Light-O-Rama Forums

clear as mud??

Guest guest

newb alert!!

I am very seriously considering a SPK-ST starter kit, coupled with a LOR1602W. I know that I'm a little late to attempt my own sequencing this year, so I figure I will buy a couple of sequences for LOR to run this year.There are two points that I'm not totally clear on:

1. Let's say I don't get a fm transmitter, and rely on my own speakers. Do the speakers used have to run through my pc, or is there a way to connect my good house speakers to the sysytem?

2. My pc is not exactly state of the art.:? From what I have gathered here it doesn't really have to be. What is the bare minimum I can get away with w/o problems?

Thanks in advance for your help. I will probably become a fixture on this board pretty quickly and look forward to learning from you.

blainedead wrote:

1. Let's say I don't get a fm transmitter, and rely on my own speakers. Do the speakers used have to run through my pc, or is there a way to connect my good house speakers to the sysytem?

The audio originates from the PC, so you need a way to get the audio out from there to whatever speakers you use. Any kind of amplifier/receiver you might have laying around with a standard Line In (RCA) jack will work just fine. You'll need a 1/8" stereo mini to dual RCA jack (such as this one) to get from the computer to the amp/receiver, and then you just hook your speakers up to the amp.

2. My pc is not exactly state of the art.:? From what I have gathered here it doesn't really have to be. What is the bare minimum I can get away with w/o problems?

For running shows, you don't need much horsepower. For sequencing, more is better.

-Tim

blainedead wrote:

So if I buy sequences from LOr to get by this year, I should be O.K.? I do plan to upgrade my pc, probably after Christmas.

Thanks for the info. I was starting to think everyone went to bed early.

By the way, there is a free source for sequences at http://lorsequences.com

just wanted to let you know...

Robogeek

Wow this is interesting.... Due to the fact that i posted this after daylight savings, my quoted post is after this one.

blainedead wrote:

So if I buy sequences from LOr to get by this year, I should be O.K.? I do plan to upgrade my pc, probably after Christmas.

By the way, there is a free source for sequences at http://lorsequences.com

just wanted to let you know...

Robogeek

Here is a repost, so it shows up at the end of the posts.

[edit]Guess not, oh well, hopefully the post gets noticed.

blainedead wrote:

Well I couldn't say for sure, since you didn't give your PC specs.

-Tim

blainedead wrote:

You will still have homework to do. You will need to determine how many lights you are going to put out. How many will you put on each channel, making sure not to overload the controller. Where are you going to put the lights. How are you going to arrange them.

These are all action items you need to do. You don't necessarily need to reply here in the forum... I'm just giving you a list of things to think about.

blainedead wrote:

Let's say I don't get a fm transmitter, and rely on my own speakers. Do the speakers used have to run through my pc, or is there a way to connect my good house speakers to the sysytem?

If you have a FM transmitter, you can use any available Boom Box (presuming it serves as a FM Radio) , or stereo receiver to power the speakers to the volume you desire. You would not have to use your computer speakers.

Don wrote:

You will still have homework to do. You will need to determine how many lights you are going to put out. How many will you put on each channel, making sure not to overload the controller. Where are you going to put the lights. How are you going to arrange them.

These are all action items you need to do. You don't necessarily need to reply here in the forum... I'm just giving you a list of things to think about.

The homework part goes without saying. My main concerns as far as this thread goes is to learn about the audio and pc issues. I started putting up lights about 4 years ago (a couple of strings of icicles). This stuff has to be far worse than cocaine. Last year i had almost 15,000 lights, inflatables, wireform, etc. Then I saw IT! Someone sent me the Carson vid in an email. My wife has been looking for a support group ever since.:laughing:

I've about decided to go ahead and get the fm transmitter anyway. What the heck, my kids can probably make it on 2 meals a day for a week or so, right ?:D

blainedead wrote:

I've about decided to go ahead and get the fm transmitter anyway. What the heck, my kids can probably make it on 2 meals a day for a week or so, right ?:D

You feed your kids!!! I didn't know you were supposed to do that. Maybe thats why my baby cries all the time.

Just kidding, I have no baby other children at the moment hopefully soon though.