Light-O-Rama Forums

I have a HUGE tree in front my wife wants to add lights to...........

Ultamitking73

I have this HUGE tree in the front and my wife says "climb it and put lights on it" .........ummmmmmm house sits on a 5ft wall as it is then she wants me to climb this thing that is taller then the telephone poll and put lights on it any suggestions? I will have pictures 2/15/11 if anyone can give me an idea and um no I am not renting a cherry picker or whatever lol I am afraid of hieghts as it is

I put lights in my back yard tree the last 2 years.Here`s how i did it.I have a 10 foot step ladder and and over 25 foot of snow shovel pipes that hook together.I tape some bent wire to make hooks on the light strands.I also made a hook for the end of the poles.I can get the lights over 30 foot up.

I had the same question a while back and the neighbor kids that like to climb trees seemed like a good idea, joking of coarse. I have about a 40 footer I am still not sure I want to tackle yet. The pole idea would be my choice if no power lines like I was told.

I use an 24' extendable painting pole with a hook on the end to lift my lights up to the top of my tree. Each year it gets a little harder to reach though... :D

Question for those using poles to hook to branches, how do you get them back down? ... he asks never having even tried this solution.

khawes wrote:

Question for those using poles to hook to branches, how do you get them back down? ... he asks never having even tried this solution.
carefully?

I have only one fear. Please remember your 20 or 30 feet of pipe with a hook on the end will make a great conductor if you loose control and it falls into a power line. I am not going to say that this is a 100% safe fix, but it might help. Find a dowel rod or something like a stair hand rail made of wood. Seal it with some varnish or other similar sealer. Put foot or two into the pipe with another 2 or 3 feet outside. Hold the wood and not the metal pipe.

So, many people never think that it could happen to them. Yet every year far to many people die from electrocution or mishaps at home. Please be safe my friends.

Max-Paul wrote:

I have only one fear. Please remember your 20 or 30 feet of pipe with a hook on the end will make a great conductor if you loose control and it falls into a power line. I am not going to say that this is a 100% safe fix, but it might help. Find a dowel rod or something like a stair hand rail made of wood. Seal it with some varnish or other similar sealer. Put foot or two into the pipe with another 2 or 3 feet outside. Hold the wood and not the metal pipe.

So, many people never think that it could happen to them. Yet every year far to many people die from electrocution or mishaps at home. Please be safe my friends.

Thankfully all power lines are underground in my area. I have also used a heavy duty extended paint pole with a hook on the end to put them up. Now I use just flood lights because the tree got way too big to reach the top.

We have a large oak tree that we light up using the following technique;

take a long rope equal to the width of the tree canopy, run three lengths of zip wire along the rope and use wire ties to hold the the wire to the rope.

Next space vampire plugs along the zip wire. We have 13 on one wire for white lights, 13 on the other wire for blue lights and a couple on the third wire we use for decorations.

I repeat this and make a second rope, but instead of one wire having a few plugs for decorations i pt about 10 plugs in for strobe lights.

Then, I rent a man lift, I run the ropes in the tree using #12 solid wire to hold the rope to the tree branches. Do not wrap the wire over your zip wire.

Next I plug the lights into the plugs.

I tried adding the lights before putting the rope up, but it's just too heavy.

We run two ropes pretty much parallel to one another, from the street it has a mutli-dimensional look.

If you send me a PM with your email I can send you some pictures of us putting the lights up and how it looks at night.

A plus to having the man lift is that we also use it to put the lights on the house, put up the star. No ladders were used in putting any lights up, very safe. We also trim the neighbors trees as a thank you for putting up with the extra traffic.

L

• 4 weeks later...

I take two skimmer poles for my swimming pool rig thre parts together so that they will still telescope to various lengths at the one end I tape a 1 inch opened end wrench to the pole and hook my lights on it this way as you go around the tree you can set your pole at diff. lenghts and use the wrench to adjust where u want your lights my tree is about 35 ft tall maybe more But as someone said make sure no power lines are present all my lines are in the rear of my house

• 2 weeks later...

I read a post last year from someone that did trees professionally, 30 ft plus.

they used rectangular down pipe. added in 10 foot sections, jigged the lights up the center. One person then walked around the tree while a 2nd fed the lights into the bottom.

Remove sections as you come down the tree,

Made wicked sense to me, may have been on PC that I found this tid bit.

Havent tried it yet, found it after I used the extend a poles and bent paint roller.