Light-O-Rama Forums

Active Response, Headlights Off Signs...

-klb-

And here is a photo taken indoors, lights on, at least two garage doors open, so plenty of ambient light, and just the little LED flash in the camera phone...

The reflective vinyl is so bright that the camera couldn't even capture anything else to speak of... I may try to set up an example with actual headlights to give a better feel..

Attached files 235067=12821-Sign-Flash.JPG

Cool idea, and great job.

Be careful about putting it up though. In Texas the law says that have to turn your headlights on 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise. If the engine is running, you are supposed to follow this law. So you are actually asking people to turn off their engines or break the law.

Also in our "I'm going to sue you" nation, if someone drives away, forgets to turn on their lights, and has a wreck, they may come at you.

I'm a stick in the mud I know. Some cars don't let you turn off the headlights, ever. I have 2 like that, and sometimes it is a pain in the a##.

ainsworth wrote:

Cool idea, and great job.

Be careful about putting it up though. In Texas the law says that have to turn your headlights on 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise. If the engine is running, you are supposed to follow this law. So you are actually asking people to turn off their engines or break the law.

Also in our "I'm going to sue you" nation, if someone drives away, forgets to turn on their lights, and has a wreck, they may come at you.

I'm a stick in the mud I know. Some cars don't let you turn off the headlights, ever. I have 2 like that, and sometimes it is a pain in the a##.

Can you tell me what make, model, and year are the two cars you have that you can not turn the lights off while the engine is running?

ainsworth wrote:

2005 Toyota Corolla, and 2001 Ford RV.

Try turning the engine off and then setting the parking brake.Then restart the engine.That is how i have to do it with my chevy lumina.Another thing to try is pushing the light button in 3 times.

First, I used these all season at the city park. with no issues. There, different considerations come into play. The viewing space is a city park parking lot, with spaces facing the display. From what I recall, any requirements for headlights after dark only apply on public roadway. And I while some laws do extend all the way to driver in the seat, and keys somewhere in the car, I don't think headlight requirements actually apply if the vehicle is stopped within 18 inches of the curb. Or at least I have not encountered an officer who would enforce it in those circumstances. I know quite a few people with shows in the area, and not one has had any issues stemming from announcements asking for lights off. And this city show was actually first proposed by a night shift Police Sergeant, who was the other half of the design and leadership team until this last summer. These signs were actually his idea last year, but so late in the season that we did not manage to get them put together.

Yes, the signs were laid out in Adobe Illustrator, and cut on a commercial grade vinyl cutter, left over from a previous side venture that never took off. I could actually do these for people, but I think that shipping is too big a hassle, with too much risk of damage. If someone gets quotes from a sign shop for something like this, please PM me and let me know. If it is too outrageous, I may have to revisit shipping costs, and consider doing these for people.

Paul Roberson wrote:

It would not cost much to ship just the lettering

I agree, a small envelope and a thin sheet of cardboard to protect from bending, and you're set.

I think I would like to make one of these signs that is just 5-6 inches high and put it in front of my display. That way the sign would read straight across the yard, but would not block the show.

How tall are your letters? What was your distance of the signs from the viewers?

Paul Roberson wrote:

Can you tell me what make, model, and year are the two cars you have that you can not turn the lights off while the engine is running?

It is a factory setting for some cars, optional for others. I drive a ford that keeps the lights on when it is running.

Because of this, I ask people to turn their lights off if they can safely do so or if they park their cars when they listen to the music. Don't know if it helps or not.

Funny i had my voice overs asking to turn off their headlights and when i watched my show in my chevy lumina the headlights would only shut off if i shut off the car.Did a search and found out if i shut it off and apply the parking brake i could then run the car with the headlights off.

wallleyes wrote:

Funny i had my voice overs asking to turn off their headlights and when i watched my show in my chevy lumina the headlights would only shut off if i shut off the car.Did a search and found out if i shut it off and apply the parking brake i could then run the car with the headlights off.

Would your lights turn off if already running and in park then applied the parking break?

NickByrd wrote:

I think I would like to make one of these signs that is just 5-6 inches high and put it in front of my display. That way the sign would read straight across the yard, but would not block the show.

How tall are your letters? What was your distance of the signs from the viewers?

If my memory is any good, the top and bottom rows are 3 inch, and the middle row is 4 inch. The signs were up against the sidewalk on one side, so about 5 feet from the curb, and viewing car bumpers were across a fairly wide 2 lane road, and back at least 5 feet to be behind the sidewalk. So proably 40 to 50 feet.