Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie looking for feedback

Chick Kazienko

I have attached what I feel I am going to use for my first display in 2011. Any suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated. I hope I am headed in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

Attached files 236356=12894-Xmas House display 2.JPG

Chick Kazienko wrote:

I hope I am headed in the right direction.

I don't think there could be a "wrong" direction when it comes to lights and controllers!! :)

I agree with Jim.
I was worried about my house having too much variety with different light types and colors. At the end, it looked great.

You'll find it hard to imagine until the lights go up that first time.

Looks like a great start to me.

Chick Kazienko wrote:

I have attached what I feel I am going to use for my first display in 2011. Any suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated. I hope I am headed in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

My only concern would be electrical cords going across the sidewalk (liability) if that is indeed a sidewalk in front of your house.

And I think I would put the Mega Tree back into the yard somewhere...might be too overpowering that close to everyone's view.

Chick Kazienko wrote:

I hope I am headed in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

If you keep making right hand turns, no worries...

Soooo, how many channels are you planning on this? Looks like 96+

Jim
That is a sidewalk and I too am a little concerned I was thinkin of putting the controller under middle tree to eliminate most of cords then covering the few that run across. The mega will be about 15 ft I'm the yard just didn't have room on screen to draw it that way. Thanks again

Bob
I was planning on 64 but really thinking 96 is the #. Just have to consider $ and it being first yr and no idea of sequencing didn't want to bite off more than I could handle

Chick Kazienko wrote:

Jim
That is a sidewalk and I too am a little concerned I was thinkin of putting the controller under middle tree to eliminate most of cords then covering the few that run across. The mega will be about 15 ft I'm the yard just didn't have room on screen to draw it that way. Thanks again

There have been others that have had issues with their county/city regulations about putting Christmas Decorations on "City Property", which I would imagine the other side of the sidwealk would be since it is part of that "City Street Access" area...

I second watching out for that sidewalk..

If it is like here, you have two issues. The first is the liability issue of a tripping hazard on the sidewalk. The second is that here, your property line is usually where the main yard touches the sidewalk. Both the sidewalk and parkway strip are city property, but your responsibility to maintain.

So, any decorating out there gives the city extra leverage to complain, as they can call it tresspassing, or something similar, for putting unauthorized items on their property..

Chick Kazienko wrote:

didn't want to bite off more than I could handle

until you bite it off, you won't know if you can swallow it!!! lol

As big as your house and yard is, I think you could "swallow up" 96 channels in no time!!!

You can always "not use" any channels...but you can't use channels you don't have...

EDIT:

Not even counting the arches or your "red" elements, I count 96 channles already!!!
If you use four colors (RGBW) per element.

Add at least 7 channels per arch, that's another 28 channels...

I'm thinking 144 channels minimum...

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

My only concern would be electrical cords going across the sidewalk (liability) if that is indeed a sidewalk in front of your house.

After further reveiw I concur with Jim on this if you don't have to have your display on the boulavard then don't to many people walking by and at any given moment someone accidently unplugs one of your elements, rendering your display from fantastic to mediocre I would keep all of my displays on my own property that way you won't have to worry about any pedestrians.

(And yes this was a run on sentence to lazy to insert comas LOL)

Don Gillespie wrote:

hmmmm...a few commas would have been less work than another complete sentence... :)

jimswinder wrote:

hmmmm...a few commas would have been less work than another complete sentence...

Commas and apostrophes definitely seem to be the bastard stepchildren of the written English language these days...

Chick - I ditto all those who say to stay well back from the sidewalk. In my town the City owns right-of-way for 33' from the center of the street and they get quite snippy if I place anything on "their" land.

Another thing to consider is the height of your front-most display elements. Don't look at it from your perspective standing across the street - look at it from sitting on a chair (or in a car seat) in the middle of the street.. If possible, you want to make sure that people can see over the top of your front items, rather than having to look through them.

Jim
I only have white and multi color strings but I am leaning toward the higher channel ct. The arches are my biggest question i have made enough segment to do 15' white, 10' white and 10 multi but was thinking about using the multi as poles. on same channel as white. but guess it all depend on channels.

all the feedback has been great and now got me spending more and more. can't wait

Chick Kazienko wrote:

Bob
I was planning on 64 but really thinking 96 is the #. Just have to consider $ and it being first yr and no idea of sequencing didn't want to bite off more than I could handle

You could always cut the arches from 4 to 2 and make them each 6CH. I'm going from 48 my 1st yr to 96 this yr and I already see the difference in sequencing. I dont know how some of these guys do it with 300,400,500+ CH. Good grief! Like Jim said, your yard definitely supports a ton of channels

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

hmmmm...a few commas would have been less work than another complete sentence... :)

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There that should make up for it LOL :D

Chick Kazienko wrote:

Bob

I started out last year at this time thinking 64...96....and ended up at 208. Sequencing gets easier the more songs you do.I sequenced about 25 and had a buddy do about the same amount.Just keep asking questions once you start sequencing.Lots of great people here as you see that will help.Oh..and i am only buying 7 controllers this year and thats it.Just cant have enough lights and controllers :)

After the 2010 christmas season I was thinking around 144 channels from 96, NOT:P Now I need to purchase 552 channels because last night I forced myself into buying 50,000 LEDs! No turning back now:D

Bob Wingert wrote:

Chick Kazienko wrote:
Bob

You could always cut the arches from 4 to 2 and make them each 6CH. I'm going from 48 my 1st yr to 96 this yr and I already see the difference in sequencing. I dont know how some of these guys do it with 300,400,500+ CH. Good grief! Like Jim said, your yard definitely supports a ton of channels

Some things like mega tree can eat up channels.

I am adding 2 mini mega trees (about 12 feet) 32 channels each = 64 plus 4 arches 7 channels each 28 Channels total of 92 channels

Sequencing is a little more work but not much more because most of the time the 2 trees are doing the same things and arches are doing chases.

Agreed adding 92 elements would be a nightmare!