Light-O-Rama Forums

How Long Have You Been Decorating?

evan.a

bobschm wrote:

Built the house in 76. Static decorated every year. I worked my way up to being the best (as in lots of lights but not garish) house in the neighborhood. Little tykes on Halloween remarked, "Hey, this is Santa's house!" This year several new neighbors put up really nice displays. We blended in.:(

Get this! The wife was disappointed and said next year she wanted something spectacular. HERE WE GO!:cool:

Building two boards for 32 channels. Already sequenced four songs on my way to a 10 song, half hour show.

Boston Bob
does she have a sister, gotta love a woman that understands Christmas, lights, and LOR.

Hello everybody,

I started outdoor in 2005 when I moved to my actual house and last year was my 1st LOR trial.
I've seen on youtube that that there were a few others LOR users in France ; sure there will be more next year...

I hope it will be possible to buy LOR stuff in my country because shipping from USA is quite expensive.

Have a nice day

My second addiction is Spring and Summer flowers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wbottomley

I started in the late 80's/early 90's as static. Then, in 2004, I started animating with Animated Lighting. In 2005, I switched to LOR and been with them since.

Here are some pictures of my early display. 30-40K lights were used. The fence was a 1/2 mile long and that was the power hog.

1993Picture3.jpg

1993Picture2.jpg

1993Picture1.jpg

NewspaperArticle1.jpg

1995Christmas.jpg

Ron Amedee wrote:

2009- Hung 7 ft of icicle. To shut up the wife (She goes crazy with the tree)

2010- Hung 37 ft of icicle and 200 ft blue incandecents. (Wife was pleased)

2011-Will have at least 2-CCR's, 80 channels LOR and 20,000 LED's (She should have known I get alittle carried away with everything I do!)

Now that's jumping into it... :P

I was married in 1990 and started with a blow mold Santa and 1 set of lights. I've been adding ever since. This is the first year since 1990 that I have not added any new blow molds.
2010 was my first year with LOR @ 32 channels. I've doubled that already for next year and I'm sure there is at least one more with my name when the summer sale comes around.

I started helping my family decorate since the 60's with basic simple stuff. In the 70's we had the energy crunch and our home went dark for a couple of years. In the 80's I got married 1987. In 1989 we moved into our first home and some of the neighbors were doing some really fun stuff having a Candy Cane Lane.

I wanted to be a part of it and it just started growing from there in 1989. Four years ago I saw a video of Richard Holdman's home and I decided that I had to figure out how he did that and it started me down a whole new path of decorating and here I am addicted to animation with LOR! :):D

I started as a kid in the '60's. C9 bulbs were the only option back then. I've had a static display almost every year since, although not very impressive through the seventies and eighties - too much moving. I started getting serious (as in over-the-top) in '92 and grew that collection to well over 100K bulbs. My first year synchronizing was 2008 with 144 channels. Moved up to over 300 ch in '09, and in 2010 passed 400 ch plus added my first CCRs.

Mountainwxman wrote:

I started in the late 80's/early 90's as static. Then, in 2004, I started animating with Animated Lighting. In 2005, I switched to LOR and been with them since.

William - that is so cool that you have the newspaper articles from the very beginning. Thanks for sharing. I love it!

George Simmons wrote:

I started as a kid in the '60's. C9 bulbs were the only option back then. I've had a static display almost every year since, although not very impressive through the seventies and eighties - too much moving. I started getting serious (as in over-the-top) in '92 and grew that collection to well over 100K bulbs. My first year synchronizing was 2008 with 144 channels. Moved up to over 300 ch in '09, and in 2010 passed 400 ch plus added my first CCRs.

George, you are over the top. I started with 32 channels last year. I could never imagine a first year LOR with 144 channels. Quite amazing!

Guest wbottomley

Mark Showalter wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:

William - that is so cool that you have the newspaper articles from the very beginning. Thanks for sharing. I love it!

I'm writing a history of High Country Lights article for my website. Going to the parents house to find more pictures.

Thanks for the compliment.

Too long or not long enough....I forget. LOL

Seriously, I'd have to say since I was 6 or 7 years old and would help untangle and usually break a few of those old C9 lights, then C7's and finally went to the mini types and usually always had some kind of blowmolds, Santa, Candles, Reindeer, Sleigh and Snowmen or my dad would make wood cutouts and cut holes in them for lights. Sure wish my dad was still around, the one thing I didn't inherit from him was his fantastic carpentry skills to build things out of wood, I'm damn lucky if I can even cut a straight line!:shock: Just know there are some things I'd be having him construct for me because it was something he enjoyed doing. Folks would supply the materials needed and he'd do the work for very little or no money. Sure could use his talents now. Ah well, those good ol' memories and days, ne'er to be forgotten!

I'll hit the big double nickels in November and I will continue to decorate until I just can't do it any longer.

Mark Showalter wrote:

... I started with 32 channels last year. I could never imagine a first year LOR with 144 channels...

Sharon and I started by comparing people's videos between 32 and 48 ch. Soon we were up to 64 vs 80, then it was 96 vs 128. We settled on 128 and ordered one extra controller for a spare. I wound up using them all.

Sequencing was a blast. I was mesmerized for months and spent every spare moment (and then some) making all those lights blink in all those ways. By the time I fully realized what I was in for I was already in up to my neck and there was no turning back. The biggest shock was the extension cords. I finished de-bugging the connections about six minutes before the show went live for the very first time. (I've always been a deadline sort of guy but that was ridiculous.) But I'm thinking we're nearing the saturation point now - at least until I get officially retired, anyway...

Static growing up.bought our house . 2000 static until 2008 my sister got me a gemmy 6 channel lightshow. used it for two years,liked it the first year not so much the next.Looked up computerized light shows on the net,found lor and 2011 will be very very exciting

james campbell wrote:

Static growing up.bought our house . 2000 static until 2008 my sister got me a gemmy 6 channel lightshow. used it for two years,liked it the first year not so much the next.Looked up computerized light shows on the net,found lor and 2011 will be very very exciting
sorta did the same only with a 4 channel Mr. Christmas. when i googled computerized light shows I found www.wowlights.com. spent several months worrying the snot out of them with my 20,000 questions. ended up purchasing 32 channel setup and a few other goodies from them. been good to work with.

caniac wrote:

james campbell wrote:
sorta did the same only with a 4 channel Mr. Christmas. when i googled computerized light shows I found http://www.wowlights.com. spent several months worrying the snot out of them with my 20,000 questions. ended up purchasing 32 channel setup and a few other goodies from them. been good to work with.

Wow lights very good,I got some strobes from them

started 3years ago with gemmy 12 channel pre program set up used for 2 years was not happy with it found light o rama will be my first year have 32 haloween sequences and 57 christmas sequences to try happy happy hook on light will have 8000 lights

• The topic was locked