Light-O-Rama Forums

Timing

Dale J

ok stupid question, its been a while since i have done any programming so,

question one, how do i adjust the timing of a certain section so you can speed up the action like make an arch jump faster during that time, i tired dividing the sections but that didn't seem make any difference.

question two when programing my off button doesn't seem to work, meaning the one that lets you select a section of squares or deselect them the (on) button works but the only way i can deselect a square is to use the toggle button the (off) button doesn't work. I'm sure its something simple but I'm just not seeing it. as a matter of fact nothing will over wright a selection, i have to use toggle to get it turned off

version 2.8.12 and i used the beat wizard to select the timing its all the same thru out the song. i have the wave form on so i can see where to make things go but it just doesn't seem to line up.

Answer one; Add a new track, set the timing of that track to a shorter time like 1/10. You can also highlight the timespan you are talking about, and sub divide those timings by any number - works great after you used the beat wizard.

Answer two - upgrade from your version to the new version that is on the site. It might help. You also might need to perform some maintenance on your MP3 file. the timing might be off and that is why it is not stopping (just a guess though)

thanks for the reply, i think i got the timing figured out i did add or devide the timing for that part of the song but question two is the programing buttons across the top tool bar the box that turns your selection on and off doesn't seem to work the off button, it seems like things are locked on once i select them even when triying to over ride some that were on and i tried to ramp them down i had to delete first.

I have also experienced that. I found it was one mp3 that was doing this to me. And this same mp3 would not start where I stopped at. People were telling me it was something about variable rate mp3 when it should be fixed rate. I think they said to use adacity to fix it...

Dale J wrote:

ok stupid question, its been a while since i have done any programming so,

question one, how do i adjust the timing of a certain section so you can speed up the action like make an arch jump faster during that time, i tired dividing the sections but that didn't seem make any difference.

If you are using 0.10 then sub-divide that section in half... 0.05
I do this some times and it works for me. Now a days I simply use 0.05 most of the time or sometimes I use 0.04 if the song is faster. However if you use 0.10 then your best bet is to sub-divide that space in half.

Watch my video "Snow Miser" or "Under Your Christmas Tree" and you should see the effects go faster in some spots.

However you said you did sub-divide and it did not work for you..........or it did not seem to make any difference.

question two when programing my off button doesn't seem to work, meaning the one that lets you select a section of squares or deselect them the (on) button works but the only way i can deselect a square is to use the toggle button the (off) button doesn't work. I'm sure its something simple but I'm just not seeing it. as a matter of fact nothing will over wright a selection, i have to use toggle to get it turned off.

I just tried it on version 2.94 and it worked just fine. However I rarely use some of those buttons that are on the face. I click on tools and I make sure that the check mark is on select 1st of all. I then use the on & off via the mouse and/or on the key board. N for on & delete for off. By mouse I right click the mouse and scroll down to on or off. Old school but it works for me.

version 2.8.12 and i used the beat wizard to select the timing its all the same thru out the song. i have the wave form on so i can see where to make things go but it just doesn't seem to line up.

I use 128 constant bit rate but I found that the song is not always right on beat to 4/4.....the song its self is off at times. I add more than just the timing marks made by the "beat wiz", I add voice and other timing marks. So I simply take the time to sequence what songs I plan to use and do my timing marks without the help of the "beat wiz" on some of those songs and where the "wave form" is clear.

That is just me & my old school ways but the others will chime in with better methods that will help you out.

ok thanks, i'll try the short cuts when i get home, its just kind of werid maybe its the version i'm useing i did update it. thanks again

Are you using keyboard shortcuts? In the newer versions of the software the F key is no longer off. Off is now the Delete key.

Is it possible that you have "background effects" turned on?

If you do, then most tools (like On, Off, Set Intensity, Fade Up, Twinkle, etc.) will only operate on areas of the grid that are already off. Particularly for the Off tool, this will mean that the only things you're turning off are the things that are already off, i.e. that there will be no noticeable effect.

The Toggle tool doesn't pay attention to background or foreground effects mode, so will continue to work the same way as it always does regardless.

I have uploaded a video demonstrating what I mean here:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/BackgroundEffects.swf

In that video, I have some fade ups chasing through eight channels, with everything else blank. I turn on background effects mode, and then start applying various tools to the sequence, and undoing to get back to the original state before trying the next tool.

Note that the fade ups are unaffected whenever I apply a tool - only the things that are off - i.e. the things that make up the "background" - are affected.

When I get to the "Off" tool, it seems like nothing happens. This is because, like the other tools, it is only being applied to the parts that are already off.

ok thanks Bob, i must have clicked background sometime by mistake, but when looking at tools my back ground wasn't checked, did nothing until i clicked foreground and then unclicked then did back ground again and wow it works like it used to, thanks so much and as usual that's why this is the best light controlling software and support bar none, Thanks again