Light-O-Rama Forums

Problems with testing a new board

morte615

Hey all, I just built my first board (CTB16PC)and am trying to test the board out. First of all I don't have the USB to Serial adapter (or for that matter haven't paid for the software yet, waiting on tax check first) so can't connect it to the computer to test. I first powered on the board and the LED started to blink, then stopped. Now whenever I power up the board the LED does not light at all. I did the trouble shooting in the guide and everything works like it should.

What I am wondering is there a way to check the board more in depth without connecting it to a computer? I just want to know if the board is working so that I can go ahead and install it in the box!

Thanks everyone!

If the LED is not blinking I would not put it in a box. It will be difficult to test it further.

Try removing the 8 pin comm chip from it's socket to see if the LED will start blinking. If that is the case then during testing you may have shorted out a couple pins and damaged the chip. No big deal if that is what happened we will just send you a new one.

Dan

Took out the 8 PIN chip and still nothing on the LED. If I take the chips out and short the lower left pin to the 2nd down on the right (on the 18 Pin header) then the LED lights

Also I do get +5 volts between the gnd and the 4th pin down on the left.

With all the chips in do you get the +5 volts on the meter? In general if we have 5 volts the processor will blink the LED. It did so for a while so we know the processor was good, etc...

Dan

Yes I get 5 Volts on the 18 pin header with all the chips in, but the LED does not light. But if I short the gnd and the 2nd down pin the LED lights so the LED itself is fine.

Try a reset on the card to see if that helps. You should have a jumper on the second row of the 18 pin header. Power off the card, remove the jumper then power on the card again. The LED should flash fast. Regardless of if the LED flashes unplug it after a couple of seconds. If it is going to blink it will blink within a second and as soon as it starts blinking the card has been reset.

Dan

If Dan's remedy doesn't work, you may try what worked for me on the blue board. Unplug the controller, remove the PIC chip, power on the board for a couple of seconds, remove power, reinstall the PIC, and power the board back up. I've had to do that to my build boards the last 2 years, works like a charm for me. Hope this helps,

Bill

Maybe post some clear hi-res pictures for us to look at, after looking for so long, sometimes the eyes go buggy.

I think this will be a tough one to find remotely. You said that the LED did blink for a while and then quit. Leave the card plugged in for 5-10 minutes then unplug it and feel around for anything that is hot on the card. I think this may be a case where it willl need to be sent in for repair.

Dan

@Mountainwxman
The LED works, I can get it to light up by shorting pins on the 18 pin header.

@bisquit476
Here are a bunch of photo's of the board, not really hi-rez (all I have is my camera phone) but pretty good anyway.
https://picasaweb.google.com/morte615/LightORamaKit?feat=directlink

@LightORamaDan
OK I will try that today, but how do I go about sending the card in to get looked at?

Just had it plugged in for about an hour (I know, I know 10 min or so. But I forgot it was plugged in lol) and the only thing that was warm (and not by much, just slightly over room temp) was Q16 (See attached pic).

Yes when i first finished the card, I plugged it in and the LED flashed a few times then stopped. Then when I unplugged it and plugged it back in the LED has not turned back on at all.

Attached files 241104=13098-warm piece.jpg

Just throwing this out there..The IC chip to the left of the Cat5 connector looks to have pin 1 on the left side...Most boards i repair..pin one is on the right. Could just be the picture..Plus have never built this board but have built many like it.

If i'm wrong kindly disreguard !!!!!!!:shock:

Yep went to the troubleshooting guide first, everything it tells me to do so far has been ok, except no LED
And Q16 isn't really HOT, just slightly warmer than the rest, no where near where it would be if the board was running.

morte615 wrote:

Just had it plugged in for about an hour (I know, I know 10 min or so. But I forgot it was plugged in lol) and the only thing that was warm (and not by much, just slightly over room temp) was Q16 (See attached pic).

Yes when i first finished the card, I plugged it in and the LED flashed a few times then stopped. Then when I unplugged it and plugged it back in the LED has not turned back on at all.

Just downloaded your photo so I could take a closer look, and it seems everyone has missed the obvious here, it appears you have the JUMPER on the very top pins (first set of pins), it should be on the second set down from the top for normal controller operation. Move the jumper down one set of pins and I'll bet your controller will start working just fine.

If it is on the second set of jumpers, then my apologies, but from what I can make of it and blowing the photo up, it does appear the jumper is not in the correct location!