Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR with a generator

Joe Rayburn

Would like to operate lor controllers on a parade float. I already have a generator but it is not an inverter type. I am wondering if there is something that will clean up the power from a non inverter generator that might be cheaper than a honda inverter generator? Thanks for any info.

have your generator tuned up make sure it is as close to 60 hz as possible
i use 3 to 5 older generators for Christmas parades and this seems to work for me the worst problem i have had is the lights on a generator not adjusted right is some of the channels will glow when they should be off. The people watching don"t know they should be off

What about using a battery back-up surge protector in-line between the generator and the controllers? I think they're supposed to provide a steady current for computers and when the current fluctuates the battery kicks in.

That might work for me ,I read an article somewhere where someone had tried that and it seems that one company that makes the UPC I beleive it was APC said that some models they had might work. They apparently have some models that you can change the voltage that it cuts in and out on.One person said that he had tried this and the UPC kept switiching back and forth due to variable voltage from the generator. Thanks for the idea.

Joe Rayburn wrote:

That might work for me ,I read an article somewhere where someone had tried that and it seems that one company that makes the UPC I beleive it was APC said that some models they had might work.  They apparently have some models that you can change the voltage that it cuts in and out on.One person said that he had tried this and the UPC kept switiching back and forth due to variable voltage from the generator. Thanks for the idea.

You're welcome:D

A dual conversion online UPS would probably clean up the power considerably, but most small UPS systems are not dual conversion. Rather they are standby systems, that normally just sit keeping the battery charged, and passing line power though, though often with a noise filter in line. When they sense power going out of spec, the completely isolate from line power, and fire up the inverter off of battery. So if it engages often, it will drain the battery.

What is different with the dual conversion, is that there is either zero AC path from the inlet to the outlet, or some of the even more advanced ones have a way to remove themselves, and connect inlet to outlet, if the device fails. So in normal operation, the first step of a dual conversion is a high current AC to DC converter, which puts out a voltage equal to the battery stack charged voltage, and is tied to the batteries. Then the inverter is hooked up to the batteries and AC to DC converter, and is constantly powering the load, from the DC power. So there is no interruption, or even noticeable change when inlet power is lost.

But good luck finding a small one at an affordable price.

I guess I must be overlooking something which is entirely possible. A generator, even putting out noisy AC power, will be close enough to sinusoidal that shouldn't be a problem for a triac which is the means of controlling AC used in LOR's AC controllers. A properly maintained gasoline generator will have a frequency very close to 60 HZ (except for the Aussies). Lower cost generators typically generate noise due to the brushes and the like. More expensive generators like Hondas generally have very clean power. If you are powering LED strings then noise could be more of a problem which can be solved with a small load on each string. If you are using incandescents, then certain types of noise should be less on a issue.

Regardless, a transformer is a fairly good method of dealing with certain types of noise. Minor power fluctuations can become less problematic with a specific transformers known as a buck boost or ferroresonant.

Al

I think that one of the things that happens on small generators is that the reactance and inductance may not be matched. So voltage zero crossing may not be in sync with current zero crossing.