Light-O-Rama Forums

16D controller fuse issue

Guest guest

Ok, I have 2 16D controllers that I assembled myself.

I have been operating them for the past 2 weeks without an issue.

I Terminated a few more circuits to them today. Turned on the controller, Connected with the hardware utility, Found 2 controllers, good. Tried to turn on a circuit, and nothing(one of the new ones), Now this is wierd. Tried an old circuit I know works, and nothing, Double Wierd. I go to the contoller to see whats up, and find that the green light is not blinking. Measure 5 volts, Nothing. Measure the input to the 5 volt regulator, nothing. hey what the heck I check the 120V input voltage Thats there, well whats the issue, Check the voltage on the 2 jumpers, nothing. ok check from neutral to one side of the fuse, thats there. check the other side of the fuse, not there.

Ok that leads me to the fuse blew, Tried 2 more fuses they both blow, all that occured was terminating 5 more lines in, I am not quite sure what could have caused the problem.

Since this is late coming tonite I have not had a chance to call dan yet. Will do that in the morning. not quite sure what the issue is here, because it happens on power on. Instantly when I plug it in. One Time there was a spark from the plug to the wall socket when I plugged it in.

Anybody have any clue?

Wth the spark to the plug wall that means there is a short somewhere in the system where you have terminated one of the iwres. If your wires are not soldered on the ends where you terminated them I would look into a loose strand or two crossig over and shorting out. Also, it could be that you maybe ran one of your terminations both on the + side. Then you might want to look at the back of the board and see if there is something that is making it short out.

PilotShaneR wrote:

Wth the spark to the plug wall that means there is a short somewhere in the system where you have terminated one of the iwres. If your wires are not soldered on the ends where you terminated them I would look into a loose strand or two crossig over and shorting out. Also, it could be that you maybe ran one of your terminations both on the + side. Then you might want to look at the back of the board and see if there is something that is making it short out.

Thanks for the Ideas, I am gonna check it out tommorrow its been kinda hard troubleshooting using a multimeter and a flashlight. I'll have to buy more fuses to.

Robo.

Ok I checked and one of my extension cords had a short in it, I fixed that and put a new fuse in and it is fine exept for the fact that the one Triac that was on that circuit is now blown.

I checked the voltage input to the Opto it read 0.3 DC I checked the output of the Opto and it read the same as all the other opto outputs. but that channel is still on even on startup.

It seems that the opto is dead.

I am emailing LOR, seeing if they can send me a replacment Triac. and a couple 20 Amp fuses, as I could only find 15 amps in my area.

Robogeek.

Ouch, that hurts. If you need me to change out that triac for you let me know. It will only take me about 10 minutes total, and that will iclude cleaning and re clearing the board.

PilotShaneR wrote:

Ouch, that hurts. If you need me to change out that triac for you let me know. It will only take me about 10 minutes total, and that will iclude cleaning and re clearing the board.

Thanks for the offer, but I built the board myself I can change it out. Plus its installed on the wall of my house so I think I will do an in place Yes I will sit in the mulch and do some soldering.

Robogeek.