Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing More Than One Channel Configuration into a Sequence

Robert Opper

Hi all!

I've search the forums but hadn't found what I'm trying to do. I have about 15 sequences with up to 256 channels for my house. Some of my neighbors are interested in getting in on the "action":D. So with the sequences that I already have I want to add four 16 channel controllers, one per house for a total of 4 houses, to the sequencing. I've already set up a channel configuration with it's own file name for the 4 controllers with channel settings and colors. My thought was to just add this "add-on" to the existing sequences without going through assigning the added channels for each song/sequence. 15x16x4=960 assignments. Plus in the future if I want to add more controllers I can just make another configuration with assignments and add it to the sequences desired. I've tried it several ways but am not getting the desired results. Is there a way I get this done with ease? Also, if it was put into a sequence as an animation would it be loaded with that song/sequence through the show editor and played when that song is qued ? I'm really not sure the best and easiest way to do this.

Thanks!

Bob

I don't believe you can do it they way your wanting to.

If you want to add these 4 controllers, you will need to take your existing configuration (for your home) and add the 4 to it. And then import into all your sequences with the new configuration file.

You can't have multiple configurations per sequence, pretty sure about that.

You could have a configuration for just your home and another for your home+(the four new homes) ... and just import one or the other into each sequence ... but that could get confusing and I don't see why you would want to.

I have two homes in my show ... and I just started the other house at 21,22,23,... and my home runs 1,2,3,...,20 ... I gave myself the first 20 even though I only have 12 controllers thus far.

You need to just add the new controllers to the bottom of the configuration file, track 1 ... and then you can organize them better in a track#2 if you want. Do not re-arrange track#1 unless your prepared for a ton of additional work (as it will require changes to the existing sequences).

Actually it is what I'm looking to do. I want to keep the "my house" sequences as one file and "my house plus neighbors houses" as different file/sequences. I though I would jsut copy the existing sequence with channel arrangements and import the new assighnments from a list already made up.

Over the last few seasons I've added things to the display and have rearranged the channels for ease of programming the individual sequences. Unfortuniately I don't have a Master configuration to work from. I saved each song/sequence configuration as it's own file and thought I would/could just add the already configured "add-on" to each sequence. My thinking was that each song/sequenced channels were rearrange for ease of that song/sequence and I could just add a predefined channel list to each of the sequences without goin through and doing all the channel assignments.

I see if I add it as an animation I cant veiw it in the same animation window. It is viewed seperately. I'm not getting a good vibe about this! :shock: lol

Thanks Taybrynn

OK, glad I could help a bit.

What I'd recommend is to just create a dummy musical sequence of 1min length or less ... and call it something like 2011 master configuration sequence.

You start by importing your latest 256ch configuration into it ... or take the last and most complete song you did ... and export a config file from it ... then import it into your new 2011 master config sequence as a starting point.

Then you would create your "my home" plus "My home plus neighbor" versions of it.
THen export two config files from those dummy config sequences.

The idea is to also draw your animation view into these dummy config sequences ... and then when you export them into config files ... you get all that in every sequence you import that config into. Just be careful maintaining the two copies and make sure you keep them in sync with each other, esp. in track#1.

If you like a default timing of say 1 second in track#1 and a second more organized track#2 with say no timing ... save your configuration sequence as such ... and then it'll be that way after you import into your sequences. You can create multiple views (in tracks 2,3,...) that if you put them into this config sequence ... then you'll get those when you import into the pre-existing sequence files as well. You may loose any pre-existing tracks 2+ when you import, so beware of this possibility. You won't loose any timing events that were there, but you might loose the tracks you previously had in those sequences and perhaps also the timings as well.

Once you have these two master (dummy) sequences created, you can export your 2011 versions as config files and import them into all your sequences.

I'm thinking that may be the way to go. I was hope I could just add them already set up. This way I would end up with two master tracks as I should have had, and the ability to manipulate them independently without changing the other. I think I'm going to the wishlist next! lol With the idea of being able to add a predifined channel list to any existing sequence. (but I'm sure some of the experts have already asked for it)

Thanks for your input Taybrynn! I appreciate it!

Bob

Any other thoughts?

It is possible to import two different configurations into two different tracks. It may not solve your problem, but if you want to, for example, save the configuration of just track 2, then:

1. Save the sequence.
  2. Delete all tracks except the track you want to export (e.g. track 2).
  3. Export the configuration.
  4. Don't save the sequence (or you'll lose the tracks you deleted.)

To import that configuration into track 2, re-order that track by right-clicking on the track title bar and selecting "Move Track Up". Now it's track number 1. Import the configuration, then move it back to track 2 by selecting "Move Track Down".

Very clever ... you learn something every day.

I still think that the KISS principle applies here.

Even though its far from perfect, LOR having these configuration
files and tracks is very nice ... because software like Lightshow Pro (LSP) still doesn't
have this and the reality is ... we re-wire our shows and change layouts
and display items ... and the software needs to be able to handle that
without making all our prior songs obsolete.

Thanks for all the input. I've tried several ways and came up with one that should do the trick even though it's a few more clicks of the mouse. (I can't really complain)

My sequences were left in their "worked" arrangement/order with the channels moved around. If I had a master with the added channels it would be a time consuming job to align the "old existing" channels to the new "house +4" master configuration for the copy and paste step. If I didn't line up the channels in the right order, the copy and paste from "old" to "new" would leave some to a lot of the sequencing on the wrong channels. Make sense?

So this is what I came up with.

I made a seperate channel configuration file with the new controllers and designations and saved it. (I called it "64 add-on")

I saved a song/sequence channel configuration for each song/sequence that I have. (this way it saves the channel order for when I copy and paste)

I then opened a new sequence with a new name for the set up and song I'll be working on. Using the "64 add-on" configuration.

I added 256 channels (16 existing controllers) above the top/1st channel.

Then imported the saved "old" configuration for the song I'll be working on. Then just copied the sequencing to the new track.

This way all my channels and sequencing are still where they should be with the added channels at the bottom of the track.

TADAAAA!!! lol Hopefully this all made sense!

I have to say that this community makes one feel at home! Thanks for all the input!