Light-O-Rama Forums

Dillema

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

Ok my wife said to me why don't you sell all of your decorations and then build your own, this got me thinking if I sold a lot of stuff (controllers excluded) I could rebuild my display, (keep in mind I have a buisness so time would be a factor ) this would allow me to purchase more controllers, I have blow ups I rarly use since I started using LOR it seems a lot of the videos I have veiwed this past season are using displays that were built from scratch, I have polar bears, penguins, snowmen, deer, seals, etc etc, what does everyone think? use store bought or build your own I should poll this and see what everyone is using so I will.

When I started, I made myself a rule...

no blowmolds...

no blow-ups...

no cut-outs...

just lights...

I may introduce TWO wire frame animated snowmen this year, but it will only be seen during my "interactive display" time

Jeff Millard wrote:

My neighbor Andy (Aproct) made a very nice over-the-driveway Elf-tossing-packages frame this year. I need to visit him when he's making the next one... get some schooling...

If he were having a "Wire Frame Design Class" at the NJ Mini, I would DEFINITELY be there!!!

Jeff Millard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
no blowmolds... I love molds, but don't obsess over them. I wish I had all the Looney Tunes Santa's Best molds

There is a Tweety Bird on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TWEETY-BIRD-SANTAS-BEST-CHRISTMAS-BLOWMOLD-NEW-/360336666913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e5bd3121

I say get rid of the blow ups! They get moldy, fade, tear, etc. Plus they are energy hogs!:X

I like the wire frames in moderation. I too was considering a wire frame animated snowman after seeing miaskiewicz christian's snowman.

It's homemade stuff like this that people remember... not the Snoopy Blow Up from Lowe's.

Nick

Jeff Millard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

That's the only one I actually have...LOL

Jeff

two in the hand is worth one by the Christmas bush...

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
jimswinder wrote:

That's the only one I actually have...LOL

Jeff

two in the hand is worth one by the Christmas bush...

Thats lame but good, so far the do it yourselfers are winning this thing I really like the homemade decorations of all the comments I receive it would have to be about the home made stuff maybe thats because you can't buy it anywhere and not evey Tom, Dick and Harry have it or should I say not every Jim, George and Jeff have it LOL
:P

i have a mix. made some stuff.

big mickey and minnie mouse rope light faces for the roof. have blowmold santa/sleigh and reindeer, and 2 blowups - frosty the snowman, only on for the song, and a 7ft santa - i rewired it so it stays blown up 24/7 and the lights are on a channel. just my 2cents but do what YOU want in your show.

Guest Don Gillespie

chipwdw wrote:

i have a mix. made some stuff.

big mickey and minnie mouse rope light faces for the roof. have blowmold santa/sleigh and reindeer, and 2 blowups - frosty the snowman, only on for the song, and a 7ft santa - i rewired it so it stays blown up 24/7 and the lights are on a channel. just my 2cents but do what YOU want in your show.

No doubt just a tough decision to make my display looks pretty good just want it to look better

There aren't very many items/devices/contraptions in my display that a person could actually buy somewhere...

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

There aren't very many items/devices/contraptions in my display that a person could actually buy somewhere...

It was your display that my wife liked so much, so thanks to you I now have to revamp everything

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

I made everything in my display including designing and welding the wireframes.

This is why I shouldn't let my wife watch all the other great videos out there but this makes perfect sense we are doing something completely different from everyone else I will keep some of my display that have some meaning like my angels and my nativity displays the others are going to go to a good home did I mention I will be having a sale

I voted that I do a mix..

But that mix is about 90% DIY...

At home, I think the biggest commercial item is a pathway luninaria. At the city show, we have 24 commercial (Action Lighting) snowflakes, because mine just don't look enough better to justify the crazy time that goes into them. Heck, half of the ones I started for the house in 2007 are still not done..

Everything else is DIY... Mini trees, 10 foot tall wire frame trees, with 135 C7 bulbs of each color, arches, 3 inch core verticals, with top brackets in the park, wall mounts on the fire house... There is far more than I care to think about..

I agree, there is something neat about thinking about an idea, creating it with your own hands and than seeing it work just like you wanted it too. The best is when people come up to you and ask, "where did you get that?"..your reply...I made it...I just smile...what a feeling..I had issues with my controllers not working properly, but I did get a few good nights. One night was when the local news came to my house for the Joy of Sharing campaign. I don't have any videos this year, but they have some on their websites, even one taken from the helicopter....

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/category/watch-listen/video-on-demand/

Now once you get to this point, go to the middle to bottom of the page and type "cinnaminson" . About 5 or 6 videos will pop up.It use to be just me, but now I have to share the headlines with a 97 year old lady blowing up here house near me...And yes, that is me as the tree.. :P....sorry I love Christmas....

What I have made is the snowfalkes on the house, the Mery Christmas sign on the garage, and the Elf Arch. These items are what I would consider wireframes..

And Jeff, thank you for the kind words about my Elves...They were really a hit this year...

Andy

And this I must say was what made my year the most memoriable...I am a diehard Phillies Fan and the lost of the greatest voice of the Phillies in 2009 was hard to us all...Evidently Kalas did a reading each year and they taped and edited it for 2010. For me to have parts of my display shown while he was speaking just, just....well let me just say it was an honor for me....

Here is the link....

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2010/12/24/harry-kalas-twas-the-night-before-christmas/