Light-O-Rama Forums

Spiral Tree Test Updated

mmais68569

Looks great. How do you hold the light strings away from the center of the tree and still retain the spiral look? Are the strands zip tied to one another?

Aaron

Not the nylon besides I have turn buckles on one end of each rope to keep tight if needed. I have had it set up in the back yard for a month now & if anything they are a little tighter do to the colder temperatures.

Mike

So when I first read this I was thinking large clothes pins to hold on the lights, now I see it is safety pins. I assume the light cord is captured in the pin and the pin actually poked through the rope? Is that correct? Do they weather well?

• 1 month later...

How many strings, and are they all wound in the same direction.
Looks great and I'm building one for my show but I'm doing something wrong as it dosen't spin right and I'm not sure if it's the sequencing or the way I have them hung on the tree. I have 8 going right and 8 going left.

Thanks for any help that you can share.
John

John (oldandslow) wrote:

I have 8 going right and 8 going left.

I think normally most of us have all the spirals going the same direction...

John (oldandslow) wrote:

How many strings, and are they all wound in the same direction.
Looks great and I'm building one for my show but I'm doing something wrong as it dosen't spin right and I'm not sure if it's the sequencing or the way I have them hung on the tree. I have 8 going right and 8 going left.

Thanks for any help that you can share.
John

There are only 16- 100ct strings of clear mini's all wrapped in the same direction. What I did was number each top location where I was going to connect the lights. Then on the bottom base I divided it into 16 places to hook the lights to on the bottom, & numbered them. I then started at the top location #1 & wrapped the string of lights around the tree tight till I had it stopping at location #9 on the bottom. Next one went fro #2-#10, #3-#11, #4- #12all the way around. Just take your starting # & add 8 to it & that will give you the ending # When you get to #9 on the top that would go to # 1 on the base.
I hope this helps any more questions PM me.

Mike

John; interesting idea having 1/2 clockwise and 1/2 counter clockwise. I assume that every other one in clockwise.

When sequencing I would have to think of it as 2 trees.

Thanks, That helps alot. I will redo my strings and use a sample sequence for spiral trees that another member has sent me. I'm glad that I started to build this now instead of waiting until November.
Thanks to everyone on this board that has helped me numerous times.
John