Light-O-Rama Forums

4G phones

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

As you know I am going to Scotland in May and where we are staying they recomend a 4G phone however I don't know anything about them any of you smart tech guys out there care to help me out

What is 4G

what is the best phone ie: Apple or android?

can you help me

If you go Android, you can install the Cyanogen ROM and then you can use the phone on any carrier that uses that type (GSM or CDMA) of phone. You also get all the features you carrier charges extra for.

I have the HTC Evo and I can use it as a wireless access point for several devices without paying the extra that Sprint charges.

Been to Scotland, VERY beautiful country! I have AT&T, with a Blackberry, and had no issues minus the huge phone bill when I got back. And all at&t's stuff is 3g at the moment. BTW where abouts in Scotland are you staying?

Set aside 4G...you don't need it for what you likely want to do (and realize, i work for one of the 4G providers (the first..), and am telling you that. A 3G phone will do fine for you.

Not sure what carrier you have in Canada, but speak to them first about what your costs may be to roam in europe and options there, depending on your current phone. Be prepared for some stout roaming fees.

Next option would be to rent a phone while over there. I do it in the islands all the time, cheaper than carrying my US phone and paying international roaming fees.

Guest Don Gillespie

Thanks guys, still weighing all my options, my work phone is in dire need of an update so I am looking at the I-phone for versatility with the great camera and ease of operation, I do like the idea of renting a phone, would seem to be a no brainer not looking forward to the phone bill when I get home, we will staying in Edinburgh at the Pilrig house you can go online and look at it it was built in the 1600's should be pretty interesting history wise. thanks agian for your input.

Don Gillespie wrote:

we will staying in Edinburgh at the Pilrig house you can go online and look at it it was built in the 1600's
That is a very pretty place! If you have time, travel to the highlands, it is great out there! Maybe pay a visit to Loch ness! And of course, you will have to walk the royal mile at least 6 or 7 times.. Around 12ish on Saturdays the Bagpipe march happens (cant remember the real name). That is a sight to see!

Don Gillespie wrote:

I do like the idea of renting a phone, would seem to be a no brainer not looking forward to the phone bill when I get home

you're on vacation...leave the phone at home!!! :)

When I travel to Europe, I take a GSM phone and just buy a SIM card for the area I will be in. It's cheaper and easy. Also, most incoming calls are free and don't use the minutes.

garyfunk wrote:

When I travel to Europe, I take a GSM phone and just buy a SIM card for the area I will be in. It's cheaper and easy. Also, most incoming calls are free and don't use the minutes.

I second this! I lived in Germany for 3.5 years and get deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan every other year. It's much cheaper to buy a SIM card (usually around $15~20) and throw some credit on the phone. Then you can call out if you need and use the credits or receive calls at no expence to you (with most carriers).

I'm not sure of the charges for roaming fees, but I know with AT&T it's 50 cents per text sent and 25 cents for each received. Most phone providers also offer international service rates, but I still think it's much cheaper to just get a SIM card.

Note: A SIM card will give you a local phone number wherever your at which helps to call a taxi to get home from the bar. :cool:

Guest Don Gillespie

I looked into in the GSM phone I can't use it in Canada or the US so for a one time trip I am not sure it is worth it the rates all seem to be the same anywhere from 2 - 5 bucks a minute for roaming charges I am still stumped.

Don Gillespie wrote:

I looked into in the GSM phone I can't use it in Canada or the US so for a one time trip I am not sure it is worth it the rates all seem to be the same anywhere from 2 - 5 bucks a minute for roaming charges I am still stumped.

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) blackberrys support GSM.... I'm pretty sure a ton of other phones support it too.

Guest Don Gillespie

Nurples wrote:

What modle phone do you have now? Does it have a SIM card?

I have a motorola according to my cell provider my phone won't work in Scotland, so basically I will be phone shopping my phone is 2 years old time for a new one anyways.

For your GSM phone to work in the British Isles, you will need to check the frequencies it can use. America uses the 850MHz and 1900MHz frequency bands, whereas the British Isles and Europe use the 900MHz and 1800MHz frequency bands. In the British Isles, most operators are currently using 900MHz.

Regards,

Alan.