Light-O-Rama Forums

Who started light animating with something other than lor?

james campbell

I noticed alot of people doing lor started with something else. I started with a 6 output gemmy,thought it was pretty cool. I know this year my display will be 10 times better with lor

Originally pretty much static with the exception of using those "8 or 16" option motion lights that did chase, fade or flashing on/off effects for years and years, then in 2008 moved to a Mr. Christmas 4 channel WIRELESS system, in very late (After Christmas) 2009, I bought my first CTB16PC controller used, then bought another one from LOR a wee bit later(2010), by the time I was finished I had 5 CTB16PC controllers, FM Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000 Transmitter and an LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director to run the shows. Not to mention all the Blowmolds I also purchased along with a lot more LED light strings! And first true animated musical show was Halloween 2010.

The Mr. Christmas worked (and still works perfectly, just stored now) perfectly for my Halloween and Christmas displays for a couple years, even won us the Christmas contest in 2008 and 2009, then we got ousted in 2010 when we had an even better light show display using LOR, they changed the rules, but that was okay, I WAS NOT really in it for the contest (prize was only a $50 HD gift certificate anyway), but for the satisfaction I was able to actually make it all work and look good!

I started with gemmy 6 channel with sound 2 years ago. Last year I bought an AM transmitter (Please don't shun me, I do not know what I was thinking). This year I got a 16 CTB16PC controller. Then I just had to have another one so I got it at the sale. I still need to find a good FM transmitter for Christmas.

I started about 25+ years ago, using an Atari 800 and some boards I built myself. I had four channels, but LOTS of lights. No music, just blinky flashy to the extreme. LOR is a lot easier and more fun.

About 6 years ago, I was using 2 channel chase controllers to make Santa wave, and Deer run. I bought an 8 channel "smart" chase controller, just before I found out about LOR.

About 14 years ago I entered our local Christmas Lighted Boat Parade. At the time I owned a 24 ft Bayliner. The boat had a place to steer both below decks as well as above. I decked the boat out with lights, a smokestack (made with chicken wire) with three puffs of smoke and a large pipe with lights wrapped around it was wedged into the stern of the boat. At the end of the pipe were three figure eight shapes that were also lit. Then I used a very primitive sequencer that was pulled out of an old commercial sign. The sequencer actually was mechanical. As a center wheel would rotate it would move the various contacts away from and then in contact with the connecting wires to power the lights plugged into that outlet.

By the time the decorated boat was out on the water the puffs of smoke were animated to first show close to the smokestack then farther and farther away. The lit figure eights at the end of the pipe were sent in motion to look like a toy windup key was powering the "Toy Boat". The Toy Boat was an instant crowd favorite and was part of our parade for years.

Last year I stepped down after 12 years as the Parade Chair and spent my time on the house with 32 LOR channels. This year 128 channels and loving it!

Attached files 242932=13225-toy boat.jpg

I had a static display for some time and won back to back contests in our village. I actually had a better number of viewers while doing a static display right from the start line than when I switched to a musical show for the 1st time.

However I wanted to see how people would react to flashing lights to midi music and so I went with a Mr.Christmas in 2007 and I gathered from the comments that 50% liked the music part of the display & 50% wanted just a static display.

So in 2008 I went with 3 Animated Lighting controllers (48 channels) and I still had some static display going on too and I had a nice group of viewers right up until December 21, 2007 when I had a major "malfunction @ the junction" and one of the controllers went crazy and part of my sequences went somewhere in cyber space and I had no show from December 21-Dec.23 & I manage to get something going on December 24th and the folks came back.....but I was not very impressed. So in 2009 like a few other AL users I sold my AL controllers and switch to Light O Rama controllers and I started with 192 channels that year. Sequencing with the Lor software was and is way different than sequencing with AL's AD software. Now a number of folks use LSP to run their AL controllers.

I cannot find better customer service than what the Lor staff gives. Lor is A-1 in customer service. Their controllers are A-1 in my book too, as is the software.

I started in 2006 with AL controllers and their AD software. Got smarter and sold all my AL equipment and went with LOR in 2008.

2010 Mr Christmas Indoor Christmas Light Show (6 plug animated power strip under a bucket)...
For 2011: have 2 LOR (hope for more), a few lights, and a great imagination! :P