Light-O-Rama Forums

Color Changing LED Strand

stjohnson90

Hey all,

Im looking for the cheapest way to do something like this!

Its soooooo cool!

Even if doesnt chase, just is able to change color.

Anyone know some different ways to do this?

Also...
What the deal with the LOR sale? When is it?

Thanks in advance!!

Scott J.

The LOR CCR can do this or if you just want the cheaper option of just colour changing then you could use a LOR DC controller a 12vdc power supply and some 3 channel RGB strip light from here http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-329544925/5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB.html

As far as the LOR sale, its come and gone so you will have to wait until later in the year

This strip is just standard 3 channel DC controlled strip, so you can just use an LOR DC controller. It will use 3 channels per strip 1 = Red 2 = green 3 = blue by dimming the channels you get the colour you want. LOR S2 makes this a lot more easier by just choosing the colour you want.

You dont have to run the LOR DC controller or the CCRs in DMX, you can run them through the normal LOR protocol. In fact if your just using LOR controllers then there is no need to use DMX at all, instead use the LOR dongle to run an LOR network

Alternatively, you can wall wash 1 foot sections of your house at a time using Greg's Rainbow Wall Runners.

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/rainbowwallrunner.htm

I have 6 of these on my garage door and they can change color in three different sections. I could break them down even further to 6 sections if I had more channels to devote to them as each section uses three RGB channels.

At about the 40 second mark you can see the garage color changing part start.

To control them you can use the standard LOR DC controller powered by a DC power supply.

ryebred wrote:

Alternatively, you can wall wash 1 foot sections of your house at a time using Greg's Rainbow Wall Runners.

I have 6 of these on my garage door and they can change color in three different sections. I could break them down even further to 6 sections if I had more channels to devote to them as each section uses three RGB channels.

To control them you can use the standard LOR DC controller powered by a DC power supply.

That is correct you can use the rainbow floods or runners as well to create a flowing colour effect, I also used the rainbow floods as well last year and the effect can be seen with the rainbow flowing effect created by using the rainbow floods in this video, which is shown during the 5 golden rings section of this video

http://vimeo.com/18012680

Unfortunatly the video quality isnt the best

• 1 month later...

edvas69 wrote:

The LOR CCR can do this or if you just want the cheaper option of just colour changing then you could use a LOR DC controller a 12vdc power supply and some 3 channel RGB strip light from here.

I just received a strip I ordered from that link. I'm really impressed with the quality. To test it, I hooked it up to a 12v 500mA wall wart I had lying around and the white looked good with RGB all lit. I haven't uncoiled it completely yet, but it seems it really is 5 meters long.

The cost was $42.51 (including shipping) for the strip, and it will take about 1/5 of a CMB16D-QC ($100) for a total of about $65 per individually-controlled 5-meter LED strip. Cheaper than a CCR ($250) but can't be used for (bouncing) arches. But if that's what you need, it may be a good choice. You can cut the strips, so you could make LED mini-trees out of them.

ryebred wrote:

ryebred....EXCELLENT use of the wall runners! They look great in that video.

Would you mind if I put that oun the Seasonal Entertainment website to show off the lights in action?

Ponddude wrote

ryebred....EXCELLENT use of the wall runners! They look great in that video.

Would you mind if I put that oun the Seasonal Entertainment website to show off the lights in action?

Sure go ahead. I have other videos as well, on my video page, which show the wall runners in action. Music Box Dancer uses them a lot as does Winter Wonderland. I also have higher quality download versions on that page as well which are wmv files as opposed to the youtube versions.

http://www.winterholidayhouse.com/videos.html

Steven wrote:

edvas69 wrote:
The LOR CCR can do this or if you just want the cheaper option of just colour changing then you could use a LOR DC controller a 12vdc power supply and some 3 channel RGB strip light from here.

I just received a strip I ordered from that link. I'm really impressed with the quality. To test it, I hooked it up to a 12v 500mA wall wart I had lying around and the white looked good with RGB all lit. I haven't uncoiled it completely yet, but it seems it really is 5 meters long.

The cost was $42.51 (including shipping) for the strip, and it will take about 1/5 of a CMB16D-QC ($100) for a total of about $65 per individually-controlled 5-meter LED strip. Cheaper than a CCR ($250) but can't be used for (bouncing) arches. But if that's what you need, it may be a good choice. You can cut the strips, so you could make LED mini-trees out of them.

Steven or Fast Eddy

I know nothing about low voltage lighting, so could you please explain? Do these strips come with some sort of lead to connect to a CMB16? Am I correct in figuring these strips are about 16 ft. long and the LED's are about 6" on center? Could you power a CMB16 with a single 12 volt power source and run 5 of these ribbons? If so, what would this power source look like? It looks like 32 terminals on a CMB 16- How many leads does it take to control one ribbon? What would be a practical distance and wire size for controller location? ( For instance could you locate the controller 25 ft. from the lights and connect them with a 18 gage wire?). Up to now, I have been a 120 volt guy. I know this is only the beginning of my questions..........but my mind is spinning with ideas for a product like this.

Steve

Steven wrote:

edvas69 wrote:

The strip draws 0.2 amps per colour per metre or 0.6amps per metre when white. So running this strip on a 500ma power supply will overload it as the total current draw for a 5 metre strip is 3 amps when showing white. But you may already know that. :D

steve synek wrote:

Steven wrote:
edvas69 wrote:

Steven or Fast Eddy

I know nothing about low voltage lighting, so could you please explain? Ill Try my best
Do these strips come with some sort of lead to connect to a CMB16? The strips come with short (approx 1 foot) leads which you connect your wires to so you would need to join some wires
Am I correct in figuring these strips are about 16 ft. long and the LED's are about 6" on center? The strip is 5 metres long (16 feet) and the leds are approximatly 1.3 inches apart. The strip can be cut into approximatly 4 inch sections.
Could you power a CMB16 with a single 12 volt power source and run 5 of these ribbons? yes thats the way you would hook it up, and you could connect 5 up to 1 CMB16 DC controller.
It looks like 32 terminals on a CMB 16- How many leads does it take to control one ribbon? There are 16 outputs/channels on a CMB 16 one terminal is the Positive + and the other terminal is the negative - . The strip takes 3 channels, one for red, one for green and the other for blue which are colour coded on the wires coming out of the strip. the last wire is the positive wire, so it takes 4 wires to connect up this strip.
What would be a practical distance and wire size for controller location? ( For instance could you locate the controller 25 ft. from the lights and connect them with a 18 gage wire?). you should be easily able to get 25 feet out of a 18 guage wire.
Up to now, I have been a 120 volt guy. I know this is only the beginning of my questions..........but my mind is spinning with ideas for a product like this.

Steve

I have one question, If you cut a strip up, can you separate it into different channels? or would it no longer be 12V?
Thanks

rstately wrote:

I have one question, If you cut a strip up, can you separate it into different channels? or would it no longer be 12V?
Thanks

For every cut length of strip you do it will take 3 channels unless your cutting them and connecting them with a lead between the 2 cut ends.

Each 4 inch cuttable section is approx 4 inches and can run on 12vdc and uses 3 channels.

So effectively you could cut this strip into 50 4 inch sections and use 150 channels operating them all.

That is awesome! This is going to change my display drastically!
Thanks for all the info, and answers...

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of these rgb led strips
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=rgb+led+strip&_sacat=See-All-Categories#http://cgi.ebay.com/Dream-color-RGB-5050-Flash-LED-Strip-Light-5M-94-change-/250825000072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6655c488&vil=1

Dream color RGB 5050 Flash LED Strip Light 5M+94 change

can I control this somehow with LOR controller? I does 94 different functions w/ a wireless remote...but I would like to control in a show somehow. :cool: