Light-O-Rama Forums

Twinkling RGB Channels

Paul Roberson

The twinkle tool makes all kinds of colors when used on RGB channels. Its a cool effect sometimes.

I would like to be able to twinkle RGB channels by color selection.

Like: white twinkle, red twinkle, green twinkle, or even a chartreuse twinkle. : )

Anyone know how to do this easily or do I need to send this to wishlist@lightorama.com ?

You can do red, green, or blue twinkle by expanding the RGB channel and putting the twinkle effect on just the R, G, or B channel. Then collapse the channel back down to the single row and copy/paste to other RGB channels.

Not sure how to do other colors however. I've never used the Custom Twinkle to know if you could somehow do different intensities for each channel. But a quick test just made me think that won't work because it twinkles the individual channels at different times. So doing red and blue on the same pixel resulted in a twinkle of purple (as hoped), but also red and blue.

Yeah, that is not as easy as I was looking for.
I want to be able to highlight 50 rgb channels at once and
twinkle them white or whatever color.

Go to a pixel, expand the RGB channel and select the color of your choice. Then use the chase tool.

Brandon Kibler wrote:

Go to a pixel, expand the RGB channel and select the color of your choice. Then use the chase tool.

Anything that starts with "expand the RGB channel" will not be very 'convenient or easy'. : )

I had 82 RGB channels in our display last year. I wanted all 82 channels twinkle white. I could find no easy way to do this.

The chase tool does not accomplish the random effect of the twinkle I am looking for.

Maybe I am looking for something else.......

This year the plans are to have a 1200 RGB channel (3600 total channels) Mega tree.

I want to be able to blink, twinkle, sparkle (not sure how to describe it) all 1200 channels the same color very randomly giving the whole mega tree a star filled sky twinkling effect.

I know I could manually turn on/off all 1200 rgb channels in random order with the color I want, but having to do it that way certainly does not fit Dan's vision of 'easy sequencing" for LOR. : )

I know the twinkle tool in LOR does a good job with random on off. I just want to be able to tell the twinkle tool what color 'twinkle' it produces when used on RGB channels.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Brandon Kibler wrote:

Anything that starts with "expand the RGB channel" will not be very 'convenient or easy'. : )

I had 82 RGB channels in our display last year. I wanted all 82 channels twinkle white. I could find no easy way to do this.

The chase tool does not accomplish the random effect of the twinkle I am looking for.

Maybe I am looking for something else.......

This year the plans are to have a 1200 RGB channel (3600 total channels) Mega tree.

I want to be able to blink, twinkle, sparkle (not sure how to describe it) all 1200 channels the same color very randomly giving the whole mega tree a star filled sky twinkling effect.

I know I could manually turn on/off all 1200 rgb channels in random order with the color I want, but having to do it that way certainly does not fit Dan's vision of 'easy sequencing" for LOR. : )

I know the twinkle tool in LOR does a good job with random on off. I just want to be able to tell the twinkle tool what color 'twinkle' it produces when used on RGB channels.

I think that will be an important thing to get done this year. It will require an enhancement to the firmware.

Dan

One fairly quick way to simulate a twinkle is to use the Toggle tool quickly and randomly a bunch of times across the desired channel/time range, overlapping as you go. Perhaps copy and paste from and to some random areas, too. Like this:

http://www.lightorama.com/SimulatedTwinkle/SimulatedTwinkle.swf

You can use the same idea to make simulated white twinkles on RGB channels:

http://www.lightorama.com/SimulatedTwinkle/SimulatedTwinkleRGBWhite.swf

And once you have simulated white twinkles, you can change them to simulated twinkles of any color, or even simulated twinkles of a fade from one color to another, using the Color Fade tool with Foreground mode turned on:

http://www.lightorama.com/SimulatedTwinkle/SimulatedTwinkleRGBColors.swf

how many more of these quick swf tutorials are posted within the LOR domain? Or were these done with the post?

Would be nice to access them from somewhere within the website...doesn't look like the directory structure wants me to do that..the old downloads page is gone...:P

bob wrote:

One fairly quick way to simulate a twinkle is to use the Toggle tool quickly and randomly a bunch of times across the desired channel/time range, overlapping as you go. Perhaps copy and paste from and to some random areas, too. Like this:

http://www.lightorama.com/SimulatedTwinkle/SimulatedTwinkle.swf

You can use the same idea to make simulated white twinkles on RGB channels:

http://www.lightorama.com/SimulatedTwinkle/SimulatedTwinkleRGBWhite.swf

And once you have simulated white twinkles, you can change them to simulated twinkles of any color, or even simulated twinkles of a fade from one color to another, using the Color Fade tool with Foreground mode turned on:

http://www.lightorama.com/SimulatedTwinkle/SimulatedTwinkleRGBColors.swf

That looks like the quickest way to accomplish what I am looking for.

Thanks!!!!

That was a fast, and easy way to generate random twinkling Bob. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, you have one of the fastest mouse clicking abilities this side of the Mississippi! :P

Greg

how many more of these quick swf tutorials are posted within the LOR domain? Or were these done with the post?

I made those for the post. I'm not really sure if any others are on the site somewhere; sorry.

bob wrote:

I made those for the post. I'm not really sure if any others are on the site somewhere; sorry.

Thanks for making them. Without them I don't think I would have understood. :P

bob wrote:

The clips were very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post them They should be made available on some collection site for LOR tips tricks and techniques.

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

The clips were very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post them They should be made available on some collection site for LOR tips tricks and techniques.

D.T.

Ditto!