Light-O-Rama Forums

Does your LOR license ever expire?

Guest guest

Okay, I tried searching using as many variations of "Does a LOR License ever expire" and came up with absoluteluy nothing.

So does your license ever expire? And if it does, how do you know when it will expire?

Most software I have that has "expiration licenses" show that information when you click on teh Help option and then "about the software". LOR just shows my name that I registered with, my license key and what license I have (Advanced). And most are only good for 1 year and have to be renewed. Some I have have lifetime licenses. But I have no idea how the LOR License is set up in this respect.

So I am very curious to know where I would find the info on wether or not a LOR license expires and the costs associated with renewing such license, again, if it expires.

Or does the license never expire?

I keep looking, but can't seem to find the information on licensing expiration dates or renewal fees.

I just bought my license in 2010, around January or possibly February (really don't recall exact date), but it would be nice to know well ahead of time when the license would (if it does) expire to plan for renewal by saving the money for it in advance.

Thanks for any info.

Your license for S2 never expires. But you may not get a free upgrade to S3 when it comes out. Dan has not comfirmed that but he has hinted at it since he started the license thing.

The license never expires. LOR is in its 10th year of business. Our very first customers have had free software/firmware upgrades since day one. At some point there will be a fee associated with getting upgrades or new features in the software. But your software will continue to run even if you opt out on new upgrades.

Dan

Thanks Brian and Dan. Like with any upgrade to the latest, greatest software, I would expect at some point to have to pay a fee to upgrade.

Most software I own does allow for a certain number of upgrades or most will allow an upgrade for free for 1 year from the date you first purchased the software, after a year, any future upgrades would cost a small fee, and of course those can vary, some are 50% less than the current software price, although some have even been 60%-75% less than the current cost, but not many. and then there are those rare ones which want the current full price to upgrade, no discount at all.

But unlike LOR, these programs(the ones that want full price to upgrade) tend to have pop up windows when a new version comes out, and if you opt not to upgrade, actually terminates some of the working features in the software!

Of course there is absolutely NO MENTION of this aspect anywhere when you buy their software.

That really irks me no end too, especially when their "new upgrade" or "new version" won't even work on the computer system the "original" software purchased was used on due to the new system requirements!

Or if your hardware goes bad and you have to replace it (like a CD/DVD Recorder), it won't support the new drive. Won't mention any names, but I have one program I really liked to use and when I replaced my CD/DVD Recorder with a new one, the software won't allow me to burn videos I take with my camera to DVD without upgrading, because the upgrade minimum system requirement tells me it won't operate on the computer I need it on. But it still allows me to burn audio or data CD's. Now just how screwy is that?

Plus when you upgrade to the next version it removes everything from the previous version that IS NOT included in the newer one, like an Audio Editor that I really like to use. Fortunately the Audio editor doesn't require an upgrade and doesn't expire, but I can't install a new version and still maintain software that was part of the old version, tried that once and get an error message, "current version does not support this version of the {audio program name}".

So I am glad to hear LOR does not take this route, if one did opt not to upgrade for whatever reason.

Would have been really annoying to opt out from a LOR upgrade, and then find some of the software features locked out because you didn't buy the next upgrade/version in line.

Needless to say, I don't buy software or upgrades from those companies that do this to the software, and always hope I can find out about something like this well in advance before even buying from such folks.

So I am very relieved to know that I don't ever need to worry about my software from LOR to stop working, or aspects of it to be locked out, because I opt not to move on to the next upgrade of the software for reasons of my own or due to my computers limitations.

Dan believes in good customer service. I know...we don't understand why either. We simply guess he's a nice guy or something. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't upgrade, I'd doubt it'd be hardware limitations, the software isnt intensive. Personally, I have an idea of what I'm guessing the price will be to upgrade my copy, and if I'm right, it will be cheap. But that's the cool thing, it is optional. Besides, they know we eventually end up upgrading anyway because we want to play with the new features and we inevitably end up buying additional hardware :)

If you start using multiple systems you can run into the 5 system limit, and there isn't a way to deactivate a now unused system. Fortunately, LOR has that covered internally and it isn't a real issue at all. Heck, they don't even make you buy new hardware to get new features.