchased the software. Where do i start? How do i start?

You have a good number of channels to begin with. 64 channels gives you some descent display item, for example, mega tree, mini trees, arches, and Star Bursts.

If you are not overly concerned about having the house lights dance to music this year and can leave them static for this year then you can use all 64 channels on the front yard.

Now once you have your "yard layout" completed (where your channels are going" then I would spend time sequencing.

I would suggest that you use shared sequences and that way you have at least some kind of guidance, some kind of idea about various effects that can be done via the Lor 2 software.

When it came to learning the software I wanted to learn that on my own and so I played with most of the features to see what they do. Some I do not use at all.

Then you have all your key board short cuts that someone on this forum will give you. I am so old school that I only use the mouse and space bar for the most part.

I rely heavily on the "waveform and that cross hair" too when sequencing a song , next would be the beat wizard, but the wave forum is the main option I use when sequencing a song.

Play with some shared sequences. buy the songs for them, and learn the software and once you fixed up a few shared sequences and it looks good in the visualizer then do a 2.30 minute song on your own.

Have fun and enjoy your new adventure. Once a person looses the joy then the display goes bye-bye. Every year at least 1 display shuts down and some times more and they sell everything.

There are many reasons why a display shuts down, but when you read words like "I am tried of doing this and it takes up to much valuable time" then perhaps they grew to fast, perhaps, perhaps. perhaps.....but the bottom line is that the joy is gone.

and also, if you plan on making some of your own decorations (mini-trees, mega trees, faces for Halloween decorations, etc.), find a source to buy zip ties by the gross!! a zip tension/cutting tool is a good item to have to.

ok, I have been watching videos of displays. Seems like sequencing goes between beats and voice. Use the beat wizard for some and the vu wizard for other parts of the song.
Im putting some songs together first. Then i will figure out my yard layout (already know what I want it to be). Then start messing with the sequence. Im taking bits and pieces of a few songs and putting them together.

Is the July sale that was mentioned earlier an annual thing? I just purchased my first LOR controller, lover playing with it so much that 5 days later I bought a 2nd one. So... 32 channels later I can't get that Thrill sequence (or the song) out of my head. Are there 12-Step meetings for this kind of addiction??? Seriously though, what kind of deals are in the July sale?

Clee2011 wrote:

Is the July sale that was mentioned earlier an annual thing? I just purchased my first LOR controller, lover playing with it so much that 5 days later I bought a 2nd one. So... 32 channels later I can't get that Thrill sequence (or the song) out of my head. Are there 12-Step meetings for this kind of addiction??? Seriously though, what kind of deals are in the July sale?
we already have an addiction thread, just take the time to introduce yourself and beware of the LED laced cookies.

Cable ties at Monoprice (direct page link):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052001

Looks like I'll be buying some more cable ties (also known as Zip ties) at Monoprice soon.

I've been paying far too much even at Wal-Mart for these things! (around $1.44/100pcs) Didn't realize Monoprice sold them too. Could have bought close to 100 packs from Monoprice for what I paid for about 20 bags/100pcs from Wal-Mart!

MONORPICE (4 inch ties): ($0.44¢ for 1) $0.29¢ for 50 bags/5,000pcs from Monoprice would cost: $14.50¢

VS

$1.44¢ for 50bags/5,000pcs at Wal-Mart would cost: $72.00 (NOT including tax!)

OUCH!!!:shock: (if you could even find 50 bags at a single Wal-Mart - usually only 5 to 10 at most).

Never realized just how much I was actually spending (over time thoughout the year) for these things locally. Could have bought tons more for what I spent at Wal-Mart from Monoprice at one time, instead of over time! Won't do that again!

Definitely going to be paying Monoprice a visit for more zip/cable ties for 2011! Just can't beat their prices anywhere that I;ve seen!

Yeah, Orville (Clay). That's why I always recommend Monoprice. A bag of a hundred ties is anywhere from $2.50 to $4.00 (and sometimes WAY more) at retail outlets. When I found Monoprice last year, I bought thousands of them in mutliple sizes, styles and colors.

Cray Augsburg wrote:

Yeah, Orville (Clay). That's why I always recommend Monoprice. A bag of a hundred ties is anywhere from $2.50 to $4.00 (and sometimes WAY more) at retail outlets. When I found Monoprice last year, I bought thousands of them in mutliple sizes, styles and colors.

I purchased ALL my cat5 cables from them last year of assorted sizes. Never realizing they actually sold the Zip/Cable ties as well. *DOH!*

Don't know why I didn't think to search for them there last year!

I'll bet I spent well over $300+ on cable ties last year in 2010 for Halloween and Christmas displays. What I could have saved on them buying them through Monoprice could have possibly bought me another controller!:shock: Lesson learned!

Orville wrote:

Cable ties at Monoprice (direct page link):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052001

Looks like I'll be buying some more cable ties (also known as Zip ties) at Monoprice soon.

I've been paying far too much even at Wal-Mart for these things! (around $1.44/100pcs) Didn't realize Monoprice sold them too. Could have bought close to 100 packs from Monoprice for what I paid for about 20 bags/100pcs from Wal-Mart!

MONORPICE (4 inch ties): ($0.44¢ for 1) $0.29¢ for 50 bags/5,000pcs from Monoprice would cost: $14.50¢

VS

$1.44¢ for 50bags/5,000pcs at Wal-Mart would cost: $72.00 (NOT including tax!)

OUCH!!!:shock: (if you could even find 50 bags at a single Wal-Mart - usually only 5 to 10 at most).

Never realized just how much I was actually spending (over time thoughout the year) for these things locally. Could have bought tons more for what I spent at Wal-Mart from Monoprice at one time, instead of over time! Won't do that again!

Definitely going to be paying Monoprice a visit for more zip/cable ties for 2011! Just can't beat their prices anywhere that I;ve seen!
Am I reading it right? 1 each pack of 8" wire ties (100 count pack) for $1.06?

caniac wrote:

Am I reading it right? 1 each pack of 8" wire ties (100 count pack) for $1.06?

Yes, you ARE reading it correctly! The more packs you buy the cheaper the price!

Current prices (always subject to change) as of May 10, 2011 at Monoprice.com:

1 pack of 100 8" ties = $1.06¢

2 - 9 packs of 8" ties = $0.98¢ /per pack of 100

10 - 19 packs 8" ties = $0.91¢ /per pack of 100

20 - 49 packs 8" ties = $0.84¢ /per pack of 100

50 + packs 8" ties = $0.77¢ /per pack of 100

Best deal for zip/cable ties on the planet!

This was my recent order at Monoprice.
5000 cable ties...
I also bought some of the hook & loop cable ties. Very handy to have.

Hook & Loop Fastening Cable Ties 6inch, 6pcs/Pack - 6 colors 20 $0.36 $7.20
Cable Tie 8 inch 40LBS, 100pcs/Pack - Black 50 $0.77 $38.50

Subtotal : $45.70
Shipping & Handling Cost : $9.89
GRAND TOTAL : $55.59

Donny M. Carter wrote:

This was my recent order at Monoprice.
5000 cable ties...
I also bought some of the hook & loop cable ties. Very handy to have.

Hook & Loop Fastening Cable Ties 6inch, 6pcs/Pack - 6 colors 20 $0.36 $7.20
Cable Tie 8 inch 40LBS, 100pcs/Pack - Black 50 $0.77 $38.50

Subtotal : $45.70
GRAND TOTAL : $55.59

I don't need the tie down cable ties, I have some screw down zip/cable tie holders that have 4 holes in them, let you slip the cable tie through them from 2 different directions. Those are what I had used along the eve of my hose to hold (zip tie) my lights too or I'd use the plastc C type screw down cable clamps that are very small, just fit over the light string wires or bulb socket to hold them in place. Until we moved, they were just left screwed in place for use each year. Was a lot of fun(NOT!) removing over 2 thousand+ of these clips and clamps when we moved.

Donny M. Carter wrote:

They have a great deal for shipping to California using Overnite Express:

Shipping & Handling Cost : $4.86
9.25% CA Sales Tax: $3.04

bought a couple of thousand of different colors (black, green, and red). shipped same day and should be here Monday.

I found out that as well as lights and extesion cords,you also need a lot of zip ties