Light-O-Rama Forums

Calling All Pilots

MikeH

I plan on simulating Santa and Reindeer coming in on approach landing onto the roof of my house. I would like to make sure I have the right color lights that make up the runway and approach lights. Anyone out there have any pics or maybe give me instruction as to the layout of the lights?

MikeH.

[align=center]runwaylights_thumb.jpg?w=196&h=221[/align] Opposite is a picture showing the different colours and positions of lights that make up the approach to a runway. At the threshold we have green and at the end of the runway we have red (obvious really!). The white thick bands running up either side of the centre line lights indicate to the pilot the touchdown zone. Runways are not designed to be landed on immediately after the green threshold lights, but about 1,000ft down the runway.

You can also see in the diagram below that as you approach the end of the runway you are warned by the centre line lights changing to red progressively.
[align=center]approach_lights_thumb.jpg?w=202&h=465A detailed breakdown of the approach and runway lights [/align] We have to learn all the various colours, what they’re used for, whether the lights are variable (e.g. like your dimmer switch in your living room), and whether they’re omni-directional or uni-directional. We also have to know the spacing between the lights!
Finally, on the left of the touchdown zone you’ll see the PAPI’s. These are Precision Approach Path Indicator lights and are explained nicely in the diagram below. They essentially provide the pilot with a visual indicator as to how well he or she is doing flying the glide-slope approach to touchdown.
papi_thumb.jpg?w=299&h=283
[align=center]PAPI lights and an explanation
[/align]

Ron Amedee wrote:

Now i'm having flashbacks from flight training !!!

I get flashbacks, too, sometimes... Can you tell me how to make them about flight training?

Thanks Brian. To a non-pilot, that's really cool to watch. I've always wished there was a front window view piped into the passenger cabin so we could see where you taxi drivers were taking us.

To the pilots out there, Does any of you have video of landing at Salt Lake International? I would love to see a southerly approach from the mountain side of it.

jldavis1969 wrote:

To the pilots out there, Does any of you have video of landing at Salt Lake International? I would love to see a southerly approach from the mountain side of it.

I did a quick search on Youtube

Is this the view you wanted?

Here's one of my Airbus flights to JFK.. Nice Spring day.. landing on runway 13R.. which is also a Space Shuttle alternate landing strip (13,000+ feet long)..