Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Idiot Story

cenote

You hear every few months here, people loosing data for hard drive reasons. I did a huge idiotic mistake yesterday...Upgraded my Operating System, THOUGHT I had full back up of everything. Even run a backup program in back ground for the last year. Except one problem, forgot to add my LOR directory where I keep my 2011 files! LOST EVERYTHING LOR related :P Can't blame anybody but myself. Been working on this year sequencing since December. Had a good 5-8 minutes of my 20 minute show worth of songs done. Gone, even my new channel layout is lost :D

Needless to say, my back-up program was the first to be installed now, with ALL DIRECTORY'S checked. Just a stab...I didn't happen to email any of you fine folks my 2011 stuff?

Backed up yesterday morning before installing service pack 1 for windows 7....ARGGG..I hate service packs ..They are suppose to address problems..Not create them.
Now puter is running slow tryin to deal with the new patch!

Hi Chuck,

You may be able to go online, download one of those erased file finder programs, and look for your LOR directory. Even formatting doesn't erase all the files, you may get your stuff back. I've used those recovery programs on flash drives, they work pretty good, look for a free one though because they are available,

Bill

bisquit476 wrote:

Hi Chuck,

You may be able to go online, download one of those erased file finder programs, and look for your LOR directory. Even formatting doesn't erase all the files, you may get your stuff back. I've used those recovery programs on flash drives, they work pretty good, look for a free one though because they are available,

Bill

Thanks, will do. I wonder tho if it is possible in my case, since I did some partition work and full formats.

This is why I have a few Hotmail accounts. My 2010 Sequences, MP3's are all there for Halloween and Christmas. My 48 channel 2011 goodies will also be there. I also keep these files on several different computers too. So now I have them in several places and can get them back if they disappear for any reason on any given system, plus they are backed up on Data CD's and DVD's as well. Just can't have enough backup files anywhere I can find a place to keep them, but in their original form, not compressed like back up programs create.

I won't even use a BU program any more, last few times I did, the files it created it wouldn't read its own files, so all the backup files COULD NOT be restored! I don't trust BU software after that. So everything gets saved in the original form and folders on Data discs AND on-line somewhere.

Orville wrote:

This is why I have a few Hotmail accounts. My 2010 Sequences, MP3's are all there for Halloween and Christmas. My 48 channel 2011 goodies will also be there. I also keep these files on several different computers too. So now I have them in several places and can get them back if they disappear for any reason on any given system, plus they are backed up on Data CD's and DVD's as well. Just can't have enough backup files anywhere I can find a place to keep them, but in their original form, not compressed like back up programs create.

I won't even use a BU program any more, last few times I did, the files it created it wouldn't read its own files, so all the backup files COULD NOT be restored! I don't trust BU software after that. So everything gets saved in the original form and folders on Data discs AND on-line somewhere.
I agree, Orville. I always back up this kind of file at least two or three different places. Take no chances!

Good news/bad news....

I took some excellent advice, and downloaded some recovery programs. They do work. I was able to recover my 2011 config file, which that alone is huge to me. But the one song I have been working on did not recovery 100%. Seems to be corrupt. I emailed it to some wonder techie people :D, hoping for the best.

CKSedg wrote:

I agree, Orville. I always back up this kind of file at least two or three different places. Take no chances!
I am usually the same way, even usually keep a copy on a stick. But must of had one to many rums, and forgot about this file.

I'm glad you could recover what you did. It's the sickest feeling in the world to lose something like this.

Sad story. It's a terrible feeling knowing that hours and hours of hard work were for nothing. I'm just at the point now that I have my 2011 show configured, all the old songs updated, and 1 new song complete. Your story motivated me to go make a backup before something bad happens. I put the backup on a stick and put it in my desk drawer at work (where I don't sequence songs).

I wonder how many of us realize it is NOW a good time to do a back up....

I always have at least 2 partitions on my computers so I can update or replace the OS without losing my data.

Been down this road many of times! As a Draftsman, you learn to save save save, then backup often! So, when I started this new addiction, I save after every screen shot, and at the end of the days work, I put it on my other PC, then when I go to work to work on it during breaks, I save it on that computer too.. So I have all my finished sequences saved on 3 different computers, with the music.. what are the chances of all 3 going down on the same day? :?

I back up mine monthly to a wired drive I have connected to my network. And I do a second copy to a flash drive I keep in a fireproof & waterproof safe. This way if the home goes up, everything including the LOR files are in the safe! I also have photos of my property on it too, so I can show the insurance company what we had encase of a loss! If it was a total loss, my insurance company just pays out the full insured dollar amount. But I would had to do all of the sequencing again!