Light-O-Rama Forums

Life at LOR

BrownOut

I have seen on the web what it's like to work at places like Google or Foxcon. I can only imagine what it is like at LOR. I see hallways of lights and disco music.

They have a light controller and mini director just to turn the bathroom lights on when you go in. You get paid in LOR store credits too I'm sure.

Am I correct Dan?

BrownOut wrote:

I have seen on the web what it's like to work at places like Google or Foxcon. I can only imagine what it is like at LOR. I see hallways of lights and disco music.

They have a light controller and mini director just to turn the bathroom lights on when you go in. You get paid in LOR store credits too I'm sure.

Am I correct Dan?

We do not have a lot of cool stuff here. Pretty Spartan... Try go make it as low preasure as possible but around the holidays people get pretty burned out and grumpy.

Dan

I can understand the burned out & grumpy around the holidays. I was a manager of F.W. Woolworth for 13 years & it took me 12-14 years after I left to even want to decorate. Now I have lost control with LOR.

Mike

Panera bread headquarters is my workplace. There is free food all the time. Cookies, brownies, pastry rings, bagels, muffin tops, and bear claws. Free coffee, oatmeal, milk, espresso, and fountain soda.

After a year (and 10 pounds) I am bored with it all! Some days I want meat or fruit for breakfast but I always get a bagel.

When I get home.... I seek out the lights! Don't seem to get bored with that. I guess I might if I worked there.

Shameless plug:
We can test that theory! Experienced software developer and light enthusiast. If you need a QA tester or 'User experience' review of S3 I am available evenings. Will work for cosmic lights! I promise I will look at them every night and let you know if I get bored.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Panera bread headquarters is my workplace. There is free food all the time. Cookies, brownies, pastry rings, bagels, muffin tops, and bear claws. Free coffee, oatmeal, milk, espresso, and fountain soda.

After a year (and 10 pounds) I am bored with it all! Some days I want meat or fruit for breakfast but I always get a bagel.

When I get home.... I seek out the lights! Don't seem to get bored with that. I guess I might if I worked there.

Shameless plug:
We can test that theory! Experienced software developer and light enthusiast. If you need a QA tester or 'User experience' review of S3 I am available evenings. Will work for cosmic lights! I promise I will look at them every night and let you know if I get bored.

I love Panera Bread! I can feel the weight gain as so soon as I step in the door :D

The Cobblestone muffins are the bomb! I do have one observation, they've been getting skimpy on the crunch topping on the cinnamon crunch bagels. I lost interest for those bagels because of it. My wife and I love the Cuban sandwiches too.

Mountainwxman wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
people get pretty burned out and grumpy.

Sounds like a typical day around the newsroom for me.

William,

And the Control Room!

LightORamaDan wrote:

around the holidays people get pretty burned out and grumpy.

Dan

Dan, I cant see that.

It like black Fridays. You know what to expect. so you bit your tongue, stand in line and try to be patient. And say " I'm never doing this again next year." Cant get mad. It happens every year, and we all go back again.

I work with the government. A lot of people are grumpy all the time...especially if they're expected to do any sort of work!!!

Actually, I'm in what I would say is probably one of the more 'professional' divisions of our state's government, and the 60 or so people there are pretty decent. The office's morale has gone down over the years, but it's still better than what we see elsewhere.

That said, nearly every workplace thinks they have it the worst. I see comments all the time about what people think of their workplace. Like anything else, they'll ignore the good times and focus on the bad!

I work for a major telco ... and the Dilbert comics are a very accurate representation of what goes on.

Where I work at is very laid back. I will not name it specifically but wqe have beer in the break room for anyone to drink. If you smoke you can smoke in the warehouse. Very laid back but I enjoy my desk job and never have to worry about someone really bothering me in my office to try to bring me down

hcl1 wrote:

Where I work at is very laid back. I will not name it specifically but wqe have beer in the break room for anyone to drink.

ahhh...another government worker!!! :P

No offense Jeff....

kzaas wrote:

Dan gets paid in compliments:D

Yeah...I'm sure he was "overjoyed" with all the compliments in the "disappointed in the LOR Sale" thread... :P

At first I thought when the forum was not working over the weekend that Dan had finally had enough and pulled the plug!!! LOL

jimswinder wrote:

kzaas wrote:
Dan gets paid in compliments:D

Yeah...I'm sure he was "overjoyed" with all the compliments in the "disappointed in the LOR Sale" thread... :P

At first I thought when the forum was not working over the weekend that Dan had finally had enough and pulled the plug!!! LOL
Yeah, but that only lasts for about a week. The other 51 weeks he's getting compliments.

I also feel bad for Dan, as I like the secret sale ... even if supplies are very limited. I think these days people just complain instead of realizing that there are winners and losers in everything. They tried to be as fair and open as possible, there was nothing more they could have done.

And I see the same thing on the DIY COOP(s) ... those who miss out, always complain and gripe and think there is a better way., instead of just dealing with it.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Shameless plug:

I go into the local store and tell the new girl “I really like the St. Louis Bread Company”. They look really confused until an old timer explains.

taybrynn wrote:

I work for a major telco ... and the Dilbert comics are a very accurate representation of what goes on.

I worked at Pacific Bell engineering and my boss was Scott Adams cubical mate at one time. I actually had the pointy headed boss and a perfect model for him I might add.

jimswinder wrote:

hcl1 wrote:
Where I work at is very laid back. I will not name it specifically but wqe have beer in the break room for anyone to drink.

ahhh...another government worker!!! :P

No offense Jeff....

No offense taken. Sadly, beer would be a ethical issue. Not the beer itself; just the free giveaway!

Although, if someone's going to offer me a free calendar or a free beer, both of which put my job in jeoperdy, you know which one I'm going for!!!