Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485 Driver

MikeH

I am installing the USB485 driver then plug in the USB, however, when I run the hardware utility the usb is installed to com 14. I remember there was a thread about this problem and how to resolve it but I can't seem to find it. Somehow I have to get it down below com 14. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

MikeH

IF you are at comm 14 and the HWU is finding the comm port at 14 I am thinking you will be ok. The problem arises when the HWU cannot find the comm port.

It is easy to run a test and see.

Can you control lights with the HWU. Make a short animation sequence and run it. If they both work, then you are good.

Ron Amedee wrote:

It was me that had the same issue..Mine was com 20. Go to the device manager and find the com ports..Right click com 14 and change to an available lower com port.

How can I tell which one is available? If they are all listed (com1-com13) does this mean they are already in use? Com3-com13 all are bluetooth serial ports, I have no idea what uses these ports. I do have one bluetooth device that I rarely used, in fact, I forget what it was for. I guess i could just use one of those.

MikeH

Com 4-19 on mine are listed as virtual serial ports i just picked one and prayed it wasn't the touch pad or something important...VERY SCEINTIFIC METHOD..THE HOPE AND PRAY..

CMOORE wrote

IF you are at comm 14 and the HWU is finding the comm port at 14 I am thinking you will be ok. The problem arises when the HWU cannot find the comm port.

The HWU will work with any com it finds !!! It's the sequencer that will not work above twelve..Dan helped me fix mine

Ron Amedee wrote:

CMOORE wrote

The HWU will work with any com it finds !!! It's the sequencer that will not work above twelve..Dan helped me fix mine

That was the problem I was having with the sequencer. I deleted com3 and moved 14 to 3. Now it's working fine. Thanks for the help Ron.

MikeH

MikeH wrote:

Ron Amedee wrote:
It was me that had the same issue..Mine was com 20. Go to the device manager and find the com ports..Right click com 14 and change to an available lower com port.

How can I tell which one is available? If they are all listed (com1-com13) does this mean they are already in use? Com3-com13 all are bluetooth serial ports, I have no idea what uses these ports. I do have one bluetooth device that I rarely used, in fact, I forget what it was for. I guess i could just use one of those.

MikeH

Have you ever installed a bunch of bluetooth devices that are using up that many ports? right clicking on them in device manager may give you some insight. If you're only using one device, seems weird that 10 are locked up like that.

I had a similar issue on one computer which actually affected software install..long story short, over time, I had used a lot of devices for projects that used FTDI usb->serial converters..had to brute force just delete them, install the LOR software, and then reinstall the converter drivers/ports as the need came up.

Some devices just take a "bunch" of ports when you install them. (port hogs)...

I am not sure what was happening here and it looks to be okay now. However there isn't an issue with COM14 that I know of. There is an issue with the Hardware Utility Program on ports higher than COM16 but the Sequence Editor goes up to COM25...

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Some devices just take a "bunch" of ports when you install them. (port hogs)...

I am not sure what was happening here and it looks to be okay now. However there isn't an issue with COM14 that I know of. There is an issue with the Hardware Utility Program on ports higher than COM16 but the Sequence Editor goes up to COM25...

Dan

Don't know what caused all these bluetooth ports to install but I deleted all of them. Everything seems to be working fine. Thanks everyone for all the insight.

MikeH