Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Lights

Mike Manzara

Just read in USA Today that some university has deemd LED lights are hazardous to the environment. It seems the red LED's have the highest concentration of lead and the whites have high concentrations of nickel the other colours are in between somewhere. The scientists do not believe the lights will leech these elements from the LED's but care should be taken when handling the strings and disposing of dead LED's may be an issue just like CFL's.

CKSedg wrote:

Hey, my theory is if something is going to kill you, it may as well be Christmas lights. Wahoooooooooooo.

Hate to sound morbid. But there have been several people each year die from Christmas lights. Either falls or electrocutions are the two common reasons along with heart attacks.
I can only think of one other activity that would be a better reason to kick the bucket.

I could see the government trying to hit us with an 'hazardous electronics waste' fee when you buy your LED Christmas lights now, lol.

I Just finished wrapping a 1" electrical PVC pipe with 6 sets of 50 bulb Pro Grade C6 LED's. While cutting off the labels i read them "contains lead, wash hands after handling" I guess you should read these labels.

For anyone intrested i got 11" coverage with a tight wrap making the 6 channel pipe 5 ft long.

Ron Amedee wrote:

On a side note i figured out that with 3 strings at $17+ and 3 at $14+ i have over $93 bucks on that one pole:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Yes, those poles/arches that you wrap cost a fortune. My arches have seven channels each, each channel has two strands at $11.99 each, and I have 6 arches. That's over $1,000---just for the lights---not to mention the PVC, fittings, stakes, etc; then it also takes 42 channels to run them. No wonder my wife has fits with my Christmas light spending!

Guest wbottomley

At one time so called "Experts" said that eggs were bad for your health. Don't eat them because they are at defcon 5.

Months later, help yourself to an egg. They're the best thing a body could have.

So you see, everything is driven by politics and money. Who has the most... will win most of the time.

My thoughts on LED's, buy baby buy!

I can remember one time some goverment body spent several hundred thousand dollars on a "Study", and determined that fresh air was bad for you! Go figure.

Max-Paul wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
Hey, my theory is if something is going to kill you, it may as well be Christmas lights. Wahoooooooooooo.

Hate to sound morbid. But there have been several people each year die from Christmas lights. Either falls or electrocutions are the two common reasons along with heart attacks.
I can only think of one other activity that would be a better reason to kick the bucket.
Max_Paul
And would that activity be sequencing?

ace_master wrote:

I could see the government trying to hit us with an 'hazardous electronics waste' fee when you buy your LED Christmas lights now, lol.

Yea, but only in Canada would they do such a thing. lol Ontario would probably band LEDs 1st.

Did you all know that we have more mercury in our mouths than there is in a CFL bulb? Those nasty fillings.

As far as LEDs go..........I shall stick with them. LEDs help me to run more lights without spending a crap load of dollars to re-wire my house and add a larger power box.

We poison our bodies daily with what we eat, drink, smoke, chew, touch, and inhale.

Anyone else in Canada get a long weekend? Thank Alberta for starting family day.

jim6918 wrote:

I'm still waiting for the change to the metric system. Wasn't that also based on some government study?

I am still waiting for you all to change to metric too. So is the rest of the world. Just remember -40c is - 40f which we get up this way almost each year.

100kph is 62mph. 10c is 50f, 0c is 32f which is nice and warm after spending three weeks in -32c temps.