Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Lights

THolland

This coming Christmas (2011) my wife and I are going to try putting a light show together for the first time. What size lights would be best to use on a 10 foot mega tree? I have read over many forums and most people have said mostly use what is best for you. Some use C7 while others use C9, some 5 mm others use something else. My tree will be about 60 ft. off the road. Also looking at having 16 strands of 100 count lights from what most people say. Is this a good count to make it look fairly full if I can find the strands around 23 or 24 foot long so they can be doubled (up and back down)? I know I can't afford a lot of strands this year but hopefully over the next few years I can keep adding. How far apart should the lights be spaced on each strand? I have looked at many strands and from what I see the lights are spaced from 4 to 8 inches apart. I Hope this is not to many questions at one time since this is my first post.

Tracy Holland wrote:

This coming Christmas (2011) my wife and I are going to try putting a light show together for the first time. What size lights would be best to use on a 10 foot mega tree? I have read over many forums and most people have said mostly use what is best for you. Some use C7 while others use C9, some 5 mm others use something else. My tree will be about 60 ft. off the road. Also looking at having 16 strands of 100 count lights from what most people say. Is this a good count to make it look fairly full if I can find the strands around 23 or 24 foot long so they can be doubled (up and back down)? I know I can't afford a lot of strands this year but hopefully over the next few years I can keep adding. How far apart should the lights be spaced on each strand? I have looked at many strands and from what I see the lights are spaced from 4 to 8 inches apart. I Hope this is not to many questions at one time since this is my first post.
i used 16 rope lights for mine (20ft) but this year I will switch to 5mm but will use 4 strands per channel (16 channel tree). working on a mock-up to determine if that is enough light.

i would think given your distance from the road brighter/bigger is better. maybe get a strand or to and place on the pole then go to the road and see what it looks like.

I use mini lights on my tree. One thing you may want to do is use 2 stings per channel. It will make a fuller looking tree. That's what I did last year and It looked really nice.

I'm not sure what mine will look like because this is my first mini mega tree, about 10 - 11' but I am using One string C6 70 count (25 feet) for each channel.

I am only doing the front 1/2 of the tree. The strings will go up and back down close to the same spot

Being 60ft off the road, you need the biggest bulb you can get (C9) so that they show. What you can do is get a string of C9's and then go to the road and see how they look, now, before the rush of the season gets you. Just my opinion,

Bill

60 ft is not far off the road, mine is 50 ft, I have a 12 ft 1" gray PVC, I use 100 count mini lights, each 100 count, I roll each string of light up to the middle, 50 bulbs on each side of the pole, works out great, this will give you a look of 32 count, the male end is #1 and the female end is # 17 and #2 and #18 and so on. I have one controller that controls this tree.

If you PM me, I will be glad to send you a picture from 2009, I did not make one last year. I have not figured out how to add it to this reply.

Good Luck

Danny

Tracy Holland wrote:

Thanks for all the information. I know it will be hard to find any lights over the next 6 months unless you find them in a yard sale or want to pay an overpriced amount for them.
actually there are several web sites having sales, have already started to stock up.

some guys here use CDI.com but I have also used 1000lights.com and noveltylights.com

This is the time to buy them, by September/October the prices will be going up.

The big things is to decide how many of what you want, then let google to the work! lol

I agree with Caniac..Now is the time to buy. I choose CDI because of the quality of LED's. I got all Pro Grade and once you see them for youself you would not be happy with anything else. In fact i gave away all my incandesents last week to a good freind of mine. Granted at $17.00 a 50 bulb strand is expensive yet you get what you pay for!! The C6's are awsome, both color and brightness and the full wave dimm great.

Yes. Buy through the next 6 months!

As for the tree, Danny nailed it. You are pretty close to the road, minis will look good. My tree uses 300 count garland light minis (so there is a cluster of 3 bulbs every 4 in.) The video on my website was taken from about 65-70 feet from my megatree. Link is in my signature.

I use icicle lights to "fill out" my tree. Take a look at the pic in my profile and that tree is 23 feet tall and approx. 150 feet from the road and it shows up very well.

Thanks for all this info. I will see what I can do about getting some lights before to long. I have learned a lot from all these forums on different topics. Somethings may work for me and others may not. Thanks again to everyone here.