Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing Sequences into LOR Demo ? Working up North

Denis Chaput

Will be working up in Northern Saskachewan in a remote location, due to weight restrictions will not be able to bring my laptop.They will supply me with one once I get on site ,my question is if I download the DEMO version can I import my sequences that I am working on now and work on them in the demo version.I would be working two weeks in and one week out at home . I figure that I can remove the demo version when I am done working remotely in October.

What do you guys think will this work ?

Denis

That would be great I will just load the demo onto a memory stick with a few of my sequences and work away on them on my off time in the evening.

Denis Chaput wrote:

Will be working up in Northern Saskachewan in a remote location, due to weight restrictions will not be able to bring my laptop.They will supply me with one once I get on site ,my question is if I download the DEMO version can I import my sequences that I am working on now and work on them in the demo version.I would be working two weeks in and one week out at home . I figure that I can remove the demo version when I am done working remotely in October.

What do you guys think will this work ?

Denis

What makes you want to work up in this part of the cold, snowy country of ours? Where are you heading to Prince Albert area?

Maybe after you been up here for awhile you might talk your family into moving up here.

If we can get that Edmonton mini going this summer maybe you can join in the fun. Something to think about.

If you want you could always email me your sequences for safe keeping and then I could email them back to you.

Don't forget that you're limited to 2 tracks in the demo version. Not sure if that matters, but something to think about.

Why not just find a wireless service and register the version on the work computer? You can always go to the control panel and remove it from that laptop when you're finished, just remember to save your sequences off it or e-mail them to yourself at your home or on-line e-mail service.

That's what I'd do if I wanted the full versatility of the LOR software to make sure what I'm doing will work.

I may be wrong, but I though the DEMO software did not allow you to save everything from the sequence editor either. So, if this is true, you definitely want your registered version so you can save everything you did.

Sure would irritate me if I put a lot of hours of work into a sequence, only to find out after I saved it and reloaded it, that a portion of the work was lost because it didn't save all the effects I had entered.

Just a suggestion.

Orville wrote:

Why not just find a wireless service and register the version on the work computer? You can always go to the control panel and remove it from that laptop when you're finished, just remember to save your sequences off it or e-mail them to yourself at your home or on-line e-mail service.

That's what I'd do if I wanted the full versatility of the LOR software to make sure what I'm doing will work.

Just a suggestion.

Just make sure sure you completely remove it from your work computer and not just uninstall it. Remove it from the documents too.

He is right about emailing them to yourself.

I hope you find the time to do your sequencing.

I believe there will be issues with the demo files being encrypted. The way things work, the demo allows you to create sequences BUT it also expects that you will eventually register the software on that PC/Laptop at which time your sequences will be decrypted the next time they are saved.

If possible I suggest you register the software on that Laptop. If there is no Internet to do the registration, you can call us OR call someone at home to run the Light-O-Rama Offline Registration Utility Program to get the offline authorization key.

I have added two additional seats to your license so that if you do decide to register that PC you will still have your original 5 seats plus a little!

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

I have added two additional seats to your license so that if you do decide to register that PC you will still have your original 5 seats plus a little!

Dan

Now THAT'S Customer Service!!!!

jimswinder wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Now THAT'S Customer Service!!!!

DITTO (thanks Dan)

To make sure you remove ALL the LOR software, here is the best way to go about it:

Go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs

Find the Light-O-Rama software

Click the Remove Tab.

(This uninstalls all the software, but may leave directories behind that are either completely empty or may have a file or two in them).

Now go to the Windows Explorer (NOT the internet Explorer)

Do a Search of "Light-O-Rama" by staring a search and entering it without the quotes.

This will bring up and show all Light-O-Rama directories.

If you've saved all your work then all you need to do is either go to edit and Select All or use CTRL A to select all the directories, left click on the mouse and choose delete.

Go to the recycle bin and right click, select empty recycle bin.

All the Light-O-Rama information, files and directories should all now be gone from the computer.

Do another search just to be certain.

Any custom directories you set up, those you may have to locate and delete manually yourself and then delete then from recycle bin.

This is how I clean them from a computer when I go to do a clean re-install of the software.

I also edit my registry and clear out any Light-O-Rama criteria in there using the Regedit program and search function in it.

However, if you're unfamiliar with the registry or don't know how to edit it to delete items, I would just leave that alone.

Lightzilla :What makes you want to work up in this part of the cold, snowy country of ours? Where are you heading to Prince Albert area? Will be working three hours air time north of Saskatoon Key Lake

Maybe after you been up here for awhile you might talk your family into moving up here. Family would divorce me rather than move away from grandchildren (Have to think about this one LOL)

Orville :Why not just find a wireless service and register the version on the work computer? Don't know what the company we are working for has for IT policy will have to find out when we get there ,we will have Internet privileges.

Lightorama Dan :I have added two additional seats to your license so that if you do decide to register that PC you will still have your original 5 seats plus a little!
Super!! who can ask for better customer service (With all the extra money will be making can I get first dibs in the sale tomorow night)

Will remember to remove software if I get approval to install software , as will be working 11 hours days,14 day strings out for seven ,Will need something to unwind what better than sequencing.

Denis

Denis Chaput wrote:

Orville :Why not just find a wireless service and register the version on the work computer? Don't know what the company we are working for has for IT policy will have to find out when we get there ,we will have Internet privileges.

Will remember to remove software if I get approval to install software , as will be working 11 hours days,14 day strings out for seven ,Will need something to unwind what better than sequencing.

Denis

Good Luck on getting the approval for the software. I know *EXACTLY* what you mean about company policy when installing "personal" software. Hopefully they'll let you install it.

Best of luck on getting approved!

Yo Denis.......that is a ways up there. Your closer to Manitoba border than the Alberta border. No Polar Bear to worry about.

Key lake has the larges uranium mine. What are you going to be doing up there?

Weather Forecast: Key Lake, Saskatchewan - The Weather Network

The link up above shows the weather for the next 2 weeks in the Key Lake area.

It sure is great service that Lor gives is it not. I am glad I use Lor.

Denis Chaput wrote:

Denis

My wife works that schedule in Ft Mac.

She has very little free time while she is up there.

Squencing may have to wait for turn around.

Looks like Dan has taken care of this, but just to be explicit about the features and limitations of the demo version:

The demo version is the same as the Basic version, except:

(1) It won't actually control your lights, and

(2) It encrypts save files that it generates.

The features of the Basic version (and other versions) can be found here:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/index.html?feature_comparison.htm

And a note about encrypted save files:

You can still use them, for the most part just like you would use an unencrypted save file. You can use them in your shows, you can modify them, you can share them with other people, they'll control your lights (assuming you are running a licensed version), et cetera.

The only difference that's typically noticeable to most users is that if you're using an encrypted file on a computer other than the one it was created on, you won't be able to copy stuff from it to paste elsewhere.

The only other difference is that you won't be able to use third-party tools on them. The LOR software will still work on them just fine, but third-party tools won't understand them. For example, if you sometimes manually edit your save files outside of the LOR software, using an XML editor, you won't be able to do that to an encrypted file.

lightzilla wrote:

Key lake has the larges uranium mine. What are you going to be doing up there?
It sure is great service that Lor gives is it not. I am glad I use Lor.

Will be overseing commisionning of New Oxygen,Steam and AcidPlant for I & C engineering startup.

Paul Xmas :My wife works that schedule in Ft Mac.

She has very little free time while she is up there.

Sequencing may have to wait for turn around Hope I have even a little time, even one half hour a night would be great just to modify my existing sequences and start a few new ones ,from April till October should be able to put a few hours into it.

bob wrote:

Looks like Dan has taken care of this, but just to be explicit about the features and limitations of the demo version:

The demo version is the same as the Basic version, except:

(1) It won't actually control your lights, and

(2) It encrypts save files that it generates.

The features of the Basic version (and other versions) can be found here:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/index.html?feature_comparison.htm

And a note about encrypted save files:

You can still use them, for the most part just like you would use an unencrypted save file. You can use them in your shows, you can modify them, you can share them with other people, they'll control your lights (assuming you are running a licensed version), et cetera.

The only difference that's typically noticeable to most users is that if you're using an encrypted file on a computer other than the one it was created on, you won't be able to copy stuff from it to paste elsewhere.

The only other difference is that you won't be able to use third-party tools on them. The LOR software will still work on them just fine, but third-party tools won't understand them. For example, if you sometimes manually edit your save files outside of the LOR software, using an XML editor, you won't be able to do that to an encrypted file.

Thanks Bob Now I know what to expect will see what the policy is when I get there and try to download the software onto laptop , now I know we will have internet privileges.

Denis