Light-O-Rama Forums

Does LOR talk to Modbus?

Charles Nafziger

I have an opportunity to pick up 5-6 Sea-Level relay control units. They have 8 optically isolated inputs (5-30Vdc) and 8 form-C DPST high current relays. Model # Sea I/O-520U.

I think they would work great to do some on/off controls based on an input.

They are controlled via Mod-bus protocol and have a pass through RS485 port to daisy chain them together (up to 255).

The catch... they are USB control input rather than Ethernet. So using a ethernet to USB converter I can connect them..... but will my LOR software (S2) talk and control them???

Searching the forums, I saw where LOR is based on Mod-bus... but.....???

Can I make this work or just eBay them off ????

They do make DMX to Mod-bus and they make Mod-bus to DMX converters. I used them a few years back on a job. I will check to see if I can find the paper work on them. But you will have to use a iDMX-1000 to make them work. You mite be better off buying a DIO 32 if you need I/O stuff.

Steve

Thanks for the info guys, We have a about 10 of these that aren't used anymore. Thought if I could talk to them via LORs it might be worth talkin' the boss out of this "scrap" LOL!!

I think my next buy will be another 16 channel controller and a DC controller board...

• 5 weeks later...

The biggest problem with Modbus is that you have to know all of the information about what you are communicating with, Device ID, type of value (boolean, integer, float, etc), and finally what multiplier to use. Modbus is great for integration between automation systems, so long as you know what is on both ends. :-(

I had some old modbus radios that I tossed into a pile. I can not remember which end was limited by speed the radios or the modbus system but I could not go over 18K speed. At the time I was only transmitted small files of stored data so it was not an issue. If you are wanting to control in real time you may want to check your speed capabilities with the modbus system as well.