Light-O-Rama Forums

Lasers

Caleb Linburg

Do a search on lasers. There are a number of threads on them. There are a number of issues to overcome with them; safety, aiming them properly, licenses, planes and airports, creating a haze outdoors just to name a few.

I am expanding my animated snowman into a snowman band. There are 3 snowmen in production. The plan is to have a stage with the 3 snowman playing instruments and singing and dancing. It will be a full rock concert...at least that is the plan.

The whole idea came to be after I saw TSO live in concert. Their lighting is insane and I was drooling the entire time. Anyway, I am adding a lot of new DMX lighting to the display this year, including a laser. I just purchased this laser:

http://www.musictrends.com/galaxian-laser-p-13021.html

I actually just received it on Wednesday. I really haven't had a chance to fully test it out but did play around with it. I think this is going to look the best with the fog machines that will be involved in the show, especially with the sky effect.

So, am I adding lasers, yes...but I haven't done so yet, so I don't know what it will look like.

Greg

Greg ,what is the duty cycle of your laser? (How long can it project, and how long must it then be off).

I am getting conflicting reports...

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

I am going to be 100% honest with you, I don't think there is a duty cycle...although I haven't checked. I will say that I was playing with the laser all day and had it running for well over and hour without an issues.

Maybe it's time to head to the manual....

Greg

When it doubt, I guess it pays to read the manual! (I guess it's a guy thing! :P)

From what I have been told most lasers have a duty cycle, that if exceeded shortens the lifespan of the laser...

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Greg

Beware if you have any laser aimed skyward and it hits an aircraft(even if unintentional or accidentally)! Then you'll be getting a nasty visit from the FAA along with the FEDs and/or local law enforcement as well!

It's one of the very main reasons I won't ever have lasers or anything like that in my shows. Just too riisky for my liking.

If used indoors in a garage and being projected on a back wall or onto the floor, you shold be fine.

Outside, I'd be very concerned with one even remotely hitting an aircraft! And from what I hear, when that happens, they show no mercy either, even if you claim it was accidental, FAA, nor the FED's take kindly to aircraft being hit by these things.

I don't plan on having mine pointed upward...in fact I plan on having it pointed down from the truss system over the stage. I also don't plan on having anything reflective so it shouldn't reflect upward.

Of course now I am going to double and triple check to avoid the visit from the feds.:P

Greg

I looked over the owners manual and it talked about not exposing it to moisture. I could not find a operating temperature. Does anyone know.

Could this under be mounted under a porch or roof eve and still be able to work ok?

As much as I like TSO, I spend the entire concert watching the lighting and wishing I could incorporate some of their lighting abilities into my light show (especially the video scenes!!!)!

Definitely know the flight patterns where you live. In NJ there are always planes going to several various airports in the area. There are various levels of lasers, and if the ones you purchased only go several hundred or a thousand feet or so, you will be fine. But if they are the very powerful type that can be visible for miles, then there would be a concern.

Temp wise...usually cold is not good when it comes to electronics. Having said that, December isn't really all that bad in this area temperature wise. At the very worst, just keep an eye on the weather forecasts, and if the overnight temp will get down to about freezing then just take the units down for the evening.

Caleb/Greg -

I can't find the thread, but there was one a little while back (about 4 months I think) that talked extensively about lasers. There are permits and variances required for any outdoor laser display. These are needed from the FAA and the FDA. Check this link: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/page51/page51.html. Lasers are serious deals for the feds (especially the FAA - I work for them and I know). The fines will ruin your year. Please do your homework before you end up out of the laser business.

D.T.

Tracy Holland wrote:

I found this video while prowling around for something else and it has lasers and fog machines.

these do point up tho.
I am gonna have to say this guy has too much time on his hands tho the finished product is really cool.

CKSedg wrote:

And plenty of money to do it all!
yep, but if you are gonna pimp the yard then i guess that is at least one way to do it.

When you have to put a red light on the top of the Mega Tree to keep the planes off it and still use lasers on top of the house, he must know something about them to be able to use them like that.