Light-O-Rama Forums

Half round tree

shfr26

I'm revamping my display for next year and am considering doing a half round tree up against my fence. It will be about 12 foot tall or so. What do you experts think would be the minimum number of channels I could get by with? I'm thinking maybe blue and white and maybe multi colored lights. Am I thinking in the right direction or am I way off on the colors? I will be stealing channels from other elements to make this work cause I do not think I will be getting another controller this year, unless I can sweet talk my wife into one more. Thanks in advance for your opinions and or advice.

My bad, did not what to edit. Need more coffee!

shfr26 wrote:

I'm revamping my display for next year and am considering doing a half round tree up against my fence. It will be about 12 foot tall or so. What do you experts think would be the minimum number of channels I could get by with? I'm thinking maybe blue and white and maybe multi colored lights. Am I thinking in the right direction or am I way off on the colors? I will be stealing channels from other elements to make this work cause I do not think I will be getting another controller this year, unless I can sweet talk my wife into one more. Thanks in advance for your opinions and or advice.

Dont know the answer to your trees...but as fas as the wife goes, you could always sugar her up with a few gift cards to her favorite hair/nail/spa place?? Just a thought. This way when March rolls thru, you'd already be ahead with a few brownie pts...Trying to think out of the box for ya...

Hi Pete,

I did 2 one half mega's this year with 12 sets of 100 count mini lights from walmart. I split the light string in half and zip tied the lights together to make one string about 11 foot long. My wife said I needed more lights on the tree. I used 12 channels for each tree.

Attached files 234870=12814-IMG_1011.JPG

shfr26 wrote:

I am doing the front 1/2 a 12ish foot tree (25 foot strings in half) 4 colours 8 channels per colour = 32 channels.

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Look at this display, it has two 1/2 round trees about that heigth.

I have seen this display. Most of the controllers are inside the tree, you can see some if you look quick.

http://www.gordonlights.com/Videos/2010.asp

Those trees each have 24 sets of 4 color superstrings (24 each of R, G, W, & :D. The trees' structure are comprised of nine 2-foot sections, plus the stars on top. Total height is about 21 feet.

The controllers mounted inside the tree are used for the tree itself and 2/3 of the 4-color mini trees in each side of the yard. Needless to say there's a bunch more controllers in other places...

If you want to see a few photos of those trees being assembled, go here:

http://www.gordonlights.com/Photos/Cindy_Gordon_2009.asp

Click on any of the thumbnails to see the full photo(s).

Might do that this year with a RGB tree.

Conversion of the above mega trees to RGB is highly likely for 2011.

Fabian

I have used 16 RGW superstrings for several years and get lots of compliments. I set an anchore in the brick and mortar over the keystone of our front entry to hold the bracket about 18 feet up. Landscaping pins hold the bottom of the 70ct leds. Due to strict budgeting, it took three years to get each strand of each color on its own channel. Get creative if you are short on channels to make it work.

Brian