Light-O-Rama Forums

Power for 2 16 channel controllers

Guest guest

Am I understanding correctly that each controller is 2- 8 channel units in one that requires 1 20 amp circuit for each 8 channells. This would result in 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits for each controller. Or is it possible to use 2 20 amp circuits for both controllers? I want to make sure I have this right as I will be adding these circuits this weekend to the location of the controllers and only want to do this once. Thanks for everoyone's help!

WOOLFMAN

Depends on how you set them up. I'm assuming you have the 40 amp deluxe 16 channel controller. Anyhow, depending on how many lights you use (amps) will depend on how you set up the controller. If you stay under, say, 10 amps for the entire controller, you can use one power input (one 20 amp circuit) and jumper Circuit 1 and Circuit 2 together. Then, only the fuse on the Circuit 2 side will be active. But, if you plan on using the controllers to it's fullest capabilities, then yes, you will need a 20 amp circuit for each side of the controllers which means you will need (4) 20 amp circuits.

Was that as clear as mud?????????

Don't worry, I'm sure 400 people will correct me if I'm wrong!!!! :laughing:

Right, and keep in mind too that you don't just plug them into 2 seperate sides of the same outlet and call that 2 different 20 A supplies. Both sides of the outlet are connected to each other, so they collectively draw 15 or 20 A.

Of course, I'm trying to drive all LEDs so my power buedget will be much lower.

woolfman wrote:

Am I understanding correctly that each controller is 2- 8 channel units in one that requires 1 20 amp circuit for each 8 channells. WOOLFMAN

Not exactly. The controller doesn't really require any aperage, it's the lights that you plug into them that need the amps. So if you are loading them up, then the MOST you could get would be 20 amps per side of each controller. On the flip side if you were running mini trees or something very small on them you could plug all 4 sides into 1 20 amp circuit.

You should calculate your power needs carefully. There are lots of rules to follow. Assuming you have the 16D with heatsink, you can put up to 8 amps per channel, but not to overload either side by 15 or 20 amps (depending on the fuse and power feed).

Again, clear as mud? Backtracking a bit... start by calculating your power needs by what you want to control. Once you have those, put together a spreadsheet, with each of those loads to make sure you don't overload any channels or boards... (There are a couple spreadsheets that others have created that may work for you as well...)

J.

Oh, I almost forgot my standard disclaimer...

Electricity is dangerous. I am not an electrician, nor are a majority of the replyers. If you are unsure, make sure you contact a professional. People often reply quickly on this forum. Don't rush off and do anything unless you are sure of the source of information and you trust it. Even then, don't do it unless you are comfortable and safe. Trial and error is not very smart where electricity is concerned.

J.

woolfman wrote:

Am I understanding correctly that each controller is 2- 8 channel units in one that requires 1 20 amp circuit for each 8 channells. This would result in 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits for each controller. Or is it possible to use 2 20 amp circuits for both controllers? I want to make sure I have this right as I will be adding these circuits this weekend to the location of the controllers and only want to do this once. Thanks for everoyone's help!

WOOLFMAN

Hello Woolfman

The way I understand it is.

One controller requires a total of 15-20 amps depending on model. I have a 1602MP3 controller. It has two 15 amp fuses built-in. This means that most people will connect it to a 15 amp circuit breaker. Most household circuits.

So in order to cover everyone’s A@@! That is all of the amps that should be drawn from that circuit per side.

If you wire a new dedicated circuit from the panel to a new plug with 12 gauge wire it will be rated at 20 amps. Don't buy those cheap 29c plugs, a 20amp plug costs around 2.50 per. This will give you a 20 amp plug of course you will need two. This will give you 40 amps total.

"This would result in 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits for each controller".

If you have two controllers, yes. Or watch your total amperage per channel. I find it easier to know that I will never exceed capacity , than to have watch my amps!

I have four new circuits installed. All 20amps per plug. I did break off the the little tab on the plug. It helped :]

OK, this is where I'm going off base. I have changed the fuse's to 20 amp 250volt on mine, if it smokes it will be good. :laughing:

I have no lights up yet outside. But I have mounted lights on my garage ceiling as a test. LOR1 is in place, waiting for UPS on LOR2.

OK, I hope this helps, if not PM me, I can call you. Or you can call me.

Tim

Woolfman, I think everyone pretty much covered the bases of both ways you can run a controller. Either with 2 seperate 20 / 15 amp circuits, or a single 20 / 15 amp circuit.

Now like a couple of people said the best thing to do is figure out how many amps you plan to use on each channel and then go from there. For instance I have 1 controller that if all the lights were on would draw over 70 possible amps. However. we know that is not possible so with some very good planning I will only use about 30 amps at one time. It all depends on what you plan to have on at one time. If you plan to have everything on at the same time then you must think big however you are not restricted to that. Then I actually have 2 other controllers that each be using less then 8 amps per controller, so these 2 controllers will share a dedicated 20 amp breaker since they both together are only 16 amps. I hope this didn't confuse you anymore, but you can see there are actually several factors involved.

I'm only running about 30 amps for two 16 channel controllers, so I could run them both off two dedicated 20 amp GFI's... But, I won't... Only because I've already purchased the GFI's and may need more for next year...