Light-O-Rama Forums

Purple Led

Caleb Linburg

I've got 24 70 count Purple at $17.+ a strand from CDI.
Purple is the highest cost for some reason. Mine are all Pro Grade though, You can probally find them cheaper.
All my purple have two rectifiers per strand may have something to do with the price.

During this past Christmas season, I saw purple LEDs (along with quite a few other "unusual" colors) at Big Lots at a good price. Can't speak to their quality, nor does that help you this time of year.

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Does anyone know where to get good purple led strings cheap?

Got mine at Big Lots, they were "Pastel purple", but they looked fantastic and did what I wanted them too. They were also VERY LIMITED in stock and I cleaned out every Big Lots store within a 10 mile radius of me of every pack they had.

These were in the Christmas Light section since the box was touted as Christmas LED lights. 35 LEDs per string, believe the cost was around $3.99 per box. Every store I got mine from only had 6 boxes of them. think I bought about 18 boxes (all I could find within close proximity of me from the 3 Big Lots stores),

Big Lots WILL start putting their Halloween stuff out usually around the first part of August or near the end of July. Their Christmas stuff usually gets put out about 2-3 weeks after the Halloween stuff goes out. But I was still able to get all the purple I needed for my Halloween display before having to put up my display.

The Pastel Purple LEDs really do look great. If I can dig some out of storage I'll try and take a photo of them so you can judge for yourself or go to YouTube and check out my Halloween Display videoes under the user name of csx5861 and see how they looked in action. I used them with Orange M5 LED strings, 35 count and alternated them with the Pastel Purple, which are of the button type LED. Wish I could have found them in M5, but Walgreens didn't sell the M5 Purple like they did in 2009, nor did they sell the M5 Orange either in 2010. Major disappointment to me because those are what I wanted, but they Big Lots Pastel Purple Buttons ended up looking and working out better than I had hoped for.

I picked up purple and orange for my Halloween display recently at 1000bulbs I think for $15 for 24+ quantities.

Guest Don Gillespie

When purple first came out I bought a mess load of them that could cover my large pine tree on the corner got them all from Zellors and Canadian tire

Walmart and Big Lots usually carry both purple and orange for Halloween. I know that is a long way off....

KenL_MCSE wrote:

Action Lighting has Purple in stock in the M5 size. They only have Fuschia in C6 size.

http://www.actionlighting.com/item-detail.asp?ID=2357

I have LOTS of Action Lighting lights - very high quality and excellent customer service!!!

Ouch! $15.62 per string to me is just too expen$ive for a light string. I'm a cheap S.O.B. and look for the cheapest stuff I can find when it comes to L.E.D. or even incandescent light strings for that matter.

When Walgreen's sold the M5 Orange, even though only 35 L.E.D.'s per string, I got them when they put them on clearance time and paid .75¢ per string/box. Looking back on it, now I wish I would have gotten some of the purple M5's, but they only had the Orange left. But even at regualr price, they weren't bad, $5.99 string or 2/$10. Now I wish I would have at least bought some of the purple M5's even at regular price!

But Walgreen's sold them for the last time in 2009, in 2010 they didn't even carry the Orange or Purple M5 L.E.D. strings, that was a major disappointment for me, because Walgreen's was the only place that always sold for several years the M5 type L.E.D. Halloween strings. And the one year I had a few bucks and was going to actually buy them at their regular price, they opt not to carry or sell them any longer.:X

So every year I'll keep looking and hopefully find the Purple M5 types at a local store for around the price Walgreen's sold them at or keep hoping and asking Walgreen's when they'll sell them again.

Even the cheapest on-line pricing for Purple L.E.D. M5's (35 L.E.D.'s) I ever found was still around $11.99 per string.

Purple is one of those phosphured LED's like the white ones. These LED's use red rather than yellow that is used in white LED's. The purple LED's that came out first were a darker or true purple compared with what is available today.

Purple is also a rare color that is used mainly for decorative purposes and has very little practical commercial use. Also some of these strings can be the low end ultraviolet LED's which are not phosphured. This should help

I was told that purple leds are a blue and purple led put together but I am probably wrong.

Also I copied this from action lightings website

Features:
INDOOR ONLY
Commercial Grade, UL Listed LED Mini Lights
110 Volt, 4.8 Watt, 0.04 Amp power draw
Indoor or Outdoor Use
LED's spaced at 4" center. 17 feet long
End-to-end plugs with stacking male plug
LED is made of durable faceted plastic
Connect up to 40 sets end-to-end!
Individually poly bagged. Packed 12 sets/inner box, 2 inner boxes/case
$25.00 Minimum Holiday Order

Why does it say indoor only and then says for indoors and outdoors?

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Does anyone know where to get good purple led strings cheap?

Here's a Christmas video where I used the BigLots Pastel Purple lights in mmy display. They are around the Gargae door and Front door of the house we were living at at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztufb1jWUNg&NR=1&hl=en&fs=1

I also used 50%-75% when sequencing them, some instances I did use 100%, at all levels they looked good!

And here's a Halloween sequence where they were used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMqp5ZdVP9I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL&hl=en&fs=1

They outlined the yard to keep folks out of the display area, alternating with a string of Orange - Pastel Purple - Orange - Pastel Purple and so on all around the perimeter of the display.