Light-O-Rama Forums

Clipboard feature

ItsMeBobO

The clipboard feature appears to have some quirks I never noticed before this week.

I have been working on a 'flipper' program to reverse the events and channels. Almost ready to release.
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/26195.html

The clipboard is not saved to the disk until SE is closed. I had presumed it was saved when the sequence was saved. Similarly if the clipboard file is changed outside of SE it is not reloaded unless SE is reloaded.
A work around has been to 'remove' the saved clipboard which moves it to the non-saved section. Then rename it and reload the clipboard file with the original name. I was unable to figure out how to remove unwanted clipboards completely without exiting SE.

It would be helpful to have a way to reload from disk and remove clipboards completely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Adding to this old thread a new request since I got a positive response on the first one. :P

The clipboard does not save the timings. There are menu options to copy timings and paste timings. But these do not get saved to the named clipboard files.

I am asking for this to support the Voice sync software I have in Beta release at the moment. The user can paste in several minutes of voice sequence with many 100s of beats. But there is no way to move a mouth movement over a little because the timing marks are not there. I know this is not typical, but it is supported by SE when not using the external clipboard. It only works for the internal, non-saved to disk clipboard. Which means external to SE programs cant do it either.

Any chance you can look at this ?

This (not saving timings along with effects in the clipboard file) was actually a conscious decision. It was done because we thought it might be confusing, once the "multiple clipboards" feature was added, to bind a certain set of copied timings to a certain clipboard. A person could copy timings, switch to a different (potentially saved) clipboard for effects, and wonder why pasting timings no longer did anything (or no longer did what he was expecting).

I'll add this onto our list of things to think about, but for the time being, here's something that may potentially be a workaround (not sure because I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do or how you're hoping to do it):

• Add a blank channel
  • Turn its first cell (in the desired range) on
  • Copy its first two cells (in the desired range) - i.e. an on and an off
  • Paste multiple, back into that same channel, to the end of the sequence, so that the cells will alternate on off on off etc.
  • Copy its entire desired range
  • Save the clipboard

Now the "cell demarcations" section should contain enough information for you to know what the timings are.

Hey Bob...

just noticed all you neat tools are no longer in your signature...

where can we find them?!?!?!?!

jimswinder wrote:

Hey Bob...

I still see them there. Turn on the lights!

MikeH

bob wrote:

for the time being, here's something that may potentially be a workaround

Wait a minute, now that I think about it a little more, that's overly complex. Really the "cell demarcations" section does contain info on the timings - just not the timings that were copied via "copy timings". It is the timings that were present in the area whose effects were copied. The reason that they're there is so that we know how to do "paste by cell".

So, really you shouldn't have to go through that whole "paste multiple" rigmarole that I described - if you just copy the selection you're interested in, the timings in that section should show up in "cell demarcations".

Or maybe I'm not understanding the question correctly?

bob wrote:

This (not saving timings along with effects in the clipboard file) was actually a conscious decision.  It was done because we thought it might be confusing, once the "multiple clipboards" feature was added, to bind a certain set of copied timings to a certain clipboard.  A person could copy timings, switch to a different (potentially saved) clipboard for effects, and wonder why pasting timings no longer did anything (or no longer did what he was expecting).

I'll add this onto our list of things to think about, but for the time being, here's something that may potentially be a workaround (not sure because I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do or how you're hoping to do it):
  • Add a blank channel
  • Turn its first cell (in the desired range) on
  • Copy its first two cells (in the desired range) - i.e. an on and an off
  • Paste multiple, back into that same channel, to the end of the sequence, so that the cells will alternate on off on off etc.
  • Copy its entire desired range
  • Save the clipboard

Now the "cell demarcations" section should contain enough information for you to know what the timings are.

Thanks for your reply Bob. The saved clipboards do have tags for cell demaractions. I do understand what you are talking about with the clipboards and saving timings being confusing. But why would a timings clipboard contain timings and events that are not associated? Leaving the saved clipboard aside for a sec. When you save a section using the timings menu option, there are no events, just the timing marks. These replace the internal clipboard contents. Why would not be the same with saved clipboards. Contains either the timings (demarcations) or the events and any required demarcations to allow pasting by time or cell.

My external app is providing the demarcations. They are just not pastable from the saved clipboard. The only reason I want them is to be able to slide the event a little to correct timing.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Thanks for your reply Bob. The saved clipboards do have tags for cell demaractions. I do understand what you are talking about with the clipboards and saving timings being confusing. But why would a timings clipboard contain timings and events that are not associated? Leaving the saved clipboard aside for a sec. When you save a section using the timings menu option, there are no events, just the timing marks. These replace the internal clipboard contents. Why would not be the same with saved clipboards. Contains either the timings (demarcations) or the events and any required demarcations to allow pasting by time or cell.

My external app is providing the demarcations. They are just not pastable from the saved clipboard. The only reason I want them is to be able to slide the event a little to correct timing.

I think I don't understand the question. But doing a "copy timings" does not replace the clipboard contents; it's separate.

That is, you could copy a bunch of effects, and then copy a bunch of timings, and you'd still be able to paste those effects using the same timings that they had, not using the copied timings.

MikeH wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Hey Bob...

MikeH

They weren't there when I posted!!!

Or am I really going crazy???

Guest wbottomley

jimswinder wrote:

MikeH wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
Hey Bob...

MikeH

They weren't there when I posted!!!

Or am I really going crazy???

You answered your question.:P

bob wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:

I think I don't understand the question. But doing a "copy timings" does not replace the clipboard contents; it's separate.

That is, you could copy a bunch of effects, and then copy a bunch of timings, and you'd still be able to paste those effects using the same timings that they had, not using the copied timings.

Ah ok I think I got it. Had to go to SE and I see that I can copy effects, then copy timings, then paste effects, then paste timings. The two are kept in different places or this would not work. It never crossed my mind to interlace them. I had presumed that it was a combined single storage for both. So the terminology clipboard for SE is specific to the effects. This effects clipboard does have timings internally but only used for pasting effects by time without inserting the timing marks.

It would still be nice to be able to paste timing marks and the effect when pasting by time. I have always found that I need to do both a paste timings, and then a paste effects in order to move things around and make them adjustable in their new location. Sometimes I can just switch the new track to the source tracks timings. But this doesnt work if the target is at a different time in the sequence.

The chase tool has the same thing. It very nicely spaces the effects without marks. But then I have to fuss to put anything else at an overlapping time due to the absence of timing marks. My wishlist contains an option to paste the marks into the timing grid when pasting by time. New check box to paste by time/cell/time with marks or something. Thanks for listening Bob. Sorry I am going to miss meeting you at the Expo.