Light-O-Rama Forums

Show computer

John2571

I thought I read somewhere that the LOR software didn't take much of a computer to run???

Am I wrong or is that big ram need specific to DMX?

I was actually thinking about just buying a "netbook" to run the show off of. That way just stick it in the garage with a sheet over it on a battery back up and be done.

Nick

I run my show (250 LOR channels) on an old slow-as-molasses-going-uphill-on-a-cold-day desktop and it ran flawlessly. Enabled my show on Thanksgiving Day and disabled on New Year's Day.

Would it be better to run it off of my computer that has intel i7 980x, evga x58 4way sli motherboard, 12-24gigs of corsair ram, lg blu-ray drive, 1 128gb ssd, 1 64gb ssd for show files, 1 2tb wd hdd for videos, 1 1tb wd hdd for audio, and 1 600gb wd raptor for gaming, 3 or 4 ati radeon 9650s, 12 displays, and the alienware keyboard. And, I almost forgot, a 1500wat power supply. I would have 1 slot left that I could possibly put a parell port card in,(sound card will be external)

John2571 wrote:

Would it be better to run it off of my computer that has intel i7 980x, evga x58 4way sli motherboard, 12-24gigs of corsair ram, lg blu-ray drive, 1 128gb ssd, 1 64gb ssd for show files, 1 2tb wd hdd for videos, 1 1tb wd hdd for audio, and 1 600gb wd raptor for gaming, 3 or 4 ati radeon 9650s, 12 displays, and the alienware keyboard. And, I almost forgot, a 1500wat power supply. I would have 1 slot left that I could possibly put a parell port card in,(sound card will be external)

John,

You are WAY off base... skip the "parell port card" and go with a "flux capacitor."

Other wise you won't be able to control the led rope light you're putting on the space shuttle.:)

Rick Hughes wrote:

I run my show (250 LOR channels) on an old slow-as-molasses-going-uphill-on-a-cold-day desktop and it ran flawlessly. Enabled my show on Thanksgiving Day and disabled on New Year's Day.

Hey Rick,

Are you just running your show on that or do you sequence on it also? I was wondering if sequencing was a RAM or CPU issue. Like I said earlier... I was hoping a netbook would do everything I wanted LOR.

Nick

NickByrd wrote:

Rick Hughes wrote:

Hey Rick,

Are you just running your show on that or do you sequence on it also?  I was wondering if sequencing was a RAM or CPU issue.  Like I said earlier...  I was hoping a netbook would do everything I wanted LOR.

Nick

If you are just running lor and limited dmx you should be fine. In 2010 I ran half my show off of a 20$ computer from eBay!(the other half was my iMac)

John2571 wrote:

Does anyone here think a show with up to 6 lor networks will not run on a dual core CPU?

I ran over 4400 channels across 11 networks on Dell Precision 360 running 1 GB of RAM and a 3.4 GHz (dual core) P4 CPU. CPU during show execution was marginal once the sequences were all loaded.

I wouldn't create sequences on this computer, but running the show wasn't an issue by any means.

Fabian

So, you are telling us that the current 16 network support limit is at best, an interim step before they bump the network limit again?

And 1G was adequate to hold your whole show memory resident, without paging?

Well, I suppose that's what I'm saying, yes. Whether we'll get more than 16 LOR network support isn't up to me, but alot of other things (like the sequence editor) need more TLC to handle larger channel counts before more network support. Of course once that's done I'll be changing my tune...

the only real issue I had was sequence load times. My sequence files are quite large and parsing all that XML the first time through the rotation was very painful, with each sequence taking 0:45 - 1:40 to load. Once all the songs were loaded subsequent rotations through the loop went just fine. So I enabled the "preload" option, which runs through all the sequences in a show and parses and loads them up before it starts playing the first iteration of the loop. That made everything run smoother, but there was three drawbacks:

1. Preload took about 22 minutes, and once it started there was nothing safe you could do to stop it.

2. I had to push my start time back 22 minutes to get the show to start on time, but making changes during the evening was not practical because implementing the change required a restart, which means re-preloading.

3. After the one incident where the show went bonkers and crashed restarting the computer and show took 24 minutes. People don't generally care to wait that long for the show to restart.

CPU-wise, once all the sequences were loaded I really never saw CPU climb past 10%, at most. No obvious swap file usage either.

Fabian

Fabian wrote:

Well, I suppose that's what I'm saying, yes. Whether we'll get more than 16 LOR network support isn't up to me, but alot of other things (like the sequence editor) need more TLC to handle larger channel counts before more network support. Of course once that's done I'll be changing my tune...

the only real issue I had was sequence load times. My sequence files are quite large and parsing all that XML the first time through the rotation was very painful, with each sequence taking 0:45 - 1:40 to load. Once all the songs were loaded subsequent rotations through the loop went just fine. So I enabled the "preload" option, which runs through all the sequences in a show and parses and loads them up before it starts playing the first iteration of the loop. That made everything run smoother, but there was three drawbacks:

1. Preload took about 22 minutes, and once it started there was nothing safe you could do to stop it.

2. I had to push my start time back 22 minutes to get the show to start on time, but making changes during the evening was not practical because implementing the change required a restart, which means re-preloading.

3. After the one incident where the show went bonkers and crashed restarting the computer and show took 24 minutes. People don't generally care to wait that long for the show to restart.

CPU-wise, once all the sequences were loaded I really never saw CPU climb past 10%, at most. No obvious swap file usage either.

Fabian

Sounds like time for a solid state drive :shock: