Light-O-Rama Forums

not getting emails

ainsworth

I am not getting emails telling me I have PMs or activity on my watched posts. I have gone into my preferences to make sure something didn't get unchecked, and it seems I have the correct things selected.

What is the key to getting emails again?

Bruce

ainsworth wrote:

I am not getting emails telling me I have PMs or activity on my watched posts. I have gone into my preferences to make sure something didn't get unchecked, and it seems I have the correct things selected.

Bruce
If your me then it is nothing more than spelling your name correctly. I am a programmer by profession and was wondering why I never got emails went an event occurred at work. was doing some maintenance work on another issue and noticed that i spelled my last name wrong!!!!

ainsworth wrote:

Bruce

Bruce,

It could be the your ISP, the forum software or maybe it's the forums ISP doing this. I am having the same issues you are.

Sometimes I'll get e-mails from the forum immediately when a new post or reply is made to my watched posts/forums and PM's I get. Sometimes I don't see any activity at all and check the froum diretly and find there has been new replies to those topics/forums I am watching. Even when I respond to something or create a new topic I would always get a new e-mail showing what I just entered ibnto that particular topic/thread, lately though, that does not always happen.

I actually had to go in and use a different e-mail address, then change it back to the one I wanted to use for the LOR site to get it to start working again, now that is very strange, the original e-mail was never changed, so it was not mis-spelled! But it seemed to have just quit working for some odd reason, so I changed it to a different one, saved it, went back to a forum message, back in and re-changed it back, then it worked. Very, very weird.

I just wish there was a way to know when a PM was received by the person you sent it too. I have two I've sent to folks on the forums and have no idea if they have ever been read, or gotten the info I sent them to help them out. One was Maine Lights on Sunday 4/17, I figured within a week they would have gotten the ninfo and hopefully acknowledged, the other I just posted quite a while ago today, so don't expect anything back from that one for a few days at least.

Most folks have acknowledged they got the info with a word of thanks or a reply asking other questions, but most are replied to within 1-2 days, never had one go a full week without any type of response.

I thought the old forum had a "read receipt" option for PM's, but I don't recall seeing any such option on the new forum software being used.

So I don't know if it's the forum software, one of our ISP's or the Forum ISP that could be doing this with the e-mail sends. Just know I usually saw e-mails pretty much all the time (or did) until this new switch over, but it could just be a coincidence with some ISP's since the switch, I just don't know.

It is probably your mail server not liking the new forum server.
I'd send a test message to support@lightorama.com and one to chucksm@host10.data1systems.com
If your mail server uses an auto white list you will be set.
If that doesn't work, you're probably going to have to call or email tech support and let them know that they are filtering valid emails.

Here is the server info that they would need to find and correct the issue.

Received: from chucksm by host10.data1systems.com with local (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from

Caniac; ROFL! I checked the profile and it seems to have it correct. I once rebuilt the carb on my Model A Ford because it wasn't running only to find out the gas supply line was plugged.

Orville; I went in and change my email, saved, waited a little while, and changed it back. Now I just have to wait and see if it helps.

Jim Saul; I don't know what a "white list" is, so I can answer that. I have had email exchanges with support@lightorama.com and have had no issue receiving their emails. Is that what you were suggesting I do?

I find it entertaining that in my circle of friends I'm thought of as the computer guru, ROFL, I know so little about this stuff. I spent several hours yesterday trying to figure out why my XP computer couldn't see my Win 7 computer on my home network. Finally found out that homegroups only work with other Win 7 machines, once I switched to workgroup I could see the computer.

Anyway thanks for responding and trying to help. Very nice of you to take the time.

Bruce

Bruce,
Here is another area to look at and try this (if you haven't already):

On the left side of the forums MAIN (Home) Page is a menu box with options

Click on "My Account"
Click on "Preferences"

And make sure the following boxes have a check mark in them:

[] Always notify by e-mail when replies posted to topics you participated in

[] Enable private messaging

[] Notify by e-mail when you receive a private message

[] Allow administrator(s) of this board to send you e-mails

If none of them have a check mark, you won't get any e-mails either.

Sometimes we miss the obvious, not saying you did, but bringing this up just in case, somehow, your checked boxes have become unchecked for some reason or another.

If they don't, you can try unchecking all the boxes - click save - RE-check the boxes - click save again. Don't wait between saves to do this, you can do this back to back.

Sometimes when a changeover occurs, forums get confused and may think a checked box is unchecked, have had it happen before, so try that "uncheck - save - recheck - save", especially if you still aren't getting any e-mails from the forums!

Good Luck!

ainsworth wrote:

Caniac; ROFL! I checked the profile and it seems to have it correct. I once rebuilt the carb on my Model A Ford because it wasn't running only to find out the gas supply line was plugged.

Orville; I went in and change my email, saved, waited a little while, and changed it back. Now I just have to wait and see if it helps.

Jim Saul; I don't know what a "white list" is, so I can answer that. I have had email exchanges with support@lightorama.com and have had no issue receiving their emails. Is that what you were suggesting I do?

I find it entertaining that in my circle of friends I'm thought of as the computer guru, ROFL, I know so little about this stuff. I spent several hours yesterday trying to figure out why my XP computer couldn't see my Win 7 computer on my home network. Finally found out that homegroups only work with other Win 7 machines, once I switched to workgroup I could see the computer.

Anyway thanks for responding and trying to help. Very nice of you to take the time.

Bruce
Bruce,

Another option might be this. I am a Season Ticket Holder for the Carolina Hurricanes and get regular emails both from their ticket reps as well as their message board. A year or so back the emails stopped showing up at times or were intermittent. Come to find out there were issues with TimeWarner/RoadRunner. The easy solution was to setup a Yahoo account and change the email address to the yahoo one. I then setup Outlook to poll the Yahoo mailbox in addition to RoadRunner.

caniac wrote:

Bruce,

Another option might be this. I am a Season Ticket Holder for the Carolina Hurricanes and get regular emails both from their ticket reps as well as their message board. A year or so back the emails stopped showing up at times or were intermittent. Come to find out there were issues with TimeWarner/RoadRunner. The easy solution was to setup a Yahoo account and change the email address to the yahoo one. I then setup Outlook to poll the Yahoo mailbox in addition to RoadRunner.

caniac: How did you get Outlook to poll yahoo mail? I could never get that to work, nor could I get Outlook to download yahoo messages, were you able to do that too?

And are you polling a FREE yahoo account? I know if you PAY for a yahoo account, this can be done, but the free e-mails can't, if they can, I've never figured out how to get around that and would sure like that information on how you did it, providing it's the free yahoo mail service and not their premium (paid) services.

Thanks!

Updating the email address in my profile didn't solve the issue. I just tried the preferences (they were all checked to start with) now I'll have to wait and see if that helps.

If not I will try using my live email account and see if that helps. It's been a long time since I setup my outlook, but if I remember right I just setup the second email account, and set the "check for emails" time and it polls both accounts. Like I said, it's been a long time since I did that, so not sure if I had to do anything else to get it to poll both accounts.

I miss the obvious all the time! I now claim it is oldtimers that causes it hahahaha.

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote:
Bruce,

caniac: How did you get Outlook to poll yahoo mail? I could never get that to work, nor could I get Outlook to download yahoo messages, were you able to do that too?

And are you polling a FREE yahoo account? I know if you PAY for a yahoo account, this can be done, but the free e-mails can't, if they can, I've never figured out how to get around that and would sure like that information on how you did it, providing it's the free yahoo mail service and not their premium (paid) services.

Thanks!

i do have the paid account but also did it with the other. was just a matter of following the stuff online that gave the POP and SMTP server names and all the other stuff. found that after i had paid.

Bruce, email me from your outlook, jim at thecomputerhero.com I'll get you the info on who to email and what to tell them.

Canic - not 100% positive on this but I'm pretty sure that Yahoo stopped free pop and SMTP access. I remember trying to get it for someone and not being able to.

Jim Saul wrote:

Bruce, email me from your outlook, jim at thecomputerhero.com I'll get you the info on who to email and what to tell them.

Caniac - not 100% positive on this but I'm pretty sure that Yahoo stopped free pop and SMTP access. I remember trying to get it for someone and not being able to.

you may be right but had found the instructions for it after i had paid and setup the premium account. never followed up and tested it so not really sure.

Jim Saul wrote:

Canic - not 100% positive on this but I'm pretty sure that Yahoo stopped free pop and SMTP access. I remember trying to get it for someone and not being able to.

Jim, yes, you are 100% correct, Yahoo did stop that many, many years ago. It screwed up a lot of folks when they did it too, because they DID NOT WARN ANYONE they were discontinuing the POP forwarding of their free yahoo e-mail accounts to OUTLOOK EXPRESS or any other outside mailer, they just STOPPED, and folks were getting really p.o.ed they weren't getting their e-mails and had no idea why!

Having to pay to get your e-mails forward is the STUPIDEST IDEA some dimwitted moron ever came up with, it frustrated a lot of folks and many dropped and closed all their yahoo accounts. I just closed my last account there (I had forgotten I still had one!) recently because of this idiotic stupidity.

That's why I asked caniac if he was using the FREE Yahoo services, because I knew they stopped allowing POP forwarding a long while back, I'd wager somewhere around 8-10 years now that they stopped it.

I don't like the fact the idiots at Hotmail started doing the same thing too and not too long ago either, but those accounts are used all the time and I've had them for eons now, so just can't close those down like I did with Yahoo.

Why I think stopping POP forwarding is so dumb, and the idiots that operate these sites seem to miss this point too, when POP forwarding and NOT leaving the mail on their servers, it frees up more drive space ON THEIR SERVERS for other things! Especially if you get e-mails with attachements like MP3's, Graphics, Photo's, etc. that can be quite large and take up a lot of real estate. POP Forwarding GETS THIS STUFF OFF THEIR SERVER and ON ONES OWN SYSTEM!

So eliminating POP forwarding for a FREE access e-mail account WAS and STILL IS the dumbest, stupidest, most moronic thing some doofus ever came up with.

So now all my attached files just stay on-line on their servers and I leave them there! Otherwise they'd be only on my system. Until they bring back POP forwarding to free access e-mail accounts, I will continue to leave my files and attachments in all of my on-line accounts, just to drive this point home to these dingleberries!