Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR vs. Animated Lighting

Guest guest

Texian wrote:

I'm just getting into the "new age " of decorating. I want to do the synchronized music. Why should I go with LOR instead of Animated Lighting?

Thanks !

This is not an easy answer. It's a decision that you should make after doing research. Honestly, asking a question open ended such as this leads to potential flame wars. (I suspect that wasn't your intent.)

Both products can achieve virtually the same effects, with each probably doing something better than the other.

One is cheaper, while the other is usually considered the higher priced 'commercial' option.

If you have specific questions about these products I would encourage you to ask, or search the archives.

In the end, it boils down to how much money you are willing to spend on the product you feel best meets your needs.

Don,

Well, actually I did do some research. I went to both of their sites and they both "seemed" very good and very similiar. That's why I asked the question. I wanted feedback from actual people. You stated that " each probably doing something better than the other". This is precisely what I wanted to know, what each does better. As I said before, I've never done any type of synchronization or computer, or X-10, so I don't know any specific questions to ask. Thanks for the response.

Dan from Lightorama moderates this section of the forum, and so he answers people's questions. Their service is pretty good, I had a bad SD card on my MP3 controller, so they sent me a new one right away.

My understanding is that Lightorama is a bit less expensive than AL.

This is my first year but I know what you are going through. I had to weed through the same info last December when I saw John Carson's video and I was bit by the bug! I finally decided that LOR was the way to go for me. It seems that Animated is kinda plug and play which is great for a lot of people that do not have a zillion hours to put into programming. I however, had a vision of what I wanted in my yard, and I wanted to rearrange a couple of songs and do some splicing and dicing to make my show cool so I felt the LOR with the LOR software was the way to go. I can program my lights to do anything I want to any song. Too cool!!! Anyhow, I also got a lot of help from Dan the Man at LOR who answered every e-mail and every stupid question I asked him.

Anyhow, bottom line, it's money and time management. If you need something running by this Christmas, LOR may not be the way to go. I've been working on my LOR programming since last December and just finished (10 songs) last week. It was taking me about a month per song to program, but I also have over 200 channels. Now I'm just trying to finish up my displays and I'll start putting it out in the yard maybe next week.

Well, that's all I got. Good luck!!!!!!!!

ocandtrav wrote:

This is my first year but I know what you are going through. I had to weed through the same info last December when I saw John Carson's video and I was bit by the bug!

John Carson? :-) I think you mean Carson Williams. I'm not sure but I don't remember the Tonight Show ever playing Wizards In Winter...

Just playing of course...

J.

Response to Clyde:

I can see where this can take a lot of time and money, so I wanted to get started in the right direction. No, I'm not expecting to get something great up this year, but I should have time to do something anyway. You know work on some things, mess up a bunch, get frustrated, but in the end "see" all the little smiley faces in my mind's eye to keep me working on this.

I'm in Spring, so I'll definitely drive up to see your show. I've only seen videos not a live synchronized show.

Hey, I just noticed you're from Spring. I guess the Texian name should have got my attention!!! I know there is another guy from Spring that is supposed to be going computerized this year. I can't remember his name or site (I've seen so many trying to get my stuff together). Anyhow, check out my website and yep, be sure to visit live in person! Don't be shy, if you see me outside say Hi! or ring the doorbell and let me know who you are and we can definitely talk lights!!!

Be sure to check out the NERD my next door neighbor and I installed for a dedicated 200 amp service for Christmas lights!!!!!! That's INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Light-O-Rama is a verry good company Here are my Good and bads

Good

The system works very good
It is easy to sequence
It is easy for newbies
You can add lots of channels
Very good price

Bad

Show set-up and scheduler is time consumming and a little confusing
If the sequencer locks up you better have saved it, their is no auto save
It could better if the sequencer took less recorces when playing

Trying to be fair....