Light-O-Rama Forums

losing lor files

klomneck

Does anyone know why I would be missing four songs and files out of the blue? I am running windows xp, which is the same os and computer as I used last year. I ran a system search to try to find them to no avail. If anyone knows what could have caused this, I would be very greatful for any info. Thanks in advance, Kevin

I searched my docs first, then I performed a system search but I still can't find them. I'm out of ideas.

After you did the search did you go to advance and click every where. Some files will pop up in the every where that did not on a standard search. Are you sure where you saved the files to. Thats why I back up all of my files.

Windows XP IS and I *DO MEAN IS* Notorious for making files disappear. it happens on EVERY SINGLE computer I own with Win XP on it!

Fortunately there is a way to get the files back, but only if you have system restore enabled on all your Hard Drives.

What I do when this happens is go to the accessories, system tools, then click system restore, then look for a restore point WHEN I know for certain the files were still there, then I restore to that point, then make a DATA CD (or DVD) of all the files that had disappeard as well as the ones that did not (just in case they do later), then after I do that, I'll go back and UNDO the system restore so everything is back up to date, then copy ONLY those files that were lost from the CD (or DVD) back to where they were. Then I make a new data CD (or DVD) with ALL files in my LOR directories with the current date.

Yes, it's a bit of work, but it DOES work! I've recovered a lot of files that have turned up missing from my system. And no matter how advanced the search is, those files WERE GONE COMPLETELY from ALL AREAS of my system, nowhere to be found on any of the Hard Drives.

Hope this may help you get your missing files back!

It IS the only solution I've found and now back my files up regularly on an SD card and on other systems, just in case Win XP on any given system opts to EAT my files again! Fortunately it has never happened on mulitple systems with the same files at the same time.

Good Luck and let us know if you are able to recover the files!

k&k wrote:

Thanks Orville, I didn't think of that, but I will give it a try. Kevin

Glad to be of help. I just hope it works for you.

It has always worked for me, but there is *always* that first time.:shock: