Light-O-Rama Forums

Why I don't and won't use the IGNORE option

Guest guest

Personally my opinion of an ignore button may be fine for some, but for me I condsider them a hindrance.

And if you're IGNORING ME, well, you just missed this post! (I know, totally useless statement for those actually ignoring me, but just had to toss that in there!) LOL

Why?

Well, yes, it is true you can still "view" the posts of the person you're ignoring, but that option could be easily missed in a long thread when scrolling through the messages.

For another, the person you may be ignoring may actually come up with something that you could implement and use in your display, sequencing or other criteria that may or may not be display related, but valuable and very useful to you, and by ignoring them, you may have just missed an opportunity!

What if they were putting items up for sale? Or urls that would point you in the direction of items you're looking for? You've put them on your ignore list, so you may have just missed out on a possible deal of the century or an item you were actively seeking.

No matter what the persons writing style, short or long winded (and yes, I *KNOW* I can get long, {very LONG at times...LOL} winded too!), attitudes conveyed (which is sometimes very difficult to discern in a forum setting when in the written word and not spoken or how annoying they can be, you may miss an great opportunity for meeting a new friend later in life off the forums.

Also if I've or you've never met the person in person, I can't really say wether I would really like them or not, and many of us on the forums have never met in person at all, some have, but I'd wager the majority hasn't! So ignoring them could actually even cost a new freind that you may never get to meet in person to really see them as they are.

So this is why I will never use the ignore button on the LOR forums, nor would I install one on any forum I would run, I like to read what everyone has to say, wether or not I agree with it is at my discretion, just as it should be yours as well.

But using the option could actually make you miss something very important to you.

Well just my $1.50¢ worth on the subject.

In closing, if you want to use the ignore button, go for it, me, I'll just act like it doesn't exist.

I agree, though you might not like everything everyone writes at the end of the day it does add to the overall content of this forum.

caniac wrote:

I agree, though you might not like everything everyone writes at the end of the day it does add to the overall content of this forum.

Good Grief, the forum is sure moving very slow at the moment (7:20pm 4/24). Checked other sites, but the LOR forums is the only one that is very slow at the moment.

But to respond to the quote above: "Precisely"!

I have ignored one person on PC before and still do. Not that it really matters. I have not been there in so long. : )

If I miss a "deal of the century" from them it would not be because I was ignoring them. I would not have bought anything from them anyway. Not even a free offer!!

I do not use the ignore lightly. I would like to hear every ones opinion, but sometimes its more productive to cut out the BS and move on. ; )

The person I ignore is mostly full of hot air and just stirs the pot, or starts the fire every chance they get. They may have some useful knowledge, but not worth having to wade thru the mud to get to it.

I have never even thought of ignoring anyone else.

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Wait what did you say!!!! Your post didn't show up.

I have NO Idea, I'm ignoring myself. :shock:

Actually the only person I ignore, well according to her anyway, is my wife!:P

Paul Roberson wrote:

I have ignored one person on PC before and still do. Not that it really matters. I have not been there in so long. : )

If I miss a "deal of the century" from them it would not be because I was ignoring them. I would not have bought anything from them anyway. Not even a free offer!!

I do not use the ignore lightly. I would like to hear every ones opinion, but sometimes its more productive to cut out the BS and move on. ; )

The person I ignore is mostly full of hot air and just stirs the pot, or starts the fire every chance they get. They may have some useful knowledge, but not worth having to wade thru the mud to get to it.

I have never even thought of ignoring anyone else.

I visit there occasionally, not as often as I used to. Ever since they changed the forums around and changed some other stuff, I just don't hang out there much now.

Occasionally I still get an e-mail from a thread I was watching over there or had started some time back. Surprised I still get e-mails from some of those OLD threads over on PC!:shock:

Even if I don't like or agree with what someone posts, occasionally there is a nugget of wisdom out there that makes it worth while. There are some things that are brought up here that don't actually resolve an issue I am having BUT it does start me thinking on the solution or alternatives. So there is value in all of it IMO.

While I have never used an ignore option, there have been one or two cases where I would have been tempted. One was the only guy to ever be banned here. Any others were ones that just never seemed to contribute to anything but my blood pressure.

-klb- wrote:

While I have never used an ignore option, there have been one or two cases where I would have been tempted. One was the only guy to ever be banned here. Any others were ones that just never seemed to contribute to anything but my blood pressure.

That happened to me once(got banned) at a Model Train site a LONG time ago (at least 8-10 years or so now), all because I refuted a post that was untrue that another user kept posting, even the manufacturer of the train stated it wasn't true, but this one idiot just kept pushing it to the point I let him have it with more than both barrels. Which got me kicked off the site because I was just trying to defend myself against a lie, and like stated, even the manufacturer had tried to tell folks I DID NOT do what this idiot kept saying I did. And more people would believe him over the manufacturer or myself, who both kept telling the same thing, *I did not do it!*

This fool kept telling people I had put gasoline in a smoke unit in a model train, something I *would NEVER, EVER DO!*, not in a million years! I might be dumb, but I'm NOT that stupid to put gasoline in a combustible/heated element and blow myself to kingdom come!

Even the Mfr. stated boldly in the forum that the item I sent in for repair DID not reek of gasoline, just basic smoke fluid had dripped around inside the housing, nothing more.

But they did get a locomotive in that DID reek of gasoline and some dang fool DID do that, but it definitely WAS NOT me. I argued the point 'til hell practically froze over with the person that kept insisting I did it, and I'm the one that got banned for stating the truth and defending myself!

Now in that case, I may have very well used an ignore button on that jerk if one had been available, but it would have be an extreme case like that for me to use one.

I'll bet to this day they still believe it was my loco that reeked of gasoline, which none of my trains have never seen anything but smoke fluid in them, when and if I use them, which I usually don't since it affects my wife who has asthma real bad, I have it, but the smoke doesn't really bother me. Ah well, can't convince everyone of the truth, even when its put right in front of them by the company that makes the trains themselves!

Orville wrote:

-klb- wrote:
While I have never used an ignore option, there have been one or two cases where I would have been tempted.  One was the only guy to ever be banned here.  Any others were ones that just never seemed to contribute to anything but my blood pressure.  

That happened to me once(got banned) at a Model Train site a LONG time ago (at least 8-10 years or so now), all because I refuted a post that was untrue that another user kept posting, even the manufacturer of the train stated it wasn't true, but this one idiot just kept pushing it to the point I let him have it with more than both barrels.  Which got me kicked off the site because I was just trying to defend myself against a lie, and like stated, even the manufacturer had tried to tell folks I DID NOT do what this idiot kept saying I did.  And more people would believe him over the manufacturer or myself, who both kept telling the same thing, *I did not do it!* 

This fool kept telling people I had put gasoline in a smoke unit in a model train, something I *would NEVER, EVER DO!*, not in a million years!  I might be dumb, but I'm NOT that stupid to put gasoline in a combustible/heated element and blow myself to kingdom come!

Even the Mfr. stated boldly in the forum that the item I sent in for repair DID not reek of gasoline, just basic smoke fluid had dripped around inside the housing, nothing more.

But they did get a locomotive in that DID reek of gasoline and some dang fool DID do that, but it definitely WAS NOT me.  I argued the point 'til hell practically froze over with the person that kept insisting I did it, and I'm the one that got banned for stating the truth and defending myself!

Now in that case, I may have very well used an ignore button on that jerk if one had been available, but it would have be an extreme case like that for me to use one.

I'll bet to this day they still believe it was my loco that reeked of gasoline, which none of my trains have never seen anything but smoke fluid in them, when and if I use them, which I usually don't since it affects my wife who has asthma real bad, I have it, but the smoke doesn't really bother me.   Ah well, can't convince everyone of the truth, even when its put right in front of them by the company that makes the trains themselves!

So... Why did you put gasoline in a smoke unit?:P

Well, at least if LOR receives a controller for repair that smells of gasoline they'll have a good idea where it came from...

rstately wrote:

Orville wrote:
-klb- wrote:

That happened to me once(got banned) at a Model Train site a LONG time ago (at least 8-10 years or so now), all because I refuted a post that was untrue that another user kept posting, even the manufacturer of the train stated it wasn't true, but this one idiot just kept pushing it to the point I let him have it with more than both barrels. Which got me kicked off the site because I was just trying to defend myself against a lie, and like stated, even the manufacturer had tried to tell folks I DID NOT do what this idiot kept saying I did. And more people would believe him over the manufacturer or myself, who both kept telling the same thing, *I did not do it!*

This fool kept telling people I had put gasoline in a smoke unit in a model train, something I *would NEVER, EVER DO!*, not in a million years! I might be dumb, but I'm NOT that stupid to put gasoline in a combustible/heated element and blow myself to kingdom come!

But they did get a locomotive in that DID reek of gasoline and some dang fool DID do that, but it definitely WAS NOT me. I argued the point 'til hell practically froze over with the person that kept insisting I did it, and I'm the one that got banned for stating the truth and defending myself!

Now in that case, I may have very well used an ignore button on that jerk if one had been available, but it would have be an extreme case like that for me to use one.

I'll bet to this day they still believe it was my loco that reeked of gasoline, which none of my trains have never seen anything but smoke fluid in them, when and if I use them, which I usually don't since it affects my wife who has asthma real bad, I have it, but the smoke doesn't really bother me. Ah well, can't convince everyone of the truth, even when its put right in front of them by the company that makes the trains themselves!

So... Why did you put gasoline in a smoke unit?:P

I really wasn't going to bring this too light again, but here goes...WARNING, IT MAY BE BORING or even LONG! Read this at your own peril!

I didn't, but I do know someone that did try it once just to see what would happen up in Georgia.

Too bad they didn't video it, it blew there smoke unit completely apart. They did it in a smoke unit that was removed from the loco, they didn't want to damage the train, and they don't use smoke units, so they usually either switch them off, if a switch is available or will remove them from the train and usually sell them.

But they just wanted to see what would happen just once by putting gasoline in one after reading all that hoopla in the train forum. I got an e-mail from them about what they attempted and what happened.

After that they even went to bat for me and the trainmaster of the forum ended up BANNING them too!

Seems the guy that operated the site just didn't like me (or anyone that defended my side of it) for some reason, I never met him, never really messaged with him, somehow I think he may have been related to the BOZO that always kept stating I did it.

But I couldn't prove or disprove that, but I did have my suspicions, especially after the second person that tried to defend me after seeing what could happen by doing such a stupid thing, got banned from the site too! Found out later, this idiot even banned the manufacturer from the site as well for coming to my defense!

Now just how idiotic is that? Pretty darn idiotic in my book!

The real funny thing was I still had friends on the forum and they would send me e-mails where they would copy discussions about those of us that got banned and other things about the idiot that gkloated he got us banned because we did "dangerous and stupid" things like putting gasoline in smoke units.

I actually got an e-mail from the manufacturer after they banned their representive on the site. Guess who it was that had put the gasoline in the loco in question?

The very DOOFUS that was gloating he got us banned for doing something stupid and dangerous! I couldn't believe it, HE was the idiot that put gasoline in HIS trains and he sent it in for repairs because it caught on fire and melted the top of the loco and he was saying it was MY loco!

Don't recall that idots name as its been a long time now, nor will I mention the manufacturer here as I promised long ago I wouldn't divulge that information if this ever resurfaced anywhere since they did tell me who it was THAT DID DO IT!

George Simmons wrote:

Well, at least if LOR receives a controller for repair that smells of gasoline they'll have a good idea where it came from...

NOT from me, they won't! I had to get rid of my gasoline container for the Lawn Mower (which I sold) since we're in an apartment, I don't have anywhere to store such stuff! Nor would I want to.

And I sure ain't about to siphon any out of my car neither!

BTW: you know those phenolic containers that LOR uses to put the CTB16PC boards in is made from petroleum products don't you(same as gasoline comes from!). So then, they should all smell like gasoline!:shock: But I know they don't!

-klb- wrote:

. One was the only guy to ever be banned here.

And I think he came back as a different name, if I'm thinking of the same person. Haven't seen many posts from him though.