Light-O-Rama Forums

light colors

Guest guest

I was just wondering, in anyone's opinion, which is better to use, multi strands or single color strands? I have some single colored strands, clear and multi color. Would it be more effective to take time, and a lot of it, to take the bulbs out of the multi and move them to another multi, thus making single colored strands, or just use the multi colored strands? I can just imagine how much time it will take to move all those bulbs, but if it will look better, I will do it. I'll "ask" my parents for help by bringing the boxes in and going, ok you have red, I'll take blue..... :laughing:

I personally like Multicolour. I have all of my stuff in multicolour. My mini Trees are even MultiColour. I'll take some pics tonight if your interested.

See my profile pic. Except for the white ropelight and White Star, I use multicolour everywhere.

I personally think that a display is much more colorful if you use solid colors on a single item (e.g. one tree) but different solids on each items. I also use multi as another 'color' in my palette.

In my opinion, if you have too many of one color on a larger display, it all washes together. But having different solids makes each item stand out from the others.

-Tim

Personally, I think that having many different solid colors stands out more than having many, many multi strands in your display. You can do a lot with solid color light strands that I think will make a display stand out.

tkhowse wrote:

Personally, I think that having many different solid colors stands out more than having many, many multi strands in your display. You can do a lot with solid color light strands that I think will make a display stand out.

Yeah, exactly what I was trying to say above, but you said it much clearer :]. Cathy and I first noticed this a number of years ago -- when we drove around and saw even small displays in the distance that used multiple solid colors, we'd say "woah look at that display over there" and then instinctively drive closer for a look. It soon became clear that the solids used together provided a much more eye-popping experience than multi's alone, which is what we pretty much used exclusively at the time...

-Tim

I have always preferred solid colors, and in fact I don't think I have any multis at all in the yard, I use them inside on the tree.

I prefer solids as there is a less random look, and you have better defined shapes, for example when you cover a push, or wrap a tree, and single colored items seem to be more eye catching, especially as you increase the number of bulbs of a single color used on a decoration.

FWIW, I prefer the look of solids to multicolors for anything outside. I don't have any multicolor strings in my display. The solids seem to give an item color that stands out. I think of multicolor lights as almost a comoflage versus solids.

D.T.

:ornament: I USE MULTI COLOR ON ALL TREES AND BUSHES AND SOLIDS ON MY BACKGROUND. ON THE MULTI COLORED I USE THE FLASHERS THOUGH.

BUT BE PREPARED FOR THOSE NASTY BLANK SPOTS. I HAVE UP TO 2,000 MULTI'S ON A BOXWOOD HEDGE THAT IS 3'X3'X4'.

DUE TO THE BLANK SPOTS I HAVE 6,000 MULTI FLASHERS ON A TREE THAT IS 12' IN HEIGHT.

AS THEY SAY EACH TO THEIR OWN.

:waycool:

I bought some multi's on sale last year with the idea of pulling them and changing them to solids for mini trees EYC EYC.

After a few blisters and eventing tools to get them out it would have been easier just buying them ;)

But if you do go that route check everytime you switch a light so your not hunting the whole strand wondering which one is giving you the problem.

greenmeanie,

Needle nose pliers work pretty good for removing lamps and avoiding blisters. Target also usally sells a green plastic tool that helpes you remove bulbs, you slide the bulb into a U-shaped cutout in the tool, and the tool lifts the bulb out by the collar.

Personally i am a soild color person with the channels i have three colors on an object and can change them from red/green/blue and all on which is a bright beautiful multi color. For removing the bulbs, i wouldn't do it... you have the chance of messing up a bulb wire and your string not working... you would be better to go to wally world and buy the soild colors. I'd give up the money then spend all that time. The light keeper pro has a bulb remover too.

Jordan