Light-O-Rama Forums

An issue I found with version 2.9.4

Guest guest

The issue I am having is this:

Open an existing sequence to copy to a NEW (second) sequence with lesser channels (going from 80 to 48 channels).

Create a NEW Musical Sequence.

Minimize BOTH the original and NEW sequence windows so I can copy from the original 80 channel to the NEW 48 channel sequence I just created.

Once I have copied everything I want and close the original sequence, I can not maximize, edit/cut or paste anything into the new sequence until I actually do a save of the sequence first, but sometimes this does not always work and the sequence I created is locked and I have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task manager to close the LOR Sequencer as it will no longer respond to the NEW sequence, HOWEVER, the LOR SEQUENCER IS STILL RESPONSIVE to creating another sequence or allowing me to re-open the sequence I was using or another one, I just can't do a thing with the sequence I just created! This is very frustrating as after spending several hours copying criteria only to lose the sequence and have to start it all over again.

Don't know if anyone else is having this problem or not.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

Just wanted to bring this issue to the LOR folks attention to see if they can recreate or find what is causing this problem.

Orville wrote:

The issue I am having is this:

Open an existing sequence to copy to a NEW (second) sequence with lesser channels (going from 80 to 48 channels).

Create a NEW Musical Sequence.

Minimize BOTH the original and NEW sequence windows so I can copy from the original 80 channel to the NEW 48 channel sequence I just created.

Once I have copied everything I want and close the original sequence, I can not maximize, edit/cut or paste anything into the new sequence until I actually do a save of the sequence first, but sometimes this does not always work and the sequence I created is locked and I have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task manager to close the LOR Sequencer as it will no longer respond to the NEW sequence, HOWEVER, the LOR SEQUENCER IS STILL RESPONSIVE to creating another sequence or allowing me to re-open the sequence I was using or another one, I just can't do a thing with the sequence I just created! This is very frustrating as after spending several hours copying criteria only to lose the sequence and have to start it all over again.

Don't know if anyone else is having this problem or not.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

Just wanted to bring this issue to the LOR folks attention to see if they can recreate or find what is causing this problem.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying you're doing. Could you please explicitly list the steps you take, one by one?

Please be explicit. For example, please say the buttons you are pushing, or the menu items you are using, or whatever.

Please describe each step as simply as possible, without adding any extra information about why you are doing it or so forth. Just say what you do, in the order that you do. "I press the minimize button." "I press Ctrl-C while on the first sequence." Et cetera.

Also, I don't understand how you can copy from a minimized sequence, or how you intend to paste into another minimized sequence.

Thanks.

Bob I simply open one of my 80 Channel Existing sequences in the LOR Sequencer, then I create a NEW Musical Sequence in the editor. (two sequences being open at the same time). I use either the file, then open option or usually the toolbar folder icon to do this.

Once both sequences are opened, they are at full maximization, I click on the minimize button on each sequence to shrink them so that I can work with each one.

On the original sequence I go to the channel I want to copy, I go to the edit option at the top of the sequencer software, then select row, then select copy, I then copy and paste this using the mouse right click option on the channel in the newly created sequence where I want to past the copied row too. The row copies in to the new sequence (same song, same length), just a lesser channel count.

Once I have copied each channel from the original sequence I close it so I can work on the newly created sequence some more, this is where the problem crops up at, I can no longer do anything with the new sequence, I can't maximize it with the mouse by clicking on the maximize button, it does nothing, I can't copy from it, can't paste from it, nothing, it won't even play the sequence when clicking the play button(s), but this doesn't not always happen, it is sporadic.

If I go and click on the disk icon to save it, then I can go back and sometimes, but not always, maximize it, play it, edit it, etc. Most often it's locked down and it will just sit there. But I can reopen the original sequence, I can create a new sequence in the editor, it just won't give me access to the sequence I had created, this does not happen constantly either, it happens sporadically, as most times I can re-access it after using the Save option by either the File, then Save or Save As or using the toolbar disk icon.

This is the best way I know how to explain the issue and is exactly how I am doing this. It's be nice if you could open one sequence and move it to a second monitor and then open the new one on the first monitor to make this task a lot easier.

But you can copy sequences from one sequence to another this way, I've been doing it for quite some time now, this is the first problem I've had with copying from one sequence to another (new) sequence.

Orville wrote:

Once both sequences are opened, they are at full maximization, I click on the minimize button on each sequence to shrink them so that I can work with each one.

On the original sequence I go to the channel I want to copy

Again, I do not understand how you go to the channel you want to copy on a minimized sequence.

By "minimized", do you perhaps mean "not maximized"? What does the button that you press to "minimize" a sequence look like?

bob wrote:

Orville wrote:

On the original sequence I go to the channel I want to copy

Again, I do not understand how you go to the channel you want to copy on a minimized sequence.

By "minimized", do you perhaps mean "not maximized"? What does the button that you press to "minimize" a sequence look like?

I beleive he means he is minimizing the screen...not the sequence itself by using the buttons in the top right hand corner of every window...the Dash (minimize), Single/Double Boxes (Maximize/Restore Down) and X (Close).

Just like you can put two Excel files side by side so you can work in each one. (see below)

Attached files 239085=13035-Side by side.JPG

Just a terminology issue... I belive that a window is maximized, minimized or normal. You cannot do much with a minimized window. In this case I believe we are talking about normal windows where both sequence windows are visable and resizable at the same time.

But this is important to understand because for example one window could be maximized, then an area copied, then that window minimized and another window maximized or you tab between them, etc... any and all of these parameters could be involved in reproducting the issue.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Just a terminology issue... I belive that a window is maximized, minimized or normal. You cannot do much with a minimized window.

You are correct Dan..I used the wrong term...the windows aren't truly "minimized" (just a small box in your TaskBar) but rather made less than "full screen".

I am sure there is a term for that, but it is eluding me at the moment...

imagine that!! LOL

Lets let the OP respond with the information so we know what is going on. The thing is that I cannot reproduce the issue so we need as much information as possible from the OP.

Also if the original sequence file has not been altered I ask that a copy be made to be used if necessary to reproduce the issue.

Lastly just a minor clarification.. You can have two sequence files open side by side in the sequence editor but you cannot have two sequence editors open side by side.

Dan

I have made a little video of what I'm guessing you're doing:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/NonMaximized.swf

Is that what you're doing? If not, could you please describe what you're doing differently?

If it is what you're doing, then exactly when in that does it start to go wrong for you? Immediately after you close the existing sequence?

Thanks.

Had the same thing happen to last week ,after successfully coppying channels timing and grids to new sequence ,I closed the old sequence I was copying from then when I went to work on new sequence that was already open could not do anything with it .

I had to restart my computer to be able to work on the new sequence.

Denis

This may be the same problem. I have noticed that it happens more when more than one sequence is open, when scrolling to a lower track, that the sequence editor gets very slow, meaning it takes a couple of seconds for each cell to update, while using 100% CPU.

I don't have to restart the computer, but just be patient and wait 20 seconds or so for it to finish updating the screen, then closing one of the open sequences. It doesn't happen as much when only one sequence is open.

bob wrote:

I have made a little video of what I'm guessing you're doing:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/NonMaximized.swf

Is that what you're doing? If not, could you please describe what you're doing differently?

If it is what you're doing, then exactly when in that does it start to go wrong for you? Immediately after you close the existing sequence?

Thanks.

Bob, that is basically it in a nutshell. Only difference is I am creating a completely new musical sequence from nothing, not opening one that was pre-existing. And once I've completed copying from the original sequence, then I close it down. As soon as I close the original sequence I was copying from, the sequence I was copying to is the one that freezes up. Again, sporadic and does not always happen, this happens every time you exit the original sequence, but saving the new sequence usually (8 out of 10 times) allows re-access to the new sequence where it can be restored up to the maximized window area in the sequencer.

BTW: the correct term is "Restore Down", sorry, I was using the wrong term for that when I said minimized. The dual folder icon between the -(true minimize) and the x (close) is what I use to resize both sequences so I can have them open and copy from the original to the new. But your video is basically exactly what I am doing when the problem occurs.

Steven wrote:

This may be the same problem. I have noticed that it happens more when more than one sequence is open, when scrolling to a lower track, that the sequence editor gets very slow, meaning it takes a couple of seconds for each cell to update, while using 100% CPU.

I don't have to restart the computer, but just be patient and wait 20 seconds or so for it to finish updating the screen, then closing one of the open sequences. It doesn't happen as much when only one sequence is open.

I haven't had it happen at all editing or creating one sequence, it does crop up quite a bit when working on 2 sequences at the same time, i.e. copying from one to the other.

BTW: If I close the new sequence first (if I don't want to work on the new one, this will do the same thing to the original sequence I opened.) It seems as soon as you close either one of the two sequences is when this issue occurs, but it is sporadic.