Light-O-Rama Forums

Install problems

Guest guest

I just got 2 - 16 channel controllers and I am in the process of installing them. When I hit refresh or auto config of comm port it comes back no controller found. Any ideas. Thanks Bert

they are powered up ... led blinks then goes steady when i click on either auto comm or refresh ... i changed the max to 25 earlier ... i have tried both controllers (one at a time) and left the unit id set to 01 ... thanks bert

Hey,

Im having the same problems right now. I'm in contact with light o rama and it looks like my adapter may be having problems, were not to sure yet but I hope thats what s causing my problems. The controllers led is blinking but the hardware utility wont find it.

Id say contact light o rama. They have been very helpful so far.

Ive just been doing it through chat at Support@lightorama.com . I just found it on there web site. I bet it would be faster to call. Are you using the serial adaptor? cause if its not that Im not sure what it could be. it seems like ive tried everything. You could also try reseting the box by setting unit id to 00 and then turn it on for 5 sec. then turn it off and set it back to the orriginal unit id and see what happens. Thats the first thing they told me to do anyways.

jseaton wrote:

I just got 2 - 16 channel controllers and I am in the process of installing them. When I hit refresh or auto config of comm port it comes back no controller found. Any ideas. Thanks Bert

Let's first see that you can see a COM port. Don't worry about refresh. If you can't find a COM port, then I would ask if you installed the correct HardWare Utility. (HWU) There is an updated HWU that you need to install if you are using the USB485B. (Which I see that you are.)

Once you determine if the COM port is working right ... time to move on to finding a controller.

If you power up the controller, connect the cables then start the HWU, your light should go steady. If so, you now have communication with the controller. Hit the refresh to see if you get a controller number back. Still having problems? Try changing the channel numbers around ...

If you don't get a steady light, then you might have a cable issue, or quite possibly have the connector plugged into the wrong port on the board.

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion. I shut down the hardware utility, unplugged the comm cable then powered off the controller. I then powered up the controller. Plugged in the comm cable to the center connector (manual states that it is the "in data" from PC. I then started the hardware utility. As soon as it cam up the light went steady. I then clicked auto config and the same thing happened. "Unable to locate the Light-o-rama port. check that controller is connected and that it is powered on". BTW, I tried both cables in case one was bad. Thanks, Bert

You are using the USB485 so make sure you are are using the Hardware Utility that came on the CD with the USB485B.

Edit: changed the question (are you using a usb... ) to a statement after reading other posts.

Yea! that made a difference. When I tried using the hardware utility that came with the adaper earlier it said to use the one that came with the application, so that was the one i had been trying. So, I got farther, it now detected the controller on comm 4. I then hit refresh and it found it too! It then came up with "01 unkown device" in the window next to the refresh button. Im not sure it that is a problem. So, I continued witth the instructions and tried to click on "test" nothing seems to happen. Thanks fo r all of your help with this! Bert

• 3 weeks later...

I went thru all the same issues as bert,
i did the update for the hardware utility and then it found the controller, but the issue now is the LOR Sequence application finding the controller and running.

i can run the separate version 1.5.7 hardware utility and it finds everything fine, i lock the controller to the com port it was found on and even run a test and the lights work. Then i close the hardware util and open the LOR Sequence editor and i right click on the channels and set them to us the LOR controller and set the unit ID and save it.
then when i run a sequence and tell it to control the lights it does not work. and the red LED is just blinking again like there is no communication. if i close the Seq editor and open the hardware util it finds the unit fine and it all looks good. is there a firmware upgrade that i need to run to make this thing work??? help!!!

thanks gmac454

gmac454 wrote:

i can run the separate version 1.5.7 hardware utility and it finds everything fine, i lock the controller to the com port it was found on and even run a test and the lights work. Then i close the hardware util and open the LOR Sequence editor and i right click on the channels and set them to us the LOR controller and set the unit ID and save it.
then when i run a sequence and tell it to control the lights it does not work. and the red LED is just blinking again like there is no communication. if i close the Seq editor and open the hardware util it finds the unit fine and it all looks good. is there a firmware upgrade that i need to run to make this thing work??? help!!!

If your USB adapter installed as a COM port above 10, the Sequence Editor cannot see it. This will be fixed soon by an interim update (along with other changes). Here is the procedure to move the COM port: (click through these)

start -> My Computer -> View system information -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> expand "Ports (COM & LPT) -> Right click "USB Serial Port (COMxx)" -> Properties -> Port Settings -> Advanced... ----- Choose a COM port below 11 and click "OK," if none below 11 is available, move one you aren't using above 10 and use it.

Hope this helps

I am on com 2, so it is not an issue with being above comm 10. thanks for that info though.. but i still am in the same boat. I thought it might be an issue with usb 1.1 versus 2.o but i can see the unit with the hardware util.. so that kind of cancelled that out. i just do not get why one app can see the unit and the other app cannot.

gmac454

gmac454 wrote:

I am on com 2, so it is not an issue with being above comm 10. thanks for that info though.. but i still am in the same boat. I thought it might be an issue with usb 1.1 versus 2.o but i can see the unit with the hardware util.. so that kind of cancelled that out. i just do not get why one app can see the unit and the other app cannot.

Stop the Hardware Utility and run the Sequence Editor. Cick Edit -> Preferences -> Network Preferences ==> You will see the Network Preferences window. change the Dasher & X10 comm ports to (None). Then set the Light-O-Rama port to Comm2 and click OK.

The Sequence Editor defaults the Network Preferences ports to Comm1, Comm2 & Comm3. This causes problems when you have LOR on Comm2 or Comm3. We'll stop defaulting in the next version.

JOHN!! you ROCK !!!!!!!!!!! and this forum ROCKS! i am so totally appreciative of your awsome info. thank you , thank you... my aneurysm is subsiding now! man i was about to pop a vein trying to figure that out! i just hope i have the ability (in some time) to help someone out as you did! thanks

I am having the problem where my computer has a small balloon popup stating that the there is an unknown usb device. I previously used my box on halloween. I now try to hook everything back up and not the device is unknown. It is soo close to the time when the lights are going on, but now i am having this issue. I have tried everything and i still get the unknown usb device popup. I have already put in an e-mail into lightorama. I just hope that we can get this fixed before thanksgiving. I am going to start pulling out my hair. I have triend uninstalling LOR software, USB drivers. Setting the unit to 00 and then back. This didn't work for me. I have tried multiple cables and i still get the same message. I am just stuck right now. If anyone has any more information that they can pass my way i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steven

Crazyboy01 wrote:

I am having the problem where my computer has a small balloon popup stating that the there is an unknown usb device. I previously used my box on halloween. I now try to hook everything back up and not the device is unknown. It is soo close to the time when the lights are going on, but now i am having this issue. I have tried everything and i still get the unknown usb device popup. I have already put in an e-mail into lightorama. I just hope that we can get this fixed before thanksgiving. I am going to start pulling out my hair. I have triend uninstalling LOR software, USB drivers. Setting the unit to 00 and then back. This didn't work for me. I have tried multiple cables and i still get the same message. I am just stuck right now. If anyone has any more information that they can pass my way i would greatly appreciate it.

The USB adapter software appears to have been damaged in some way -- perhaps by some unrelated to LOR installation.

Stop all LOR software, disconnect the RS485 USB adapter and try this removal and re-installation:

http://www.ftdichip.com -> Resources -> visit our Utilities page -> download FTClean as a zip. Extract the two files and put them somewhere on your PC. Double-click FTClean.exe to run it. Put 6001 in the PID box and click the Clean System button. This should clean up the old USB stuff.

If you have WinXP use the procedure below, otherwise do the install from the disk that came with the USB adapter -- use the procedure in the manual, don't let windows install something on its own, it won't work.

Win XP procedure: http://www.ftdichip.com -> Drivers -> VCP -> Windows XP section (second one, not the Windows XP X64) all the way on the right --> "installation executable" click this link and run the program.

Try plugging in the adapter now.